RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I believe I was the first one on this site to do the regulator/rectifier relocation that moves it up between the frame rails for a clean look. Billh1943 even put this on his site after I shared it with him.
I used 1/2" steel strips that were 1/8" thick bent into a simple L-Bracket.
While I was cleaning up the bike I noticed one of the brackets had broken at the 90 degree bend.
I just wanted everyone that has done this mod to be aware of this.
I am re-doing the bracket now with some small gussets in the bent area for extra support. I am also going to use 3/4" strips instead of the 1/2". You need to keep an eye on this possible problem area.
Thanks for your time!

Harley Jones

·
Registered
421 Posts
hj, because you hang the rectifier on the ends of a braket, vibration will be amplified there because of the mass of the rectifier. that is why the braket failed at its weakest point-the angle bend. gussets will help the bends, the weakest point will now be the braket at the frame bolts. you arent addressing the fact that all that mass is now vibrating at the other end of your brakets. if you construct the two stips as a single peice with angles in all 3 dimnesions you may minimize vibration.
I flipped the rectifier upside down above the oil filter and used 2 wire ties through the old bolt holes and around the frame downtubes. the rectifier rest tite against the cross bar and has nowhere to vibrate. everything is tite after 1000 miles, will continue to chek it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Mine was made from 3/4" steel w/ 90 degree bend and it's broken! I got it from someone here but I don't remember who. I Deleted the email.

Download Attachment: P6010129s.JPG
78.88 KB

Download Attachment: P6010128s.JPG
79.98 KB

I only had it on for 2 weeks and a 700 mile road trip. Bummer[xx(]

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
glad i never considered this mod. besides the horn relocation bracket from the legends controls hides it nicely

·
Registered
77 Posts
wow i am in the middle of this project. started last night and bent and painted. ready for assembly today. i use 20 ga stainless and the bracket is solid behind the rectifier. the piece started as a 3.5" X 6.5" piece. then i cut an inch wide strip about 2" up the middle for the wires. then bent the 90 deg bend and drilled.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I used aluminum bar stock for my brackets.

I wonder if I'll run into the same problem.

Almost 2,000 miles since I've relocated my rectifier. So far so good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts