RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just give me a VERY simple tutoral on how it works. If it dosen't come with a Muzzy map, how do I put one in it? Hook it to my computer? Why did a friend of mine have to hook his bike up directly to his computer?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Meat,

If you hadn't had the chance, here is the link to powercommander.com's tutorials page...

http://powercommander.com/tut_download.shtml

the PC-III intercepts the fuel injector's electrical pulse from the ECU to the injector and changes it. this is done by a software program that allows the A/F ratio to be changed in 500 RPM increments from 500 to 6500 RPM, although the useable range is 500 up to 5500 RPM. The software can be downloaded from the powercommander website, and with the software maps can be adjusted, compared. The maps must be 'sent' to the PCIII via a serial/com port, or a USB port from a computer, or a palm pilot - hence your friends connection.

It's all pretty simple... and I'm sure you searched and found about a bazillion posts on the subject. I'm actually working on a soup to nuts tutorial to post in the Maintenance/How to forum. But the description above is 'it', in a nutshell. If you have any specific questions you can e-mail/PM me and I'd be glad to help you out.

Jim

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Can you load the PCIII right at the computer, then attach it to the bike? They give you everything you need?

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
It seems that some places sell you the PCIII with PC cable and software and some don't. I got mine from Phat Performance Parts and it included both the cable as well as the PC software. The disc it cam e with also contains 20-30 common maps and you will find more at there website and here on rswarrior.com.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I bought my PCIII through www.parts411.com, it cost 288.77 (Phat has it for 299.95, but shipping is free at Phat's). It came with all the cables including the 9v power adapter that you will need when programing it.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
quote:Originally posted by MeatGrinder

Thanks. Can you load the PCIII right at the computer, then attach it to the bike? They give you everything you need?

The PCIII will have to be powered on, either by the bike directly, or via the 9V power adapter. Like Frankenstein says, you may be able to get the vendor of the PCIII to load the appropriate map for you. There is a (grey/yellow/I forget)wire that is mated to one of the injector's wires via vampire adapter that cannot be removed. So once the PCIII is installed, I'm not sure that it can be removed for connection to a 'puter. If you have trouble, you can always make a 30' serial cable out of flat wire and 2 serial connection (1male, 1female)... to route to the garage - it makes life much simpler to fine-tune adjustments. Especially, once the bike is running and you're plug chopping. I picked up a palm pilot for 25 bucks and store a bunch of maps on there, another option.

I suspect that this topic will be locked due to the depth with which this subject has been covered in the past. If you need any more help, feel free to drop me a line via e-mail or PM...

·
Registered
68 Posts
What's the difference between the PCIII and the Cobra units for sale on EBAY? I'm
assuming they are completely different....

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Sandman

What's the difference between the PCIII and the Cobra units for sale on EBAY? I'm
assuming they are completely different....

Yes, they are absolutely different. More adjustability with the PCIII, better fine tuning capability... plenty of info via search.

[url="http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6828>http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6828

·
Registered
7,194 Posts
If you want the best adjustability there is no competitor out there for the PCIII. The other ones are only slightly better than adjusting the stock ECU numbers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts