RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is David Borla from Borla Exhaust (www.borla.com). I just bought an RS Warrior but the stock exhaust is too cumbersome and quiet for my taste. At one time, a few years back, Borla built some motorcycle exhaust systems that were very well received and we're looking at getting back into cycle exhaust again. Obviously, my Warrior is a great place for us to start (and I couldn't bring myself to using a competitors product) so we are going to use my bike as a "guinea pig" and develop at least one exhaust system if not more.I understand that the market for warrior exhaust is quite saturated and probably doesn't need another player but we would like to get an idea of where the market has gone and how it's changed since we were last involved. Any feedback you guys could give me regarding what you like and don't like about what's already on the market, what you'd like to see that isn't available and anything else you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have any other questions about Borla or exhaust in general, please don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Cheers

·
Registered
269 Posts
What I think many would like to see available is the Vance and Hines Big Radius 2-1 made for the Warrior. V&H has decided not to make it for the Warrior. I'm fairly sure you would have some definite orders if you made a quality similar style exhaust.

Others that have been more active for longer than I have I'm sure will also chime in.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
i would like a louder exhaust. i know loud doesnt equal performance but i just cant get my bike to idle loud. my harley is a twin and it idles much louder than my warrior. i dont like that

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust on your Warrior currently? Or are you talking about the stock exhaust?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If you make a Radius 2-1 performance pipe for the Warrior, you will be everone's best friend!

Something like this:

I drew these for set of custom pipes, but never got them made. It would be ideal to have full coverage heatshields for the headers, and to eliminate the flange where the collector fastens to the merger. Ideally, they would be 1-3/4" headers into the merger. Also, you'd do well to offer chrome and ceramic coated black pipes for the Warrior. There are alot of midnight riders.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
BTW, I have had Samson Street Sweepers (very loud), V&H Propipe, and the Yamaha Speedstar 2-1-2 Pipe on my bike. So far the Speedstar pipe has the best performance and clearance, but is lacking in the looks department.

Speedstar 2-1-2

V&H Propipe

Samson Street Sweepers

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Congrats on your new ride, and welcome to the forum. Enjoy both of them.

I think many Warrior owners bought their machine because they were looking for a great all-around motorcycle that incorporates unique styling with bold yet clean lines, great looks, great handling, great performance, all wrapped up in a reasonably priced and relatively low maintenance package. The Warrior is really not the absolute best at any of those criteria, but it so nicely wraps them all up into something that stands apart from nearly everything else out there.

I think those are the things that should be considered when the creative and mechanical minds start designing something new.

I really like my Rinehart Racing 2-2 shorties, with one exception... they drag/scrape way too soon on the right-handers, with the bike set up at stock height (many have lowered their rear end).

I also think that Warrior owners are willing to pay a little extra for a quality-built product that causes their machine to stand out and causes the rider to feel extra bad ass when riding. Good customer service is also a requirement, which I think everyone appreciates.

Have fun designing a system for your new Warrior.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for the feedback and welcome as well. I really love this bike, just discovering what it can do. I can't thank you guys enough for your help and please keep the feedback coming. We will begin development next week and I will keep you posted every step of the way.

·
Registered
955 Posts
For me, a performance 2 into 1 that is high on the bike, or a 2 into 2 that is high and is similar to the old Harley KR. Another thought to consider is that many of us are running the Dynojet PC-V with Auto tune, (What, you don't have one yet??) and an exhaust should incorporate the bungs for the sensors.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the bike that makes Harley riders scratch their heads.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Have you considered making a pair that have 'equal length' primary pipes? I cannot find any exhaust that keeps to this rule. I am sure mostly because asthetics won out over function.

If you are interested, I have designed a pair that has 29 inch lengths for both primary pipes....take a look....

http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/128480/1018982.aspx#1018982

I have more detailed drawings, if interested, PM me and I can get more info (if you don't think they are too ugly)

Note::::I did angle the down tubes a bit since then (all design, nothing physical made yet)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Justice said:
Welcome to the forum!

If you make a Radius 2-1 performance pipe for the Warrior, you will be everone's best friend!

Something like this:

I drew these for set of custom pipes, but never got them made. It would be ideal to have full coverage heatshields for the headers, and to eliminate the flange where the collector fastens to the merger. Ideally, they would be 1-3/4" headers into the merger. Also, you'd do well to offer chrome and ceramic coated black pipes for the Warrior. There are alot of midnight riders.

+1,000,000

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again guys,

We really appreciate this. Obviously the Warrior community is strong.

What do most aftermarket exhaust systems do with the exhaust bracket and fluid reservoir that is attached? It seems they are eliminated? Also, what's the most popular Warrior exhaust?

Seems most feel a 2-1 will outperform a 2-2? Why is that?

·
Registered
252 Posts
A lot of people just relocated the rear brake reservoir to another location such as under the seat, or behind the swingarm or another place not mentioned. You can check out all the different areas by checking out this DIY page. Then you can removed the exhaust bracket. It really cleans up the right side of the bike.

http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/129336/1023931.aspx#1023931

I'm not expert however I believe the 2-1 outperforms the 2-2 exhaust because the 2-2 loses backpressure over the 2-1 which hinders the low end torque of the bike. I hope this helps a little. I will second the notion that an exhaust in the 2-1 configuration similar to the V&H 2-1 Big Radius would be the way to go.

I'd be very interested to see what you come up with. I'm actually a high fan of Borla exhaust. My friend had one on his older 325IS BMW. It sounded pretty tough.

anyways, good luck and keep us all posted.

BTW... Welcome.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
davidborla said:
What do most aftermarket exhaust systems do with the exhaust bracket and fluid reservoir that is attached? It seems they are eliminated?

Forward Controls eliminate the rear brake reservoir and move it to the front. Others move it to clean up the looks of the bike.

Also, what's the most popular Warrior exhaust?

I'd say I see more V&H Bigshots and Propipes, and Samson pipes than any other.

Seems most feel a 2-1 will outperform a 2-2? Why is that?

The Warrior is a torque bike, not a HP bike, usually. The 2-1 keeps the Warrior's powerband in full command throughout the rev range to redline.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Welcome to the forum, pretty cool to maybe see how a new exhaust is put on the market! 2-2 pipes look pretty bad-ass, can't argue with that...but so do some 2-1. I'm thinking the Fuggin Fab Viper 2, nice pipe.
Here is the most important thing, to me, right from the get if you start designing a new pipe.....I DON'T EVER WANT MY EXHAUST TO BE THE FIRST THING TO TOUCH PAVEMENT!! Start from there and I can't wait to see where this goes, Borla exhausts are quality products.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I really like this design, I like the way it sweeps in a way to cover as much of the swing arm as possible. I never thought the swingarm on the

warrior looked good.

Justice said:
Welcome to the forum!

Something like this:

·
Registered
99 Posts
+1 Radius 2 to 1. Everyone seemed to love Peps custom pipe. Also, +1 on the black ceramic coat. There is not alot of black pipes available. i run a speedstar but would have prefered it in black.

·
Registered
65 Posts
most definitely the 2 into 1 radius in black would be awesome !!! have borla exhaust on my truck and love it.i have a v&h pro pipe right now on the warrior.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would definitely go the raidus 2 into 1. The other 2 -1 systemsthat are on the market seem to lack some in the style department. I have the Vance and Hines Big Shots but would really like a cool looking 2-1 in black. Roland Sands Tracker 2 into 1 are pretty cool.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
just out of curiosity...do you know something about production of the warrior that we dont? The warrior is no longer being sold in the US so doesnt that really limit your market?

oh and I have always heard that borla made a very good exhaust but it has also always been out of my price range. (for cars)

I currently have V&H bigshots

1 - 20 of 387 Posts