RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This DEADLY subject deserves its own thread. There are 2 threads on this forum that warn of the dangers of Phosgene Gas however the warnings are buried deep in each thread. Most welders that I have had conversations with are aware of Phosgene Gas however the DIY gang seem to be oblivious to its danger.

FYI!!!!!!!!

When heated brake cleaner will produce Phosgene Gas = deadly when inhaled.
Phosgene Gas is one of the chemicals used during the WW1 gas war attacks.
To be on the safe side I do not have brake cleaner in my shop there are safer cleaning chemicals available.

A few articles on the dangers of Phosgene Gas.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/safe...sgene-gas.html

http://www2.worksafebc.com/i/posters/2013/ws_13_09.html

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
I found out about the brake cleaner years back, but thanks for posting about it, you might have saved someone who has never got the info. The more who are informed the better. I have just gotten use to using Acetone and a wire brush, stainless wire brush for aluminum. Usually, that's all that is needed.

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
Here is an important fact for all you welders!
Even the anti-spatter for spraying on material so weld spatter doesn't stick has tetrachloroethylene in it . So check that can of anti spatter also !

Yes ! Stuff made for welding has the stuff in it too !!

Be safe boys, btk572

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Yes, it's scary stuff. IIRC, some new formulations are safer. Not that it matters to me, I use nothing but acetone or alcohol, no exceptions. Good to keep this information visible

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Good info, thanks. You reminded me of a story where soldiers use to pee in rags and wear over there face to protect themselves from chlorine gas in WWI. The show said a person couldn't get a fellow soldier to piss on there own rag. They saved the piss for themselves.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I worked in a body shop for 9 years not to mention doing brake jobs can imagine all the chemicals I have been exposed to over the years

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I was not aware of this. I used to work at a Chev Dealer and I used Brake Cleaner all the time. Unfortunately I had dropped a can of it and it had bent the nozzle over but did not break it off. I picked it up and when I went to spray it, I found out the hard way that it now had a pinhole in the stem just under the nozzle that sprayed directly into my eyes. Everything went blurry within a minute. I had to go to the hospital and have my eyes flushed for 30 minutes. VERY UNPLEASANT FEELING! My vision was shot for the entire day, but luckily no permanent damage was done. I always wear my safety glasses now when using the stuff. Same with safety wire, but that's another story.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Good & timely info. I was preparing to clean my front calipers this weekend. I expect it's okay to use if it doesn't get heated up. I have used it for years & years & I'm still here, but will "adjust" & use acetone going forward... Thanks again for the "heads-up".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts