RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying to track down backfires/popping from bike, I have several suggestions from here to try. I’ve redone the exhaust system with new gaskets and hardware which helped, ais Plate done back in 2015. Also Ivan’s flash and VBAK . When I did the coil swap at same time is it possible to mix any of the wires and still run ok maybe primary’s to wrong terminals ? Bike has a PC5 with a dyno tune from 2015 . Tuner guy said NOW GO RIDE THE xxxx out of it !
Question: Can I adjust CO1/CO2 via the PowerCommnder 5. Never done this before

·
Administrator
28,560 Posts
Reversed coils are not causing this. You would know it if they were.

What intakes do you have?

Have you 'read' your spark plugs to see if any over-rich or over-lean conditions exist? Do you smell raw fuel sometimes, or does the motor run unusually hot against your legs?

Before messing with the ECU to adjust CO1 CO2, I find its smart to first look at your power commander fuel map to be certain you have one map line that is below warm idle 850~950 rpm). How you do this depends on what map settings you are using, easiest answer is you need either a 500rpm or a 750rpm data line, which ever exists just under 1000. Just copy the data from 1000rpm into that slower data line. This gives settings for those times you decelerate hard or etc and sometimes cures backfire-out-the-exhaust or pop-up-thru-the-intakes.

If this lower rpm line already exists, and if (in addition to the things you posted you have already checked) you have checked the intake air's seal and also vacuum lines, then read-up on the ECU BUMP and test going one number lower (lean) on both CO1 and CO2 and write things down.

See the ECU BUMP instructions, found in the Documentation Forum, Fuel Managers section, to adjust CO1 CO2, which adjusts fuel from warm idle to about 1100~1300rpm. Write down your current settings. If you start to do this BUMP and you find indications it has been done before, then someone may have altered the numbers prior. If not, then the numbers you find are likely factory.

If the above is not showing improvement, then, since you have Ivan's flash, you might test the bump settings at zero-zero (0-0) if the minus-1 suggested does not yield results. But ECU BUMP cannot be a band-aid for motor repair needs. That will bite your butt every time. Only BUMP a tuned motor when the only trouble is backfiring-out-the-exhaust.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, you’re very helpful. When I was riding last summer I occasionally smelled gas like it was rich but never pulled plugs to check . Now with my busted leg getting a little better I thought I could at least tinker on bike and pursue this issue Especially since we’re all Quarantined . Also I have churchkey vbak intakes And dyna coils w/ msd wires , iridium plugs

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled plugs and they are black and little bit sooty looking

·
Administrator
28,560 Posts
Forgive me if I'm out of line, but before we go any further I like to be certain of something. You might slready do this. Dunno.

When you ride, do you keep the rpm's up? If you are uncertain then you probably do not. Don't baby this motor or it will give you trouble. Let it breathe. Get the motor hot. Its a Beast not a vespa! Just wait to shift until later in the rpm range, and ride open roads often.

Again, forgive me if I'm wrong, but want to put it out there before moving into that kind of repair troubleshooting.

·
Administrator
28,560 Posts
Excellent!

Do you know who mapped your PCV? Is it possible that fuel map is overly-rich in the rpm ranges you ride in?

Separate from that, have you done any reading here on the ECU BUMP? Do you know what underseat wires to look at to see if it might have been bumped before? There is a how-to pdf attached in the Documentation Forum, see the Fuel Managers section.

There is a way to release ecu plug pins and bump, but its harder so most cut and splice as shown in that pdf.

If the wire is cut and spliced we will assume it was bumped, you should write down the existing values and note 'maybe bumped before' or some such.

If the wire is not cut and spliced we assume it has not been bumped before, you should write that down, plus the CO1 CO2 starting values.

If you bought it new you would know if it was bumped.

You posted a bit of a fuel smell issue and inquired about CO1 CO2. So follow the ECU BUMP instructions to go 'lean' by two values (if its 5 make it 3)(if its -2 make it -4) etc. Write each value down with date done. Go for a ride and see what you think. Read the spark plugs.

The ECU BUMP affects the air:fuel ratio from warm idle (850~950rpm) up to about 1100~1300rpm. Only your fuel manager can manage above that. But remember your fuel manager affects from below warm idle all the way to redline. Low rpm gets double-duty. For now, just know that some members have set CO1 and CO2 to zero, then developed their fuel map. If you do this, be certain to note in your owner and service manuals that you did this and what the values were before you bumped the ECU.

Bottom line, if it were me, if not previouly bumped then I would leave it alone and focus on the PCV map tuning to solve it. But if previously bumped I would return to original factory values if known OR if not known I would set both to zero then focus on the PCV map tuning to solve it.

All this assumes the bike is running reasonably good other than spark plug crud and raw fuel smell.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never been bumped before. I bought the 06 bike from original owner bone stock in May 2014 with 3k miles on it , I did all the mods That first winter . I was part of the first group that did Ivan’s flash, had it dynotuned after all mods were done, so never tried bumping cylinders. I felt it was always kinda rich but I never went back for additional service. Bike was just a torque monster.
And all I have are Macs and iPhones , so unless I’m doing it wrong , i can’t download the PCV or load maps from website .
now trying to locate a win10 laptop

·
Administrator
28,560 Posts
Ok good to know. If dynotuned by a power commander approved shop then it should be good. Unless it corrupted.

Did you keep an original copy of the dyno tuner's map? If yes, then get and save the existing map and rename it with date code like mymap date or what ever. Then send the original copy to the unit and fire it up to see what happens.

If its still a bit rich then consider adjusting the map a step lean in the lower third of the rpm range and go ride. If unhappy then undo the lower third back to prior numbers and repeat the go-lean adjustment on the middle third, repeat etc for upper third if needed. For this test, always return the prior changes to original numbers before playing with the next third. Test ride in all rpm ranges and get some speed.

I suggest this because the biggest culprit here appears to be fuel mapping. Lets see. If not, then more hand-to-hand combat begins on the motor lol.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Just my 2 cents- Ivan's sent a couple of maps out with the flash, and when I compared it to what I had on my PCV, it was lean, big time. I am sure they can resend it if you do not have it on file. I have the same setup, and no pop or sneezing. Ivans map, 2-1, (roadhouse exhaust). I ran the 2-2 with the Samsons I had on at first, same deal. Maybe the dyno guys were feeding it too much fuel? Try the ivans map and see, it is easy to switch, and you should notice quickly. Just an idea!

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay , I bought a 100$ laptop from offer up last night, should work for pc5 files. I started putting bike back together yesterday after I pulled a few things to make sure it was all still in good shape, mostly just connections. I hope to be back at it today

Attachments

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I’ve done nothing in the last week. Wife has me in a honydo list and today is cold and wet , I have no desire to work in garage today

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay , I bought a 100$ laptop from offer up last night, should work for pc5 files. I started putting bike back together yesterday after I pulled a few things to make sure it was all still in good shape, mostly just connections. I hope to be back at it today
Well you get what you pay for, my 100$ laptop was a POS ! I called the guy and he said “Oh yeah, that was a broke ass machine, Sucker born every minute “ Click .
Actually got one that works now, honydew list is now a short list , busted leg is Much better , just waiting to get back to my bike . Bought new tabs and insurance last month . I have way too much to do to go riding , or so I’m told, I’d sneak out but y’all know what these things sound like ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts