RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since the first Saturday is New Year's Day, I'm pushing this monthly ride back a week.

There's been interest in a broader ride that LA and San Diego riders can join in on so what better way to kick off the new year than a joint ride that everyone can participate in!

Here's a map of the general area I'm guessing riders will be coming from. I know there's a guy in Santa Barbara area and a couple in San Diego with a bunch of us everywhere in between. Originally, I was thinking Orange County for the ride, but maybe a little further inland could be fun. I've never ridden out in the Palm Desert or around the Salton Sea but I've done a bunch of riding in the Cleveland National Forest (Julian pies anyone?). I'm wide open for suggestions but let's try to keep it somewhat central. For reference, I'm coming from the Burbank area just north of LA.

Who's in and where we going?

Map World Atlas

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. I've heard it's beautiful and unique and stuff. It's definitely going to be a long day... and potentially a cold one. Hoping it doesn't rain, too. Definitely calling it off if it does.

Also, @Desertboy13, have you heard of the app that lets you rent people's bikes? A buddy recently did that and had a pretty nice HD for a day. Just a thought in case you don't have a ride by then.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about this absurdity? Start in Temecula, go clockwise, lunch in Mecca or Salton City, dessert in Julian. I'll be adding about 175 more miles that day just getting there and back.

Ecoregion Map World Atlas Parallel

·
Premium Member
4,815 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Nice idea! I would like to meet up somewhere, 74 to palm desert is great, make sure to take S-22 (montezuma grade) to get to santa ys-abel/julian. The other way, up banner grade is good too, but the big sweepers on S-22 are better. There is a cool biker bar at the north end of mesa grande (also an epic twistie) used to be "the hideout" off 76 , 79. FYI, Salton sea and Mecca are kind of funky, not epic destinations. Same witb slab city. Just my 2 cents. The I 10 to 243-idlewild would be an alternate for the North crowd. I am in SD and roll these roads pretty regularly. 79 south links up witb santa ysabel- julian. Let me know where I can try and meet up!

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slab City (Niland) - 2021 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - Tripadvisor

I was looking this up, Its highly recommended on "Trip Advisor" Stop in at the "Library" down a frosty, Catch a Concert at the "Range" Slab City is Billed as the "Last Free Place"😁 I keed, I keed ! Look it up on YouTube and "Slab City Chatter" on FB is pretty crazy.

Count me in for at least Starting out.

G
I finally got around to doing some research on Slab City. I don’t think I’ll be taking my motorcycle through there unless I’m packing heat and ready to use it. Looks interesting, though.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice idea! I would like to meet up somewhere, 74 to palm desert is great, make sure to take S-22 (montezuma grade) to get to santa ys-abel/julian. The other way, up banner grade is good too, but the big sweepers on S-22 are better. There is a cool biker bar at the north end of mesa grande (also an epic twistie) used to be "the hideout" off 76 , 79. FYI, Salton sea and Mecca are kind of funky, not epic destinations. Same witb slab city. Just my 2 cents. The I 10 to 243-idlewild would be an alternate for the North crowd. I am in SD and roll these roads pretty regularly. 79 south links up witb santa ysabel- julian. Let me know where I can try and meet up!
Excellent info! I’ll see about incorporating it into my map and agenda.

For now, I’m looking at having most everyone join in Temecula if they’re in for the full ride or at various places along the route depending on how long they can participate. No pressure at all

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, guys! Unfortunately, I’ll be unable to attend a ride this coming weekend. I’m currently in the hospital awaiting gall bladder surgery. I’m happy to still support you guys if you still want to ride by coordinating routes and times. It’ll help me pass the time recovering.

Post up if you still want to meetup and where you’re coming from and if there are any rides you’d like to try to make.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, guys. I’m already home and back to normal (other than no lifting or work for a bit). Looking forward to getting back in the saddle and putting on some miles. Guess that’ll be next month, though.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That’s terrible news, Hefty.

My family had it over Christmas 2020. There were a couple days where all I could do was sit and focus on breathing. I never went to the hospital but a few times, I was on the edge of having to.

I hope it is minor and everyone recovers quickly. Stay safe, brother!

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just updated the title to indicate this ride isn’t happening.

In other news, though, there’s a potential ride in the Facebook messenger group. Hope everyone that’s interested in attending is able to.

·
Registered
2002 Warrior
124 Posts
Random, glad to hear you are on the mend and Hefty, I hope all is well with you and your fam. It’s probably just a matter of time before everybody catches it and hopefully you just get a minor case. Crazy times were all living in these days but it’s always great to pop back into this group, pick up some knowledge, have some laughs and feel the camaraderie. Keep on keepin on brothers! Skol!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.