RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a local bike show a few years back and noticed a dark grey chrome finish on one entrant's bike. I can't remember who he said did the work. This was a plating process and not powder coating. None of the local re-plate folks can do it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was surfing the net for chrome shopd recently and came across a few places that do black chrome. Just do a search for chrome platers under yahoo and then just start looking. Beware though. The places I found charged %50 more for black chrome. The only pictures I saw of it was on faucets and such.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I bought some door hardware when we remodeled our offices a few years back that were "black chrome". They looked the same as what you have described. A few years later, though, the truth is out. The "black" actually turned out to be a tinted clearcoat applied to chrome doorknob. It's wearing off all of the doorknobs we installed.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Do a search I had listed a place in OK city that does what is called nickel black. It is the black chrome finnish but I don't remember who they are.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your help, I found a couple of platers! Google is not the end all of search engines!!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
A word of warning. My Seca Turbo's engime and exhaust were black chrome and they turned ugly within the 1st year. Living at the shore doesn't help but at least aluminum and regular chrome can be brought back with polish. Nothing seemed to work on the black chrome. I was even leary of the black coating on the Warrior's and Superglide Sport's (bike I'd intended to buy)engines. So far, so good.

You may have better luck in your climate though.

NJW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts