RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever sanded their pipes and painted them with either high temperature paint or wrinkle finish paint?

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you watch Biker Build Off, Martin Brothers does this to one of his pipes. He used an air sanding disc and BBQ black paint. Considering most of their revenue is exhaust pipes, I would say he knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
850 Posts
i have been having my samsons for quite a while. i am ready for a change and will be doing the exact thing really soon. maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I was one of the first (if not the first) on the site to paint my pipes with grill paint at least 5 years ago. I did have to freshen them up once. They still look great, though the bike is all flat black now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That does look nice and a **** of alot cheaper than cermic coating. Has anyone used wrinkle finish on their pipes?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got off the phone with Martin Bros. and they admitted that they did because of the lack of time on the build. He did mention that they hold up as well as powder coating (which is not for pipes) and much cheaper than ceramic coating. He also said that even though ceramic coating is a superior finish all you need is one rock to ruin the finish while with BBQ paint you simply spray over it.

I asked them if wrinkle finsih would hold and even though they never have used it it might just work.

Something to think about.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I had mine ceramic coated. After a couple chips in it - I touched up those areas with hi temp paint. It was a perfect match and has held up equally well. I'd say go for it - the paint is a good choice.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I just sanded mine with some medium-fine sand paper - probably 150-200 grit (sorry, can't remember exactly)

·
Registered
922 Posts
mxjrb_651 said:
And why is powder coating not for pipes?

Powder coating is applied to the pipe electrostatically andthe entire pipe is then "baked" in an oven to get it to adhere to the surface. The powder melts and fuses into a tough coating. If you apply powder coating to something that gets hot enough to re-melt the coating, then the finish will be ruined.

I would like to do a flat white pipe like this427 Cobra. Does anyone have information on a white ceramic coating like this?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I know a guy that had his pipes powder coated on his warrior. He has not had any problem with the finish. The pipes dont get hot enough to melt the coating.

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
overheadcam427 said:
mxjrb_651 said:
And why is powder coating not for pipes?

Powder coating is applied to the pipe electrostatically andthe entire pipe is then "baked" in an oven to get it to adhere to the surface. The powder melts and fuses into a tough coating. If you apply powder coating to something that gets hot enough to re-melt the coating, then the finish will be ruined.

I would like to do a flat white pipe like this427 Cobra. Does anyone have information on a white ceramic coating like this?

I think you got "baked" before you answered this... You can powdercoat pipes and they will look great for years to come.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just had the chrome, grit and rust removed by a chrome shop for $125.

[*]
I'm going to paint it black with hi-temp paint.
[*]
Wrap the headers in back exhaust tape to keep it a bit cooler.
[*]
paint over the rest
[*]
paint the muffler cover with wrinkle finish black[/list]

Hopefully it willlook good.

·
Registered
156 Posts
No offense but I found a local ceramic coater to do my heatshields in black ceramic for $80 total... I think you got ripped...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's only 1 company in all of Miami who does ceramic coating and they wanted to charge me $200 ti remove the chrome and cleanup and$300 forthe coating totaling $500. Miami has the highest inflation rate in the US. And unfortunately I live here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts