RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am checking this out for a fellow Warrior owner who is having problems with the brake fuse blowing on his warrior. This happens whether he uses the front brake or the rear brake or both together. Anyone experience this? I thought it could be a faulty brake actuator however the fuse blows no matter what brake he actuates so with my limited knowledge I am thinking a short somewhere on the brake wire leading to the fuse box? Anyone have any ideas?.

·
Premium Member
9,076 Posts
@christok ... IMO, the easiest way to troubleshoot & isolate this occurrence is to unplug the 5-Pin Opaque, Fender Harness, Hitachi connector within the Wire Tray above the battery for the OEM built Warrior as shown below.
You'll sacrifice a 10A fuse for this procedure if the short is UPSTREAM of this connector. ;)
  • If the fuse isn't compromised when the Fender Harness is Disconnected then the short is in the Fender harness yellow wire or the actual stop light component.
    • Next step would be to reconnect the Fender Harness and Unplugging the white 3-Pin connector to the Taillight.
      • If the fuse doesn't blow the issue is the component

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a new fender with new wiring to the tail lights. The owner disconnected the yellow wire at the fender connector and connected the original tail light to the yellow and black wire and as soon as he hit one or the other brakes with the old tail light connected the fuse still blows. i will ask him tp disconnect the connector completely and try just connecting the old taillight to the yellow and black wires with the other wires not connected and see what happens. The lighting on the fender was all tested on my test bed before installation and everything worked and all the other functions work when connected to his bike ( run and integrated flash) but the fuse blows each time he hits a brake lever

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
3,085 Posts
It’s got to be on the yellow (after brake light switches) or on the brown (feeding power to the brake light switches). After reviewing a little more, I believe I’ve ruled out the brown as that feeds power to other circuits so if that’s where the problem was, you’d always be blowing that fuse.

That leaves the yellow and the actual component.

Product Rectangle Font Line Slope

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,638 Posts
Yep.

This trouble is either bad wiring by the pilot, or a damaged wire after the rear fender electrical connector, or some similar mishap. We cannot find it. It's custom wiring. Alan's descriptive instructions need to be applied to the custom wiring while at the bike.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
we will do the test with the fender wiring connector disconnected and then connect to the yellow and black wires on the bike side of the connector and see what happens. thanks for everyone's input. will let you know what happens

·
Premium Member
9,076 Posts
@christok ... Another Logical simple test, Not mentioned in my OP, that can be performed AFTER unplugging the 5-Pin Fender Harness (Key-Off) follows:
  • Do this 1st to prevent sacrificing a 10A fuse if the short is in the Main Harness:
    • Using a continuity meter check the Yellow Brake Light (BL) wire to Ground. This wire is exclusively for the BL and has 1-Branched connection between the Frt Brake Light switch & Rear Brake Light switch. It's possible that there is a short in internally wired bars or at the Foot switch and frame or pinched. The Yellow wire is assessable at several locations including within the Headlight housing. Feed back isn't an issue with the Fender Harness disconnected and both brake light switches are Normally Open Contacts so the Yellow wire shouldn't have continuity to Ground as it's isolated.
      • I've experienced this type failure more than a handful of times since mentoring members in days gone by ;)

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay the fender connector was disconnected and the yellow and black wires on the bike side of the wiring were connected to the tail light and the fuse blows when the brake is hit so I guess the problem is somewhere along the brake circuit either in the brake actuators or the yellow wire leading to the connector between the actuators , fuse box and the connector. I will have the owner do the continuity test as suggested. Thanks for everyone's input

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an update. The owner took his bike to a shop where they said that this problem was quite common. They simply did not waste any time trying to locate the problem and replaced the wire from the switch to the fuse box which solved the problem. I guess it would have taken longer to try to locate the problem and fix it than just replace the wire. Thanks for everyone's input

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It sounds like there were many install errors, and some mystery wiring, and you got him close. I've always admired your high level of customer service.
In this case I don't think there were any errors in the installation. It was most likely a preexisting condition not quite at the causing problems stage and the playing around with the wiring brought the problem to the surface. Probably disconnecting the connectors which entailed some pulling caused the problem in the bike wiring to surface. I am just happy that this forum can provide needed information and that the members who are experts in their field take the time to try to help. Again thanks everyone for your input

1 - 12 of 12 Posts