RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tried adjusting my cluth cable to its fullest extent and i cant get the klunk noise (its makes a bunch of klunking noises as it trys to go in too)when i shift from neutral to first. if i hold the clutch in and shift to first it will make that noise and if i keep hold it and go to neutral then back it first, it goes in smooth. when i pull my clutch in it touches all the way to my handlebars tho.

·
Administrator
30,097 Posts
Its sorta hard to do the first time but then its easy after that.Theservice manual has a nifty procedure. There is a link in popular mods for the free e-copy of the 2002 service manual which is good enough for most tasks.

Or try this and see if it helps. Make sure the clutch plates are loosened-up by doing this shortly after a ride, let it cooldown some. While its cooling off, pull the clutch lever all the way ina few times and watch the little lever on theclutch housing move full range. That will tell you what direction the lever is facing when your hand is off the clutch. In that place the clutch plates need to be at least 'just seated' all the way. When you pull on the handlebar lever and the gearbox lever moves, it needs to move far enough to release all theclutch plates inside, and going any further than that is a waste of cable adjustment space. You'll see what I mean when you screw with it a few minutes.

A couple things to keep in mind. The Warrior, stock anyway, has a couple inner friction discs 'wired together' for fast starts, its an old racers trick and the factory included it stock, cool huh? Anyway that's one reason the bike is a little harder to roll aound in gear with the clutch pulled in. The other thing is the gears are constant mesh so there might be a little clunk when you go from neutral into a gear no matter what. But good cable adjustment will minimize it.

From an earlier post (I'm lazy tonight): http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/26419/382154.aspx#382154

I like to completely loosen a cable then tighten the end at the handlebar lever half-way into its threads (then run the thumbwheel down on the nut by hand). Then I like to tighten the mid-cable while watching the lever on the gearbox where the cable is attached (called the PUSH LEVER ASSY) rotate forward when tension comes on. I tighten the mid-cable until the cable goes tight and pulls on the Push Lever Assy. I keep tightening all the way to make sure the Push Lever Assy pivots forward nearly all the way. Sometimes I'll tighten the handlebar cable nut another turn or two if needed to pivot the Push Lever Assy far enough to release all the clutch plates (at which time the bike should obviously roll in gear).

When I'm sure the cable is adjusted tight enough to pull the Push Lever all the way, then I loosen the mid-cable adjusting nut while watching the Push Lever un-pivot as the clutch cable relaxes. When the Push Lever Assy stops moving the clutch is fully released.

Then I tighten-loosen-tighten the mid-cable to be sure where it stops moving then I relax another thread or two until there's a nickle-thick gap at the handlebar lever. At that point the clutch is fully engaged and the cable is un-loaded. I spray a short-shot of WD40 on the two cable pivot ends.

Now pulling in the handlebar clutch lever should pull the cable far enough to pivot the Push Lever Assy almost all the way. When its most accurately adjusted, you can pull the handlebar clutch lever in with the bike in gear, and roll it around with just a little friction resistance - but when you release the handlebar lever a little you should start to feel the clutch resistance.

If the nut-and-thumbwheel can be locked (tightened) against each other, and the clutch adjustment works like this, then the cable is installed properly. If not, then check the tube end at the bars, the thumb-wheel against the nut (which stiffens the cable from wiggling), and the handlebar lever's cable end.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I get a clunk sound when I shift into 1st. No clunk sounds in any other gear.

I thought the fist gear clunk was normal? Every bike I have had went clunk from neutral to 1st.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Cold klunk or hot? Cold I don't worry too much about.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Loren said:
Cold klunk or hot? Cold I don't worry too much about.

Mine is more so when it's cold. After it warms up there is a tiny clunk sound then. I don't know about Bad_info.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya after reading the clunk into gear is normal, but im more concernd about as i am pushing it into gear it makes bunch of clunking noise from it hitting plates ( i havent went all the way to first gear yet)or something like its not going all the way out of gear. but after i go into first and back to neutral and still holding the clutch then back to first it goes in smooth

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bad_Info said:
ya after reading the clunk into gear is normal, but im more concernd about as i am pushing it into gear it makes bunch of clunking noise from it hitting plates ( i havent went all the way to first gear yet)or something like its not going all the way out of gear. but after i go into first and back to neutral and still holding the clutch then back to first it goes in smooth

If you push down firmly on the shift lever you should just hear one clunk. If you push down softly you will hear what you're describing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
StangWarrior said:
If you push down firmly on the shift lever you should just hear one clunk. If you push down softly you will hear what you're describing.

Ya exactly. im guessing all that is normal when pushing softly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts