RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone im glad to own a 02 warrior just got it today 1000 miles on it and paid 5700 just rode it in a parking lot for a while to get used to it what a great bike -- anyway i heard alot about the recall on the tranny and just about died so i gave yamaha a call and i gave them my vin and they looked it up and said that there was nothing pulled up as far as recalls go. this is very good news she said that if the bike was under recall it would have shown on her screen,she said she keep me posted and call me if anything comes up. so now i guess i can relax - im going to enjoy riding when the weather warms up. i hope all of you who needed the recall done think positive as the issue was a significant one and with the work done you can ride in peace- talk to you all later - Jason

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I think you will find that the 02 has 3 recalls to be done. The transmission recall, throttle position sensor and the pick up coil, sometimes called the crankshaft position sensor or CPS. Oh and I nearly forgot the fuel tank washers. Unless they have already been done I would check again.

·
Administrator
28,388 Posts
Welcome aboard! Maybe they mean the couple of recall items were already accomplished. All cutting edge bikes have little things to be tweaked. Do a 'search' (forums, search) on this site for 'recall' and you'll find the ways the dealers mark the bike to show each recall was done. No worries.

quote:Originally posted by jasons

hey everyone im glad to own a 02 warrior just got it today 1000 miles on it and paid 5700 just rode it in a parking lot for a while to get used to it what a great bike -- anyway i heard alot about the recall on the tranny and just about died so i gave yamaha a call and i gave them my vin and they looked it up and said that there was nothing pulled up as far as recalls go. this is very good news she said that if the bike was under recall it would have shown on her screen,she said she keep me posted and call me if anything comes up. so now i guess i can relax - im going to enjoy riding when the weather warms up. i hope all of you who needed the recall done think positive as the issue was a significant one and with the work done you can ride in peace- talk to you all later - Jason

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
i would call her back, the 02's had 4 recalls but i wouldnt sweat it cause you could turn it to your advantage with some upgrades. welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Yup! I agree...I'd go to the local dealership and have them run the VIN to see if any of the recalls were done on that bike.

It's not a major problem, but you definitely want to have the recalls done. Overall the Warrior is still a great bike and I wouldn't trade it for any of the other bikes that I looked at before I decided to get it.

Mark aka Mad Man

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
take it by a dealer and have them look it up, it may not show on her screen because the recalls may have been perfromed, usually indicated by a punch mark by the VIN stamp, Either way its a nice bike and you will love it. recall can be a blessing because you can get "free labor " to so some nice upgrades like HC pistons and a roadie 5th gear.
Enjoy the Bike and the 4m

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
+1 what Jon said!....check the vin for the stamps!....
use this link to look up you vehicle and locate the pdf documents for the recalls associated with your bike. You'll see everything you need to know about the recalls.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

And.,....welcome to the forum!!!!

*****NOTE*****
WHEN YOU ENTER ROAD STAR WARRIOR, OR XV1700 YOU GET MORE INFO....SO TAKE THE TIME TO ENTER BOTH OR SEVERAL MODEL TYPES OF THE XV1700 AND YOU WILL SEE MORE INFO FOR THE CPS AND TPS I DO BELIEVE...

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
If you find the tranny recall has not been done, do the RoadStar 5th gear mod during the recall. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have found the truth.... called the dealer and found out all the recalls on the bike were done a total of 4 bulletin numbers 990022,990015,990034,990038 - NOW the question is with all this work done has anyone had any problems after, and with the work done ,if something should happen will yamaha fix it for free? the vin# had 4 stamp marks on it in the form of small dots above the vin. I thank the lord for this because i just bought the bike and had no idea about the recalls - I would like to thank all of you for all of your help and ideas you have really made me feel welcome Thanks again -Jason

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
called the dealer back again and they said that if something should happen after the recall work was done they would have to go in tear into the bike and find out what caused the problem before it would be covered by Yamaha - this make me think that they would rather have the customer pay for the work being done because they can make more money than if yamaha pays for it.... i shure hope i made the right choice in buying this bike. the stealer said they have had no problems with people coming back after the recalls had been done. later - Jason

·
Registered
818 Posts
Just worry about the issue at hand. And it sounds like you've got confirmation that the "Recalls" have been accomplised. Be glad it's something you don't have to screw with.

But even with only 1000 miles on the the bike it's clearly out of warranty. Limited Factory Warranty = 1 year, unlimited miles. That would probably include the recalls that were done some time ago.

Be prepared to fix it when or if it breaks. Under the circumstances if you bought it from a dealer it might be eligible for "YES" Yamaha Extended Service Program at a price of course.

But you got what appears to be a good deal, ride & enjoy, don't sweat the small stuff.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I have an 02 and just last year i had all the recalls done, they changed the sensor, but not long after that another went bad, it wasn't covered, but no worries i haven't heard of anyone having the problem i did. I just know not to take it to that Dealer again. the only thing to worry about is the traffic around you, you bought a real good bike, have fun, and welcome to the forum and the bike.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
question: will the bike charge the battery at idle or must i drive it around - and how long will it take to get to full charge i believe the battery is good just weak. thanks- jason

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
charges while riding, OR put it on the battery tender jr. for like $30.00 from your local bike or auto supply store. Over night will work well....couple hours depending on how weak it is.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It atakes about 15 minutes of riding to put a charge on the battery. Hum, sounds like a good excuse to go for a ride.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts