RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed no-one runs bigger cams without big bore kit. Its it for a reason or no-one makes upgraded cams for stock warrior motor?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I think you can, but you don't get as much out of it. There was a whole package from Yamaha that often got done together. I think most people called it the Stage IV kit, although I don't know why. It was Speedstar cams, pistons, intake, and exhaust. The intake scoop looks pretty cool, but I think a BAK proved to be a better performance intake.

·
Administrator
28,163 Posts
A stage 1 cam would do nothing more than stock does. A stage 2 cam improves low end power but the Warrior has plenty of that. By the time you get to stage 3 cams you need to increase compression to offset losses, and springs become a wise choice. The only cams I have seen for this beast are stage 4 cams. Really need higher compression and springs, good to have vbak or bak. Gotta have better exhaust flow. For street use the stock injectors work great. The stage 4 Yamaha kit had a slightly modified ECU. The PR kit does not.

High compression pistons are available for the stock bore and for bigger bore.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for info. Was curious why. I've upgraded cams on other bikes in the pass and made big difference.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
A stage 1 cam would do nothing more than stock does. A stage 2 cam improves low end power but the Warrior has plenty of that. By the time you get to stage 3 cams you need to increase compression to offset losses, and springs become a wise choice. The only cams I have seen for this beast are stage 4 cams. Really need higher compression and springs, good to have vbak or bak. Gotta have better exhaust flow. For street use the stock injectors work great. The stage 4 Yamaha kit had a slightly modified ECU. The PR kit does not.

High compression pistons are available for the stock bore and for bigger bore.
I've never heard of Stage 1,2,or 3 cams in relation to the Warrior. To my knowledge, Yamaha's Stage IV kit had the only aftermarket cams they sold for the Warrior ... any further info?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I think you can, but you don't get as much out of it. There was a whole package from Yamaha that often got done together. I think most people called it the Stage IV kit, although I don't know why. It was Speedstar cams, pistons, intake, and exhaust. The intake scoop looks pretty cool, but I think a BAK proved to be a better performance intake.
It also included stronger valve springs, different clutch spring (Barnett is better), different fuel pressure regulator, higher flow injectors, and a different ECU that included timing changes and higher redline, different tune etc. The Stage IV airkit had velocity stacks without filters so most didn't go that route and used the VBak.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It also included stronger valve springs, different clutch spring (Barnett is better), different fuel pressure regulator, higher flow injectors, and a different ECU that included timing changes and higher redline, different tune etc. The Stage IV airkit had velocity stacks without filters so most didn't go that route and used the VBak.

I knew about the valve springs, injectors and ECU, but forgot to mention them. I didn't know about the rest. I thought the Speedstar intake was part of it. Thanks for the correction.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
A few things the way has against it in stock form is the extremely low compression ratio of 8.3 to 1. Also a very limited rev range and we all know you need rev's to make power. So by adding cams you are moving the power band upwards so you also need to extend the rev range with either a Speedstar ECU or Ivan's flash.
Thanks for info. Was curious why. I've upgraded cams on other bikes in the pass and made big difference.

·
Premium Member
5,624 Posts
I am running Patrick Racing cams, adjustable push rods, the ceramic lifters, HC pistons, PCV and Ivans flashed ECU, and my bike runs fantastic, just to give you something to go by. On my Harley RGC, i just added cams, adjustable push rods, and a Power Vision to get the same results. The difference between the two is in the timing i believe. Harley timing can be changed in the ECU, the Warrior has to have an aftermarket product to do this but is limited to the cams available.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. Was thinking cams and a reflash but never could find cams for her without a fully end kit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts