RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll keep it short. I removed my rims to get powdercoated. Every articleI've read on this site says to place thehub needle bearings if removed. WellI pulled thehub out of the wheel but never removed the needle bearing or the inner sealed bearing. I'm getting my rims powdercoateda gloss black and I was wondering if would look weird if I did not powdercoat my hub. That way I would not have to remove these 2 bearingsand therefore, not need to replace them.I am also getting my rear pulley powdercoatedbecause it is scratched up (overloaded the warrior saddle bags and it pushed the top belt guard against the pulley and rubbed for a couple miles) 1.) Willthe rear pulley hide my hub so it will not benoticable that the hub is flat black and the rims are wet? Yes, I agree it would look better if it were gloss but I'm a cheapass. 2.) Do I still need to replace the needle bearings anyway simply because I removed the hub from the rim?I was hoping to not have to take thehub assembly apart.3.) And lastly, I could not find a good article on how to remove the front bearings. Any suggestions??I put the rear rim by the gas fireplace for a couple minutes and thebearings popped out like a charm. The front is suppose to be the easy one, I've had no such luck.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
you have no buisness owning a warrior if your a cheap a$$
, these bikes like to be modded and that takes lots of $$$$. you probably should have bought a honda or maybe a kawasaki instead
powder coat the hub, it'll look a lot better and in the end you'll be glad you went the extra mile

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hub is already black, the slight difference between gloss and matte would not be that noticable. Or my other option would be to powdercoat the rims matte black sothen it would match perfectly. My main question is DO I NEED TO REPLACE THE NEEDLE BEARINGS IN THE HUB IF I DO NOT REMOVE THEM FROM THEHUB??? help with removing the front bearings would also be helpful.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
WarriorKO5 said:
The hub is already black, the slight difference between gloss and matte would not be that noticable. Or my other option would be to powdercoat the rims matte black sothen it would match perfectly. My main question is DO I NEED TO REPLACE THE NEEDLE BEARINGS IN THE HUB IF I DO NOT REMOVE THEM FROM THEHUB??? help with removing the front bearings would also be helpful.

I don't think there would be a bad difference, you could always pull it back apart later if you don't like it. You could also consider painting the hub gloss black.

In my humble opinion, I wouldn't worry about un-removed bearings. I didn't replace mine, they've been fine the past couple years.

A local motorcycle shop can press the front bearings out/back in.

·
Administrator
30,093 Posts
Powder coaters like the bearings removed because of theprocess. I do not know if leaving the bearings installed would be a problem and as a laymanit would seem to depend on how well the powder coater is able to cover and protect the bearings. If a dusting of powder coating gets onto a bearing it'll be useless, and you might not notice it until you have it all re-assembled.

My wonderings at the end of a long day:

[*]
Haven't some guys removed and reinstalled these same bearings?
[*]
What's todays bearing prices how much are we talking about these days?[/list]

WarriorKO5 said:

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
WarriorKO5 said:
The hub is already black, the slight difference between gloss and matte would not be that noticable. Or my other option would be to powdercoat the rims matte black sothen it would match perfectly.

[*]The beautyface of the rear hub doesn't have that much exposure whether it's the 3 or 5 spoke wheel.

[*]IMO, leaving it OEM color will be fine. Be sure you align the pulley/wheel spokes for looks![/list][/list]

My main question is DO I NEED TO REPLACE THE NEEDLE BEARINGS IN THE HUB IF I DO NOT REMOVE THEM FROM THEHUB???

[*]ABSOLUTELY NOT .... the hubneedle brg is undisturbed, unless you attempted removal and damaged the brg which you haven't stated.[/list]

help with removing the front bearings would also be helpful.

[*]Using a heat gun or hair dryeraround the frt brg pocket will facilitate the removal of the frt brg's. Avoid directing hot air directly on the brg which you can protect with aluminum foil, shiny side opposite brg. You don't want to melt the grease in the sealed frt ball brg's.
[*]A blind puller is handy but the task can be done w/o. [/list]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts