RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Unfortunatley paint does not stick well to chrome. The pipes would first have to be dechromed if you want the paint to stick. If you get them powdercoated they would have to use a special high temperature powdercoat and would first have to sandblast them before powdercoating. You could send them to be ceramic coated but probably your cheapest and easiest alternative would be to wrap them. You can wrap them with an ebony wrap and treat the wrap from time to time with the special black silicone wrap spray. You can even leave a bit of the tips protruding to give a nice contrast. here is a picture of my LAF groundpounders on my chopper to give you an idea of what I mean

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Christo is correct. Prep is like 80% of getting the process correct. Chrome will not let other stuff adhere so you will either have to really roughen up the chrome to get any sort of primer & paint to stick. If you powder or ceramic coat it them it would have to be sandblasted or chemically stripped.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I blacked out my pro pipe with Rustoleum BBQ high temp paint...
I scuffed up the chrome and wipe down with some paint tinner and painted them. Light coats like 5-6 and the paint has held up..
Member GDwarrior has a video

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I had a chrome set that I sanded all the chrome off of and painted with vht exhaust paint. lasted as long as I had the bike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
sorry for the late reply but anyway hope this helps as I am a painter by trade. Powder coating over chrome will fish eye and not adhere well even if sanded. Powder coating is not impervious to petroleum distillates. That means if gas or oil gets on the powder coat it will bubble up.

Best thing to murder a bike with is the rattle can VHT sold at Autozone. Wet sand your chrome with like 250 to 400 grit wet sand paper. Get it at harbor freight cheapest price. When you wet sand use dawn soap as it really cuts grease and oils. Before you shoot wipe the pipes down with acetone and a lint free cloth. Use the high heat flat black by VHT. It is a dead flat and will give you a pro finish for pennies on the dollar and it will hold up to gasoline and oil. Better than powder coat. Good luck and dont forget to mask out your bike as the over spray will F up yur paint !! Yeah

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
sorry for the late reply but anyway hope this helps as I am a painter by trade. Powder coating over chrome will fish eye and not adhere well even if sanded. Powder coating is not impervious to petroleum distillates. That means if gas or oil gets on the powder coat it will bubble up.

Best thing to murder a bike with is the rattle can VHT sold at Autozone. Wet sand your chrome with like 250 to 400 grit wet sand paper. Get it at harbor freight cheapest price. When you wet sand use dawn soap as it really cuts grease and oils. Before you shoot wipe the pipes down with acetone and a lint free cloth. Use the high heat flat black by VHT. It is a dead flat and will give you a pro finish for pennies on the dollar and it will hold up to gasoline and oil. Better than powder coat. Good luck and dont forget to mask out your bike as the over spray will F up yur paint !! Yeah

Thanks for posting this. I have a set of Speedstar pipes that are all scratched up (the muffler fell off while riding) and I want to black them out.

I have access to a blasting cabinet. Do you think I'd get better results with sandblasting (garnet) or should I just sand them?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Doing something very similar but no chrome.
Scuffed up, washed up and painted up with Rustoleum Ultra High Temp.

Tried it first on my wife’s thumper and it’s holding up. This is a low gloss black. They also make it in flat.
Nice thing about this paint is over time when the finish gets chipped with rocks and such, just light sand if needed, wash and dry, mask off and paint... As good as new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts