RS Warrior Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just got an email from an user who tries to register to forums.

Plain old 'Matthew'.

Floren wrote:
> What is your username on forums?

Thanks. I tried Firefox and Chrome.
I got my user name registered OK (I think), but I get nothing back from the forum regarding initial login password.
I'll give IE a shot.

Floren wrote:
> Try using Internet Explorer 7, is the only browser that works. I will
> post a message on the board to let CarKnee know about the issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> Floren
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -- On 19 Aug 2010 6:41 p.m., Matthew @ Axivo Forums
> Matthew wrote:
>
> The following message was sent to you via the Axivo Forums Contact Us
> form by Matthew.
>
> --------------------------------
>
> Teck,
>
> I have been trying to join the Warrior forum for days, and I get
> nothing. Do you have a contact for Sean Kearny or other admin over
> there? If not, could you forward this to Sean through the forum? I'd
> like to be a member, but it seems I'm not wanted.
>
> Thanks
>
> Matthew

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
siradude said:
lagalaxy8 said:
Well I see that firefox is why i can't log in at home. I had to use firefox so i could use this site on a mac, safari blew. i'll look into google and see if it works well with mac.

I believe from my past experience, is that your safari had problems loggin into this site because it has COOKIES DISABLED from its original state.

You must ENABLE cookies on safari and you shuld be fine after this.

Later versions of SAFARI might already have cookies enabled from its default state but im speculating at this point.

No my problem before was being able to post links, upload, and general problemsetc. It's a safari thing, was having the same problems on other sites also.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Trust me, is not a Safari thing. The rich text editor you should see here (and into other sites) is deprecated.

Safari, Chrome and all the rest of Webkit browsers use proper/modern technology. Is the developers who create web applications that don't bother to keep up with the updates.

Go to any vBulletin powered site and you will see that your Safari browser works perfectly.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sangathor said:
I've emailed Carknee and asked him to take a look at this thread. The site hasn't been generating subscription emailslately so maybe it's not sending password emails either.
I was not able to subscribe to notifications, since I became a member here. The fact that CarKnee does not answer to this thread does not make it look good. I send him an email with the link, he got it for sure because the email notification works. I get email or PM notifications from the site.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
I will add tothis pot.

I have not been able to use the "Edit Profile" button on top for a long time now in any browser (IR, Firefox or Chrome) I have them all due to my needs to test my websites for clients, but I mainly only use IE.

Also if I Hit the "Favorites" button on a POST to add it to my favorites using any browser I just get a blinking "Favorite Button" and it dont work!

I assume these problems are related and probably limited to my account and a few others only.

This POst was made in IE.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
I just tried to log in with FireFox and got the usual problem most are having with not being able to log in.

I just cleared the cookies and problem solved, but for those that might not know how to clear you cookies in FireFox I will do a step by step.

1. Click Tools on top menu
2. Select Options
3. Select the top "Privacy" Tab
4. Click on the "Show Cookies"button
5. Select "Remove all Cookies"

This should resolve your login issues if you already had an account.

In FireFox this web is looking fine to me, all post editing tools are showing and working.

This post was made with FireFox and I was able to subscribe to the RSS of this topic using OUTLOOK as my reader just fine.

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
TECK said:
I was not able to subscribe to notifications, since I became a member here. The fact that CarKnee does not answer to this thread does not make it look good. I send him an email with the link, he got it for sure because the email notification works. I get email or PM notifications from the site.
He's probably busy with his real job, the one that pays his bills. His email, the one that you have, gets flooded with constant emails and PM'ing him is just as pointless. I let him know and when he has a chance he will respond. Personally, I've been able to get subscriptions since they were activated up until recently, I also post from various versions of IE and Mozilla and Firefox with zero problems. Will he buy expensive new software upgrades, or endure the constant b!tching from changing to a new product like before just because you and your shiny google browser are having problems...I don't know (I know what my answer would be).

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
A lot of stuff here.. I will answer some.

Upgrade Community Server
No shot. It would cost $30,000+ for me to upgrade to the latest version. On top of that, 80% of the users here wouldn't appreciate the new features. If someone has an in with powers that be at Telligent then please let me know, otherwise this isn't happening.

Move away from Community Server
I'd love to. So why don't I? I have a 4GB database with A LOT of custom code making this site 'work.' In order for me to migrate this site it would take me at least 160 development hours. If you've noticed I have little time already.

For some reason, unkwon to me, a lot of people (myself included) weren't able to log in with the browser they are normally logged in with. There was no error, just nothing happened. If you clear your cookies out for the rswarrior.com domain then you should be able to log in again.

Subscription Emails
The mail server I have been sending mail through decided to block access from my server. I am working with the host to get this restored.

Web Browsers
The war wages on. If your browser doesn't work with rswarrior.com then you will need to do one of two things.
1. Use a different browser (IE or Firefox work fine)
2. Edit your profile and on the "site options" tab set your Content Editor to Plain text

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
CarKnee said:
A lot of stuff here.. I will answer some.

Upgrade Community Server
No shot. It would cost $30,000+ for me to upgrade to the latest version. On top of that, 80% of the users here wouldn't appreciate the new features. If someone has an in with powers that be at Telligent then please let me know, otherwise this isn't happening.

Move away from Community Server
I'd love to. So why don't I? I have a 4GB database with A LOT of custom code making this site 'work.' In order for me to migrate this site it would take me at least 160 development hours. If you've noticed I have little time already.

For some reason, unkwon to me, a lot of people (myself included) weren't able to log in with the browser they are normally logged in with. There was no error, just nothing happened. If you clear your cookies out for the rswarrior.com domain then you should be able to log in again.

Subscription Emails
The mail server I have been sending mail through decided to block access from my server. I am working with the host to get this restored.

Web Browsers
The war wages on. If your browser doesn't work with rswarrior.com then you will need to do one of two things.
1. Use a different browser (IE or Firefox work fine)
2. Edit your profile and on the "site options" tab set your Content Editor to Plain text
Does that mean soon your site will not work at all? Because with the current way technology advances, that is what is going to happen. I'm a developer also and I know exactly in what situation you are. Switching to another forum software like IPB or vBulletin would cost you $200 and both companies offer you a conversion service, free or for a $60 cost. That is nothing compared to your 160 hours x 50$/hour ($8000!!!) that you plan to invest. Why don't you let someone else do the work for you? You cannot rely on old technology, soon your site will be truly unsurfable and people will leave for good. And suggesting to use IE or a plain text instead of a basic/standard editor is really extreme, don't you think?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
TECK said:
Does that mean soon your site will not work at all? Because with the current way technology advances, that is what is going to happen. I'm a developer also and I know exactly in what situation you are. Switching to another forum software like IPB or vBulletin would cost you $200 and both companies offer you a conversion service, free or for a $60 cost. That is nothing compared to your 160 hours x 50$/hour ($8000!!!) that you plan to invest. Why don't you let someone else do the work for you? You cannot rely on old technology, soon your site will be truly unsurfable and people will leave for good. And suggesting to use IE or a plain text instead of a basic/standard editor is really extreme, don't you think?

Teck, using IE is not extreme.

And Carknee is so right about moving to the latest version, the majority of users here will miss the old way. Many people including me still miss the old site. Whenever this site isgoing to upgraded, can you givea beta preview of a couple of weeks and allow for some feedback from the site.

Thanks for starting this site, keeping it up and running, malwarefree and bomb proof forthe past couple of years.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Mr Noize II said:
Teck, using IE is not extreme.
Half of the Internet world does not touch IE. Mac and Linux users for example. I don't understand what users will miss, beside having a site that will function well. Nothing will change in looks and functionality. Well, actually certain things will change, for example how the pictures gallery will be displayed (it will be better and easier to manage).

With the current state of technology, within one year, this site will completely stall. Is that what you want? I would like to see CarKnee saying the contrary... because he knows how right I am. Yes, we do like our old way but you are still forced to eat hormone filled meat with canned vegetables while your wife is at work, instead of having a natural home cooked meal with vegetables from your garden and your wife handing you the newspaper, like our parents had it. Some things must change, you cannot live in the past forever. Personally, I already started to backup important information related to Warrior that is not found nowhere else.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
TECK said:
Half of the Internet world does not touch IE. Mac and Linux users for example.

That's not half! That's way less than 10%

IE is not going away ever, and running more sites even old ones and newer one with less issues is a perfect example of why!

If you are a developer then you should know that websites made are FIRST tested to be compatible with IE, the most used browser in the world. If you make a site and it does not run stable in IE then you are really wasting your time.When I develop a site I first make sure everything works in IE then move to Firefox then Safari then Chrome, as I think this is the order of usage as of now.

Now, IFCHROME came out and it has its bugs and issues with technology that was established before itself, then that is really a Chrome problem not a site problem.

I've seen many browsers come and go, and have heard all the hoopla, but I still think IE is the strongest around and it will stay up there for a very long time. Attackers will blast at it all they can, trying to make it unstable, but you know the rest of the browsers are just as vulnerable the attackers just have it in for MS. MS just patches it and if you follow a good sense of browsing you should be just fine.

Name a massive website that runs in Chrome but has issued with IE? I could probably find a few the other way around!

I'm willing to bet that if this forum makes NO changes in the next 5 years, it will still run well in the latest version of IE, and CHROME might not be around anymore..

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Also IE9 is coming out in BETA sept 15, just to show how MS is keeping up with the Browser improvements and it's not as stale as some make it to be,.

[url="http://www.neowin.net/news/internet-explorer-9-beta-due-on-september-15 said:
http://www.neowin.net/news/internet-explorer-9-beta-due-on-september-15[/url]"]

Microsoft is also planningbroader support forHTML5in Internet Explorer 9 through its new script engine. Microsoft recentlyperformedW3CWeb Standards tests onIE9, includingHTML5,SVG1.1 2nd edition,CSS3media queries,CSS3borders & backgrounds,CSS3selectors,DOMlevel 3 core,DOMlevel 3 events andDOMlevel 2 style. Microsoft, with the help ofW3C, performed a total of 192 tests on a variety of browsers. Internet Explorer 9 scored 100% in all eight tests, while every other browser, except Firefox inDOMlevel 2 style tests, didn't score perfect in any of the test categories.

This is a rumored leaked beta pic off a Russian MS site.

·
Registered
61 Posts
may I make a humble request for other users unable to log in? Could a message be placed on the front page of the site saying users should clear all rswarrior cookies if unable to log in? This had me baffled for a day or so until I found this thread... might help others having the same problem, seems to be a common issue.

-B

PS - IE will never go away, there are too many "novice" computer users who are not comfortable installing/learning a different browser...

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Odd...

I think Microsoft is getting hit by a DoS (Denial of Service) Attack at the moment, I cant access any of their sites.

Last time they targeted a main router flooding it for over an hour...

Edit:

Back up again... lasted for about 1 hour, maybe maintenance?

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Let me start with saying that I WISH I COULD upgrade this site. I love the latest and greatest as much as the next developer. However, since you are throwing some strong statements out there...

Does it mean my site won't work at all?
I think it will work, but I can agree it that it will become dated. That being said, the majority of users liked Snitz better than CS when I switched so I don't think being dated is a problem for most.

With the current state of technology, within one year, this site will completely stall. Is that what you want?
If you weren't aware, the Warrior is now a discontinued model. Did I want Yamaha to kill the Warrior off? The obvious answer is no! The site/community is now forced to be on a decline by no decision of mine.

Conversion
I can promise you that the conversion of 4GB of forum posts and 7 GB of images will cost me A LOT more than $200 in licensing and $60 for a conversion! vBulletin isn't even an option; it doesn't have what we need. IPS looks promising, but it is almost 3x more than $200 for what we need. I will humor this though... say we get the data migrated into IPS. Great. We have a bare bones installation; all the customizations around vendors, supporters, etc... that I have put into this site now has to be rewritten (again), but this time in PHP. I am not a PHP developer; I don't even have PHP installed on this server.

And you need to give me more credit... my going rate is upwards of $100/hour (My mechanic charges $92.75/hour and I figure I need to be more than him
)

Must use IE?

Never said that. I use Firefox just fine with this site; I never said you have to use IE.I wave the "DIE IE6" flag as much as the next web developer, but this site works fine with IE6/7/8 and Firefox.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.