RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first look at a Can Am Spyder today. I was heading south down I-45 toward Houston and saw a funky looking contraption up ahead. I wasn't sure what it was from the back but had an idea. I twisted the throttle and came up behind him. Sure enough, it was the Spyder. I came along side and got a better look and gave the guy a nod.

From the back it looked like one of those hot dog vendors on a bike with one of those cooler thingy's on it. Once I came along side it looked a little better but now it took the shape of a snowmobile with three wheels. Odd to say the least and not impressive. Anyway, although no one asked for it, there's my 2 cents on the Can Am Spyder.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My wife and I have had one for about a year. I felt the same way as you the first time I saw one, (Michigan was one of the first release states) but finally, decided to test drive. It is absolutely BAD! It's got a V twin that has a torque / HP band not too dissimilar to that of a V-Rod. It handles pretty well,But NOT like a motorcycle - once you get that out of your head, you'll start enjoying it. It's very comfortable to ride, has a trunk, and IMO looks cool. when we go on weekend trip, wifey always takes this rather than her sporty b/c it has soooo much storage.

·
Registered
337 Posts
A friend of mine has one he let me ride around Hampton Beach and Rye NH and I have to say it is a different animal. It was a blast taking tight 20mph turns at 45-50, it just sticks to the road. It feels like your going to get thrown from the saddle but when you get used to it it's fun it almost felt like a sports car with tight rack and pin. Oh did I mention it has a reverse gear which took some getting used to and yeah the storage was unbelievable.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I too was intrigued at the Can Am when it first came out. Different and the price point wasn't too bad. I test rode one and didn't like it at all. Very different riding dynamics than a traditional motorcycle. It feel more like an ATV with a feeling of being top heavy. Turns like a snowmobile. I suppose it's not a bad alternative to a trike, but as long as I can ride on two wheels, I'll stick to traditional motorcycles!

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
My neighbor has one and he rides that thing every **** day. Then he invites all his friends over and takes them around on it. It's put wheels, exhaust, etc on it and I just hear it all day saturday and sunday when he comes in for passenger pickups. Hilarious.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had one for an hour demo by myself and it had the manual clutch. It also had a pipe of sorts on it. Let me tell you, It was an hour that I will never forget. The Spyder is fantasic machine...corners well.. and will really get up and go. Has a bit of a snowmobile feel to it as you would guess.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My wife has now had hers for a couple of years. She has a custom Harley sportster that she also rides, however takes the spyder on longer trips or whenever my 5 y.o. son tags along with us. She does love it. It's fun, fast, and safe. Has tons of storage, and very very comfortable to ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts