RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering, since I've kind of overspent lately, if the rear drive pulley can be stripped of the paint and buffed out. Is it steel or cast ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,553 Posts
If I need a new rear skin at the end of this year I will be polishing a couple of items, this pulley being one of them. **** I will probably do it wether I need a new tire or not. I will start with just the inner and outer faces of the rim and stop there. Polishing the spokes looks like way too much work for this DIY'er.

Don't worry, I wont get started on this 3-spoke thing again!

Oh ya, almost forgot, this pulley is cast aluminum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
When you take it off, you'll notice an inner plate attached to the inside edge of the pulley. The inner plate is steel. The rest of the pulley is aluminum and can be polished. I polished both and clear-coated the steel plate after stripping/polishing.

Polishing or chroming the pulley makes a BIG difference in appearance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
I've polished just the outter rim of my rear pully. Used a Dremmel and alot of Wet n' Dry and IMO looks good. I must say serrata that I love the 3 spoke look but it's beyond my engineering skills, looks cool though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
yes like they said it can be done but cast is way harder to polish, i polish bikes on the side almost everyday but mostly sportbikes but by now i hate polishing anything thats why my war is blacked out, more and more.... but polished and crome always looks good too.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,496 Posts
The polishing topic has been adressed over a hundred times. Try a search. Moving this to FAQ...
As an FYI, Yamahas and most other maunfacturers factory aluminum parts have a fair amount of slag in them making them look a little hazy. Although they can be made to look real good this dosen't last very long without a fair amount of maintenence. This is from personal experience and observation of many Warrior's I've seen with polished parts. Polishing the rim of the pulley is probably the easier thing to do and maintain if you're gonna do it at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
Well, its time for a new back tire and i figured since i had the tire off, I would go ahead and put a chrome rear pulley on. Ive looked at a few places but with no luck, I talked with reza at cycleimage, no pork, and cali custom cruisers. No 2003 in stock. I was trying to avoid the down time and was wanting to send in a core charge. Any ideas where i might find one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
quote:Originally posted by vector18

Yup, it can be polished,cut,chromed,or powder coated. Whatever you want!





Thanks vec, Any ideas where i might find one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,244 Posts
Like JPWarrior said -- the alloy Yamaha uses is not the best quality when it comes to polishing. I spent about 24 hours polishing my rear pulley, chrome would have been a lot easier. It depends on the look your after. IMHO chrome is more cruiser oriented, paint, polish & powder coat are more performance oriented. Just depends on what finish you have in mind for your wheels.

I get the best finish on Yamaha parts by using the dark grey compound intended for steel. Use of the brown or white compound clouds the finish.

Use Semichrome or Mothers mag & aluminum polish a few times a year to restore
the original shine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Churchkey

Like JPWarrior said -- the alloy Yamaha uses is not the best quality when it comes to polishing. I spent about 24 hours polishing my rear pulley, chrome would have been a lot easier. It depends on the look your after. IMHO chrome is more cruiser oriented, paint, polish & powder coat are more performance oriented. Just depends on what finish you have in mind for your wheels.

I get the best finish on Yamaha parts by using the dark grey compound intended for steel. Use of the brown or white compound clouds the finish.

Use Semichrome or Mothers mag & aluminum polish a few times a year to restore
the original shine.



Yeah, im tired of polishing. That mothers is some good stuff. I wanted to go with the chrome. Hopefully someone will have some good info where i can purchase one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
quote:Originally posted by eassyrider
Yeah, im tired of polishing. That mothers is some good stuff. I wanted to go with the chrome. Hopefully someone will have some good info where i can purchase one.


You can do the chrome exchange thing that Cycle Image offers to get yourself a chrome pulley.
http://www.cycleimage.com/store/product.asp?PID=3971
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
quote:Originally posted by BrazeauRacing

quote:Originally posted by eassyrider
Yeah, im tired of polishing. That mothers is some good stuff. I wanted to go with the chrome. Hopefully someone will have some good info where i can purchase one.


You can do the chrome exchange thing that Cycle Image offers to get yourself a chrome pulley.
http://www.cycleimage.com/store/product.asp?PID=3971


Yeah, I checked, they dont have any o3 in stock. I know i could probally get it back in a week but like i said in the earlier post i didnt want any down time. Any more ideas?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,412 Posts
Won't any year fit it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,319 Posts
quote:Originally posted by The_Cadfather

Won't any year fit it?


I thought so until i actually needed one but all the places ive checked said i need an 03. Cad, we are coming up to chat town for the weekend. Give me a holler and we will go get a bite to eat or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,319 Posts
It'll be hard to do anything with the pulley without any downtime unless you buy a stock one and send yours out to be modified.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top