RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Friends.
I am new owner of Warrior 06 and would like to get advise from more expirienced riders in regards to engine brake-in technique.
I read a lot on the web, but there are controversal opinions about this issue, some says igonore the manual and drive it hard likehttp://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm, and other says to follow the manufacturer manual.

Could you please share your opinion
Thank you in advacnce.

·
Registered
389 Posts
First of all welcome to the site... you will learn all you want to know here...
As far as break in goes, be easy on the tire for 50-100 miles and then ride like you will ride every day that you climb on it...

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Farid

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I'm a firm believer in his method....That's exactly what I did....Easy warm up for about 2-3 miles then hammered it going hard and letting the engine decel in every gear. with a couple of miles of "rest" time in between each session of that. continued that for about 20 miles. I believe the first 25-50 miles is the most critical.

Ride it like you stole it and the rings will seat nice and tight.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Use the tips in the link, they work great. I used the manual when the bike was brand new and when I changed to HC pistons I could see that the rings had not sealed perfectly. The HC pistons was broken-in on a dyno. And when I installed the 110" kit I could see that the rings sealed perfectly. For 110" kit I used every trick in the link.

·
Registered
618 Posts
yea some people say follow the manual, but after i had a engine built for my gsxr, i asked what to do for the break in....the builder told me to take it to the drag strip and use it for what he built it to do. i think the whole 500 mile thing is more of a manufacturer safety net so newbies dont just go out and hammer on a new bike.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I road mine like I stole it. It has 26k on it now and is fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have 1200 miles on mine. I was told take it easy for the first 100 miles. Then it is all good. So, now I ride it like I am on an R1.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
i tried to behave for the first 1000 kilometres like the manual told me. it worked for 10 kilometres and i started hammering it.

48000km so far and no problems with performance or oil

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for posting this info. I've got a new Midnight on order and I'm learning about the Warrior as fast as I can. I'm coming from a Honda VTX1300 which I've only owned for about 6 weeks (it hasn't been a great experience) and I'm trading it on the Warrior.

I will definately use this break in method. It makes a lot of sense.

JamieB

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I also came from a vtx 1300. Boy was that the right move. Good luck to you and be ready for a big smile that you just can't get rid of when your riding. I used that break in method on 3 of my bikes and they all ran or run like crazy! None of this take it easy stuff at all.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had my 2006 warrior for about 4 days now, and I've got 250 miles on it. I've been running it hard, in spurts, with lots of engine decel. I should be through the most critical stages by now.

Don't forget to change your oil early. Like after 50-100 miles. Don't wait until 600 miles. Personally, I'm planning on using conventional oil until 1000 miles or so, then switching to amsoil synthetic 20w50.

·
Registered
761 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Pyre

I've had my 2006 warrior for about 4 days now, and I've got 250 miles on it. I've been running it hard, in spurts, with lots of engine decel. I should be through the most critical stages by now.

Don't forget to change your oil early. Like after 50-100 miles. Don't wait until 600 miles. Personally, I'm planning on using conventional oil until 1000 miles or so, then switching to amsoil synthetic 20w50.

Good plan.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts

Yep, I agree as well....My first change was at about 75 miles. Stuck to dino until I think about 2K miles then went to mobil 1 v-twin....Could have changed sooner though.

·
Registered
747 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Farid

Dear Friends.
I am new owner of Warrior 06 and would like to get advise from more expirienced riders in regards to engine brake-in technique.
I read a lot on the web, but there are controversal opinions about this issue, some says igonore the manual and drive it hard likehttp://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm, and other says to follow the manufacturer manual.

Could you please share your opinion
Thank you in advacnce.

I haven't had the opportunity to try something like this because I always buy new.. but when I read this a few months back, it actually made perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dear All
Thank you for sharing your opinion. Will try to follow your advice.
Good luck to everybody and safe ride.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm at about 300 miles now. I've quit worrying about break in riding and I'm just riding like I would normally. I notice the bike starts easier now and my gas milage has gotten better. I used the tips from the link above.

Shifts are pretty loud but they get better when the bike has been run for a while. I'm looking forward to 600 miles so I can replace the gear oil with synthetic. I think that will help.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts

I'm at about 300 miles now. I've quit worrying about break in riding and I'm just riding like I would normally. I notice the bike starts easier now and my gas milage has gotten better. I used the tips from the link above.

Shifts are pretty loud but they get better when the bike has been run for a while. I'm looking forward to 600 miles so I can replace the gear oil with synthetic. I think that will help.

Still change with regular oil at 600. You should stick with that until around 1500 miles, then hit the synthetic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts