RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13,027 Posts
Ok, for one like that, slip a deep well socket over the shift lever. Use a long handled ratchet as a lever and slowly crank it back. Been there on a different bike. You can heat the lever if you’re worried it might crack.

BTW, if you ever have that happen AND the actual toe lever part comes off, you take the toe lever off. Then you slip a big a$$ adjustable wrench on the arm and bend it back. I actually just did that on a buddies Harley and it worked just fine.

·
Administrator
27,734 Posts
You need a big enough socket so the toe fits inside. Seems like the toe would come off being twisted like this, but I hear most often it doesn't. I never tried so don't know. I guess you need the lever arm to be against one side in the socket and the tip of the toe against the other side so its sorta in compression. (adding: I believe Leader's post was intended to convey that 'if the toe is bolted and can be removed then slip a socket over the lever' but I could be wrong and do not want to speak for him). Either way, its possible to get lucky or possible to do further damage imo.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm really limited on tools and space. no vice etc. think i'll try to live with it, and maybe find a deal on a replacement when one comes around.

I tried to clamp it down and bang on it with a mallet, but nothing. the vice, and socket with consistent pressure and some heat. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
13,027 Posts
I’ve done it on the bike twice. Once with a big socket slipping over the toe lever. Once when you can unscrew the lever and use an adjustable wrench directly on the bent arm. Both times it actually goes quite easily.

You can buy one large deep well socket at Harbor Freight for a buck or two.

Remember, it’s jacked anyway so you have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I’ve done it on the bike twice. Once with a big socket slipping over the toe lever. Once when you can unscrew the lever and use an adjustable wrench directly on the bent arm. Both times it actually goes quite easily.

You can buy one large deep well socket at Harbor Freight for a buck or two.

Remember, it’s jacked anyway so you have nothing to loose.
Plenty to use. if i snap a lever i'm not riding. if i tweak the shaft it attaches to, that's a loose.
an OEM replacement is $100, if i have to buy a new one that's a loose.
still plenty to loose.

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
Take the lever off, clamp it in a vise, heat it up some, put a large adjustable wrench on it and push or pull slow and easy on it, keep the heat moving on the bend. If it breaks, get it welded, sand and polish.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Take the lever to a welding shop they will know how to bend it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That gas tank ......... Fill it up with water and put it in the freezer might pop the dent out it might not I could not see it too good lmk how it works out glad u are not to banged up !!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts