RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I have been reading the recall discussion on here and to be honest Im scared to go and ride my bike lol I dont want it to die on me while Im out on the highway. Is there a way I can check to see if the CPS recall has been done? Do they keep track of whats been done through the vin number if I call Yamaha? I bought an 07 with 1100 miles and I have no idea if any of the recalls or anything has been done. Does this cps go out on every machine?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I'm running an '02, and quite frankly am not doing the recall until I have a problem. I've heard too many comments of members having issues after the recall.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Hmm, well, one way to tell is to check your VIN plate on your frame. The stealers are supposed to be "punching" them on the plate above certain locations that indicate which recall has been done.

Keeping in mind, certain recalls apply to certain years. Not sure which ones apply to the 07 but the NHTSA or NHSTA whatever its called is the place to search for the recall campaign's. I recently posted a few links. Let me see if I can find them and I will update here for you.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You should be safe with an 07' depending on when it was puchased. THe only recal that I'm aware of that includes the 07' models is the CPS. If the bike was sold after the recal noticed wa released then the dealer is required to preform the recall before the bike was sold.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You can call a local dealer and have them check the VIN or probably call the Yamaha USA phone # also.

Don't freak out about it if it isn't done yet. If the recall hasn't been done and it dies in traffic, stay calm and steer to the side of the rode. Call the local Yamaha dealer and have them send their truck out to pick you and your bike up and take you where you need to be. Sure it can be scary, but if you are an experienced rider it shouldn't be the end of the world.

Most likely you won't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
For what its worth, assuming the dealers are all stamping the VIN plates. This page shows the recalls, year affected and where the stamps go on the VIN plate. Hope this is helpful information.

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2007/V/RCRIT-07V039-8088.pdf

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I agree with FIRE, but wasn't it OHIOMIKE that had bit more of a problem when his quit on him?
Seems to me that if the engine quits at some higher speeds>> say highway speed....you'd better be ready to grab that clutch right? otherwise I would think the loss of power would act like down shifting and popping the clutch? and possibly locking up that back wheel.

Lets remember this is a "safety recall". Not something to put off for too long.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I would just get it done if relevant. The thought of the engine quitting in the middle of a line of semis on I-80 with the usual 30mph crosswind made me take mine in! Good luck

·
Registered
453 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gchalifo

I agree with FIRE, but wasn't it OHIOMIKE that had bit more of a problem when his quit on him?
Seems to me that if the engine quits at some higher speeds>> say highway speed....you'd better be ready to grab that clutch right? otherwise I would think the loss of power would act like down shifting and popping the clutch? and possibly locking up that back wheel.

Lets remember this is a "safety recall". Not something to put off for too long.

I would imagine it's more like letting off the gas, no need to downshift and pop the clutch or anything. I haven't had this particular thing happen to me but back in the day me and my riding buddies would do that thing where you pull up beside the next guy and reach over, turn off the kill switch while going down the highway. I'm sure it's a similar experience without the maniacal laughter that usually followed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW guys thanks for all the information. I just got done riding my bike for the first 90 or so miles and I have to say WOW rides like a dream. I loved the R1 I had but this is just so comfortable and man it has a buttload of torque, its harder to drive 20 mph on this bike than it is to drive 70! Usually the forums I am a part of theres always these idiots that have this I KNOW MORE THAN YOU attitude and it just makes me mad, Im very pleased to see I havent seen that once here I like it.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
364 Posts
quote:Originally posted by fcwarrior

I would just get it done if relevant. The thought of the engine quitting in the middle of a line of semis on I-80 with the usual 30mph crosswind made me take mine in! Good luck

This happened to me[:0]... minus the crosswinds. But like Fire had said, the wheel doesn't lock up or any thing like that. It is almost like running out of gas or hitting your kill switch; the power just disappears and you coast/bog to a stop. Except I had to dodge 3 semis first.

As far as finding out if the recalls have been done, you can look to see if your vin has been stamped but mine never was. To find out for sure, call Yamaha, not the dealer. It will save you health problems.

·
Premium Member
8,879 Posts
There is a WHITE ID mark on the top edge of the rubber grommet of the CPS harness that exits the clutch case.

Here you go: http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48921&SearchTerms=ID+mark

·
Registered
718 Posts
my 06 had the recall done but the stealer never stamped the vin. Big suprise there. I would get it done 650 lbs is alot to push. Think of it as how for do you want to push your bike when it goes out?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
quote:Originally posted by JimB

Recall?!?! What recall?!?!

It appears to be a recall on Brand New Owners.[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
337 Posts
You say you don't have the manuals, you have now.
http://www.paulmilner.com/yamaha/handbuch/handbuch.htm
Good Luck the Warrior is truly an awesome machine and the site members are all helpful and friendly

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called Yamaha today and gave them my vin number and the guy told me everything looks good, nothing was showing as a recall on my 07 so I guess Im doing ok, that makes me feel alot better. Thanks for all the info guys!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
quote:Originally posted by knyland

my 06 had the recall done but the stealer never stamped the vin. Big suprise there. I would get it done 650 lbs is alot to push. Think of it as how for do you want to push your bike when it goes out?

I guess i got lucky on my 06 because they did the same recall twice!!!! [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have an 02 without the tps or pick up coil recalls done and it runs fine it has 12000 miles on it with no problems.Not sure if I want to get them done or not.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts