RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fact 1: There are Yamaha dealers that continue to sell 2002 and 2003 model Warriors without disclosing that the motorcycles are subject to a life-safety critical recall. The recall is not simply a Yamaha factory recall, it is a U.S. Federal recall initiated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regarding the transmission.

Fact 2: Some dealer personnel deny that the recall pertains to the 1700 Warrior motor and may even insist that it applies only to past model 1600 Road Stars. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Go to the NHTSA site to see the actual recall language for yourself. There are also copies of the recall posted in the forums here at rswarrior.com.

I would like to see a notice posted on the home page of rswarrior.com that warns potential buyers of this problem. Visitors that dig into the forums will get this information, but it should be more readily viewed by casual visitors to this site. This is not for the purpose of slandering the Yamaha corporation. It is fact-based information and it will provide buyers with knowledge so they can speak to dealer representatives with factual information in hand. The bottom line is that Yamaha does not have control of their dealers and guys are still selling these bikes with no regard to the implications of the NHTSA recall. Be informed. Buyer Beware!

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Coyote_Warrior

Fact 1: There are Yamaha dealers that continue to sell 2002 and 2003 model Warriors without disclosing that the motorcycles are subject to a life-safety critical recall. The recall is not simply a Yamaha factory recall, it is a U.S. Federal recall initiated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regarding the transmission.

Fact 2: Some dealer personnel deny that the recall pertains to the 1700 Warrior motor and may even insist that it applies only to past model 1600 Road Stars. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Go to the NHTSA site to see the actual recall language for yourself. There are also copies of the recall posted in the forums here at rswarrior.com.

I would like to see a notice posted on the home page of rswarrior.com that warns potential buyers of this problem. Visitors that dig into the forums will get this information, but it should be more readily viewed by casual visitors to this site. This is not for the purpose of slandering the Yamaha corporation. It is fact-based information and it will provide buyers with knowledge so they can speak to dealer representatives with factual information in hand. The bottom line is that Yamaha does not have control of their dealers and guys are still selling these bikes with no regard to the implications of the NHTSA recall. Be informed. Buyer Beware!

No offense guys but with all the crying about the recall I dont think a casual visitor could miss this fact. I think Carnee has gone out of his way to make you guys happy and devoted a whole section to the recall.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I agree with Monstr. Anyone that has an ounce of common sense will (should) do a helluva lot of research before they buy a new (or secondhand) bike, through magazines, chat with other bikers and so on. I, like many other members of RSW.com, was a member of this site long before I bought my Warrior and therefore had alot more in-depth knowledge before I went to the Dealer. That way, the Dealer had little chance of getting one over on me.

Do we really need to go as far as you suggest? IMO no, I'm not convinced that we should 'nanny' potential buyers by splattering recall info all over the home page of RSW.com. It's all over the site, you can't miss it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once again, I fail to clearly make my point. I have no doubt that people will pick up on the existence of a recall issue. The thing I failed to find out until it was too late was that "NEW" '02 and '03 motorcycles sitting in the dealer showroom today are subject to the recall and the dealer has no legal obligation to say anything about it. It's one thing for a guy with 10K miles on a two year old bike to find out about a recall. It's entirely another that Yamaha continues to receive revenue on "New" bikes that have never had this problem addressed. Why are they not impounding the unsold 2002 and 2003 models? BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO! They can still take money from uninformed suckers like me.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Coyote_Warrior

Once again, I fail to clearly make my point. I have no doubt that people will pick up on the existence of a recall issue. The thing I failed to find out until it was too late was that "NEW" '02 and '03 motorcycles sitting in the dealer showroom today are subject to the recall and the dealer has no legal obligation to say anything about it. It's one thing for a guy with 10K miles on a two year old bike to find out about a recall. It's entirely another that Yamaha continues to receive revenue on "New" bikes that have never had this problem addressed. Why are they not impounding the unsold 2002 and 2003 models? BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO! They can still take money from uninformed suckers like me.

Coyote, I think that your point got accross very well, and I agree that the situation is unacceptable. The Yamaha Dealers are effectively selling goods that are knowingly 'faulty' and in England that's against the law. If it isn't in the USA then campaign to get the laws changed.

The point that Monstr and I were referring to was whether we really need to plant all of this recall info & warnings all over the Homepage of RSW.com as you suggested. I still believe this would not be needed due to the amount of recall info all over this website, you really can't miss it.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
it seems to me that the following threadhttp://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13032 is already stuck on the home page as the first thread that you come to. IMO that should be more than enough to warn potential new buyers to the problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nuff said. I personally would prefer that this is my last post on the topic and I get my bike out of recall jail in the next few days. I am definitely ready to be spending my time searching through technical postings and looking at the cool mods our members have created for their bikes. I, with all of you, am sick to death of this recall disaster.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Funny - I went to the Ford Explorer and Firestone websites and the homepages weren't adorned with "Buyer Beware." Christ, do a search on Harley Davidson recalls. The numbers are staggering.

Coyote, you wrote, "There are Yamaha dealers that continue to sell 2002 and 2003 model Warriors without disclosing that the motorcycles are subject to a life-safety critical recall." Got a credible link/source? Both Yamaha dealers in my area are not.

Also you write, "Some dealer personnel deny that the recall pertains to the 1700 Warrior motor and may even insist that it applies only to past model 1600 Road Stars." Again... who? When they say this, why not wave the recall in their face and say, "read... dummy."

Yeah- I am sick of this recall crap too. Another day near 60 here, and everyone and their brother is out on their bike while I paint the mailbox, re-arrange my tool box, or re-caulk the upstairs bathtub. I think this forum has gone above and beyond with this issue and if there are dealers out there selling "broke bikes," that's a BBB issue. Report them immediately. - Jim

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
quote:Originally posted by JimB

Yeah- I am sick of this recall crap too. Another day near 60 here, and everyone and their brother is out on their bike while I paint the mailbox, re-arrange my tool box, or re-caulk the upstairs bathtub. I think this forum has gone above and beyond with this issue and if there are dealers out there selling "broke bikes," that's a BBB issue. Report them immediately. - Jim
Over 60 degrees here yesterday, put 300 miles on the Warrior with a beautiful ride out to Cloudland Canyon yesterday, absolutely gorgeous. Think I will head up to Tallulah Gorge & Mountain City today. Spring is poking through!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, jimbob, I do have credible facts to substantiate the statements that I posted on this thread. I have names, dates, and written documentation that is now on file with the legal counsel that I have retained for my case with Yamaha. It will remain under client confidentiality until formal action is filed and the discovery phase of my suit initiates. I don't take this topic lightly and I have sufficient formal education in the subject of the law such that I do not err in making statements that open the door to slander or libel action.

How wonderful it must be to live in your little slice of utopia where everyone is fair and honest. Out in the real world where I reside, sharks still feed on the ignorant masses from 9 to 5.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Thanks for rubbing it in Stiletto regarding your current weather and riding conditions. Have fun. Another week or two, I should be right there with you. – Jim

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
I wish you well in your case and I hope your lawyer makes tons and tons of money....then gets hit bus (then he can take that manufacturer to court as well.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The plot thickens! SpearWarrior has done a bit of internet surfing detective work and found Yamaha documentation with claims that only the 1600 motors were impacted. Sounds like the NHTSA was not amused. Check out the facts by following the link at:http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13356

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
My guess is that the 1600 motors ARE the only ones impacted, but the NHTSA thought they would flex their beauracratic muscle....

By the way, it's the dealer's resposibility to pull the recalled bikes off the showroom floor, or at least not sell them. I talked to a dealer the other day (same one I bought mine from) and he's got on in his showroom, but he says it's not leaving until the recall gets done

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My dealer has one in the showroom too. It's mine! Sure nice hearing all you guys talking about getting the recall out of mind by putting in some miles on your bikes while my warrior rots in recall prison. (They do let me visit it on weekends!)

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
JimB. Yeah my dealer sold me a new 03 Warrior UNFIXED on 20Jan04. I have posted that info on other threads. I know there are dealers including mine who were probably still unaware as I was about the recall at that time. The point is that YAMAHA was well aware of the recall by then; and at some nebulous point in the past few months needed to contact its dealers (I beieve that Yamaha knows who its dealears are) and stop the dealer sales of affected new or used unrepaired Warriors. If Yamaha and the dealers involved in this fuzzy time period are unwilling to staighten out the situation, that is where the barristers will probably step in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts