RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Carknee -
I know we went to the new Classifieds a while ago because we had posts that were never removed after items were sold, but I am finding that the current setup doesn't really yield any satisfactory results. Most people I talk with don't even check the classified section on a regular basis and have no idea what items are for sale.

It falss into that "out of sight, out of mind" category.

Could we go back to having a Classified / For Sale Forum, but put restrictions on it that will make it more server friendly? Set time limits of 15 or 30 days for the post and have the post deleted at the end of the time frame - or have the seller relist. We scroll the posts when we SEE them, and not seeing the classifieds means most people don't even look at them.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Agreed, I miss the old system and being able to see new items posted each and every time I checked active forums. You have go out of your way to check the classifieds here as compared to other boards I'm subscribed to, instead of just being able to see anything new that has been posted just by subscribing to a forum.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I'd be more apt to look at what's for sale if the threads were opened also..

Right now, I look at the classifieds maybe twice a month or so.. becuase I do forget they 'up there'.. LOL...

If the thread style were revisited, you could set a sticky noting that the threads were NOT for discussion. Anyone wanting to talk about the item shoudl PM the poster.
We do it this way on another forum I'm on and it works really well. I'm sure it'll take some getting used to here.. ie, not hitting 'reply' rather, using 'PM' instead, but I think this would be the way to go...

I'll even volunteer to mod that forum only if need be... Just an idea (from someone who couldn't pass a third grade test until the 4th time...)

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
The classifieds are going to remain a separate section of the site. If people have a need to purchase an item, then they can look in the classifieds. If you are looking for a motorcycle for sale in a newspaper do you look in the editorials or the classifieds?

quote:If we are diciplined about it, we can control it - deleting the item once it's sold. We tried that and while some people did do it, most did not.

In the near future, certain items for sale will span multiple sites. That will give an item more exposure.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The issue isn't the exposure - the issue is that it's an extra step or two to actually get to the items. And there is nothing that shows when it's updated with new items. When we had it as a forum you got to view the section as a whole and were able to see immediately when new items were put in. The 'exposure' was in the fact that it showed up on every members screen when a new item was posted.

Is there a reason why it's in a separate section? I don't remember the reasons given when it was pulled out - but what is the real reason why it's pulled out?

Really, this serves more of a purpose for Warrior owners than the Anything Goes forum.

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
I agree also the other format was used and this one is not. It was pulled because people were not deleting there posts. People are still doing the same thing. As least before they faded out of view, now they just stay there. I volunteered to stay on top of people and that forum but was over looked. I figure whatever is easier on Carknee is the best but a whole separate forum/page seems like it would be more work but I know nothing about websites.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
i dont mind it, just maybe have it so the ads run out in 2-3 weeks (no choice to change it) (not 30/60/90), so if the item did sell and the user forgot to remove it, it will automatically be removed, and if it still didnt sell, have it send a reminder email that the ad is expiring and 2 renew it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't catch the issue with having a forum for this. The idea is to use the section and see the for sale items. That works better in the forum versus the classifieds - when you are selling something, it's about getting the ad in front of people.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
When you are selling something, it is about having people who want to buy it see it. If someone wants to buy something they check the classifieds section; then they see it.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
This can be discussed until we are all blue in the face. It is not going to change in the foreseeable future.

Sorry.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
Fact is, this is a forum first. The Classifieds section is a just an added free bonus for members to use. Currently the Classifieds section runs itself and needs no intervention. When I'm in the market to buy something, it's the first thing I click on. Carknee has put a lot of time into coding something that is more automatic than the last version. There aren't to many places on the net that you can sell you stuff for free.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
personally, i like the new classified section. maybe a solution might be to display the number of new items in classified based on the cookie, located somewhere on the forum or active topic pages?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok Carknee, so I guess none of us have ever bought something that wasn't planned...or saw something and said, "yea, that might be cool - I hadn't thought of that".

Your forum, your rules.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts