RS Warrior Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarKnee, please make the forums usable!

6K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  carknee 
#1 ·
Hi CarKnee,

I've been visiting your forums for a long time and I see that you never updated the forum software.
I use Google Chrome and the new version simply makes your forums unusable, because the extremly old software you use now.

There are many updates released for Community Forums, I know they are expensive. Why don't you switch to vBulletin? I can donate a license to you, I have 2 that I don't use. Now, I cannot even login... forget about regular browser usability like rich editor or thread subscriptions.

Regards,

Floren

#5 ·
I have not been able to get on the forum for several months. I tried to do a password recovery several times and it will not send me an email. I was tundra556. I gave up and made a new account. I cannot navigate the site very well,must not be compatible with my mobile service like other forums.

#6 ·
TECK said:
Honestly, IE and Firefox eat memory like an elephant. Not to mention that Chrome is lighter and 100times faster...
Is likecomparingthe Warrior with... a scooter.
Chrome and IE take the password login fine...Firefox seems to be the application at fault at my end. When I enter my info and try to log in, I can't.

I like your comparison too, Teck!!

#7 ·
Only chrome I have is on the bike..I used to run opera mini, that doesn't work very well at all anymore because they have issues with the BB Bold..I can login and navigate but its a PITA.. I still haven't got an email from here going on week two..I don't know, I'm just a dumb truck driver...its a shame technology can't keep up with me..I would like to know if its just me or if the mods and admin are having the same problem and if they are, has it been addressed..if its not going to be addressed I will never be able to keep up with threads without email updates, and like I said in the other thread, I don't know what this BB is gonna do when they all decide to dump at once?? If I get into the threads I replied to and disable the email updates will I still get the thread updates to that point? Or will it cancel them all? If its a matter of money for upgrades then speak up, I would be more than happy to help. I could read updates via email, now I have to navigate thru the site to see if anyone has replied to my posts..I can't login with the BB web browser, so I have to use an old version of opera which in general is junk..any easier way to navigate mobile?

#8 ·
SuicideD_45 said:
Chrome and IE take the password login fine...Firefox seems to be the application at fault at my end. When I enter my info and try to log in, I can't.

You are not using the new Chrome Beta (6.0.x is really aswesome).

#10 ·
If I download Chrome Beta do I have to get rid of Firefox,and IE.I use IE sometimes because Firefox seems to crash on me every now and again.And my video's start and stop all the time.Just didn't want to have to much stuff on my computer and slow it down more than it is now,and I want to still be able to get on the site.

#11 ·
Its not just Chrome 6.0. Even Google Chrome 5.0xx did not play well with the post editing software here. I've been keeping two icons on my desktop for a long time now: one IE8 and one for Google Chrome that I use for everything I can. It is lighter/faster. +1 I had to go away from Firefox since many various websites I visit seem to become limited in unexpected ways.

TECK said:
SuicideD_45 said:

You are not using the new Chrome Beta (6.0.x is really aswesome).

#12 ·
Gilly said:
If I download Chrome Beta do I have to get rid of Firefox,and IE.I use IE sometimes because Firefox seems to crash on me every now and again.And my video's start and stop all the time.Just didn't want to have to much stuff on my computer and slow it down more than it is now,and I want to still be able to get on the site.

You can keep all browsers in your computer. Personally I used to use Firefox and I ditch it for Chrome, when I saw how fast it is comared to Firefox.
IE is installed by default, soI keep it there anyways.

#15 ·
I downloaded it and so far I like it way better than I did firefox.Having a lot less problems with video's and seems a lot faster.Thanks Teck.

#16 ·
LOL...

I use IE8, and like it!

If I ever think its getting slow (which I dont) I just upgrade my PC

Com on guys, you really need and extra .005 second boost?

I run a quad core, Win7 64 bit and 8 gigs of ram. (nothing much now a days) and IE8 takes maybe 1 second to load and maybe 1 to 3 more seconds to log the user by cookieinto this page!

You guys need to check your boxes for bloatware, I keep my system clean and stable and IE8 has never given me a single problem in my system.

#17 ·
Deleting the cookies, fixed the login issue. The other problems are still there...

siradude said:
LOL...

I use IE8, and like it!

If I ever think its getting slow (which I dont) I just upgrade my PC

Com on guys, you really need and extra .005 second boost?

I run a quad core, Win7 64 bit and 8 gigs of ram. (nothing much now a days) and IE8 takes maybe 1 second to load and maybe 1 to 3 more seconds to log the user by cookieinto this page!

You guys need to check your boxes for bloatware, I keep my system clean and stable and IE8 has never given me a single problem in my system.
"Both the French and German governments warned their populations to cease using Internet Explorer due to the un-patched flaw. Currently the flaw exists in Internet Explorer versions 6, 7 and 8..."

http://www.neowin.net/news/should-you-stop-using-internet-explorer

I read this in January and make me laugh when actual governments told you NOT to use IE. I really don't trust politicians, but for once they were actually right... I stopped using this browser long time ago. Just google it to find out why you should stay away from IE.

#19 ·
TECK said:
"Both the French and German governments warned their populations to cease using Internet Explorer due to the un-patched flaw.

Read the article... The title is Should you stop using Internet Explorer?and their final answer was NO.

They are talking about a flaw using an UNPATCHED version of IE6!. UNPATHCED! and how they(govt.) assume this might extend to the later versions.

From your article link said:
This week Microsoft began urging businesses and consumers to upgrade to Internet Explorer 8, explaining that the security benefits are far greater than that of Internet Explorer 6. However, for corporations and web designers there’s a continued reminder that for many years Microsoft ignored emerging and defined web standards in Internet Explorer, especially in version 6.

Currently the flaw exists in Internet Explorer versions 6, 7 and 8 but exploit code is only available for Internet Explorer 6. The reason IE 7 and 8 are both unaffected for now is due to the increased security of the software. Internet Explorer 7 introduced a phishing filter, protected mode to run the browser in a sandbox at low level security rights (vista only) and improved management of ActiveX controls. Microsoft improved security in IE8 by running the browser frame and tabs in separate processes and per-site ActiveX controls. Both IE 7 and 8 also include support for Data Execution Prevention (DEP) that prevents buffer overflow attacks.

So do these attacks mean you should stop using Internet Explorer? Simply put, no.

LOL.. if you are running and UNPATCHED version of Internet Explorer 6at this time, you are a MORON! (not intended as an insult, unless you are running a version of IE6 and do not patch).I understand the the enterprise world might still be using IE6, but thats due to their own internal needs/lack of software upgrades due to costs, in no way does this imply that single home users out there would in any way benefit from using IE6. Windows 7 and IE8 combination is one of the MOST secure combinations in the MS world, way more secure than Win 7 and Firefox and chrome offers a similar sandbox experience but really not as separate from the kernel as IE8.

Microsoft said:
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/security-threats/2010/01/18/french-german-governments-warn-against-ie-39994504/

"Customers using Internet Explorer 8 are not affected by currently known attacks and exploits due to the improved security protections in IE8," Microsoft said in a statement. "To help protect our customers, we recommend that all customers immediately upgrade to Internet Explorer 8."

You have to remember there are a LOT of Microsoft haters out there and misinformation and pokes at it will continue forever.

If you are running IE8 and experience slow performance, this is usually due to addons/controls installed in your browser due to sloppy user maintenance/browser navigation, go to your "manage addons" and disable all and just keep stuff like Flash,iSpell (thats all I keep for now).

If you install every addons a web suggests like (facebook apps/web printing/file uploads/blah blah blah) your browser will have to load all of those making your web experience slow.

If you want to set your IE8 to as close to factory defaults and start over clean (addons/controls) go to your top menu and select "Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab/RESET" ... clear all and start browsing again.

TO CONCLUDE:

The French Govt. saying to you should stop using IE7 and IE8 because of an exploit in a IE6 (unpatched) flawis like me stating that you should not buy any Ford car due to the Ford Pinto's flaw when hit from behind!

Yes! I'm comparing IE6 to a Ford Pinto!
and so should you!

#20 ·
lagalaxy8 said:
Well I see that firefox is why i can't log in at home. I had to use firefox so i could use this site on a mac, safari blew. i'll look into google and see if it works well with mac.

I believe from my past experience, is that your safari had problems loggin into this site because it has COOKIES DISABLED from its original state.

You must ENABLE cookies on safari and you shuld be fine after this.

Later versions of SAFARI might already have cookies enabled from its default state but im speculating at this point.

#21 ·
I just got an email from an user who tries to register to forums.

Plain old 'Matthew'.

Floren wrote:
> What is your username on forums?

Thanks. I tried Firefox and Chrome.
I got my user name registered OK (I think), but I get nothing back from the forum regarding initial login password.
I'll give IE a shot.

Floren wrote:
> Try using Internet Explorer 7, is the only browser that works. I will
> post a message on the board to let CarKnee know about the issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> Floren
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> -- On 19 Aug 2010 6:41 p.m., Matthew @ Axivo Forums
> Matthew wrote:
>
> The following message was sent to you via the Axivo Forums Contact Us
> form by Matthew.
>
> --------------------------------
>
> Teck,
>
> I have been trying to join the Warrior forum for days, and I get
> nothing. Do you have a contact for Sean Kearny or other admin over
> there? If not, could you forward this to Sean through the forum? I'd
> like to be a member, but it seems I'm not wanted.
>
> Thanks
>
> Matthew

#23 ·
siradude said:
lagalaxy8 said:
Well I see that firefox is why i can't log in at home. I had to use firefox so i could use this site on a mac, safari blew. i'll look into google and see if it works well with mac.

I believe from my past experience, is that your safari had problems loggin into this site because it has COOKIES DISABLED from its original state.

You must ENABLE cookies on safari and you shuld be fine after this.

Later versions of SAFARI might already have cookies enabled from its default state but im speculating at this point.

No my problem before was being able to post links, upload, and general problemsetc. It's a safari thing, was having the same problems on other sites also.

#24 ·
Trust me, is not a Safari thing. The rich text editor you should see here (and into other sites) is deprecated.

Safari, Chrome and all the rest of Webkit browsers use proper/modern technology. Is the developers who create web applications that don't bother to keep up with the updates.

Go to any vBulletin powered site and you will see that your Safari browser works perfectly.

#26 ·
Sangathor said:
I've emailed Carknee and asked him to take a look at this thread. The site hasn't been generating subscription emailslately so maybe it's not sending password emails either.
I was not able to subscribe to notifications, since I became a member here. The fact that CarKnee does not answer to this thread does not make it look good. I send him an email with the link, he got it for sure because the email notification works. I get email or PM notifications from the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.