RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have waited a long time and finally found my Warrior. So, I go check it out and it starts, but it is running rough. The check engine light is on and there's a winding noise coming from the front of the bike. The seller says that it has been sitting up for 6 years. Oh, yeah, the gas is horrible, smells like the gas that came out of VW bug that has sat up for 20 years. Is this normal? (the CEL and winding noise). No ticking or grinding though. Any help will be appreciated. I am middle GA, and if anyone lives near Vidalia/Statesboro and could help me get my bike up and running, let me know.
yamaha2.jpg

·
Administrator
28,357 Posts
So you've been riding it a little, or no?

Sounds like you need a gallon of fresh fuel and you need to add a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil into the motor oil (you might need to remove a pint of the old oil). Be sure air filters are clean and no rats nests. Then ride it until its fully warm then drain motor oil from both 17mm plugs, install fresh oil and filter. Go for a ride. Hopefully the groaning sounds will be gone.

Of course look everything over first, its good to have brakes and lights!

Maybe after that post a video so we can hear wassup.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
So sitting for 6 years huh. I would try to drain or siphon all the old gas out first. Then fluids and check under the tank to see how things are looking under there like old lines, hoses, if there is a BAK. What mods does she have done to her?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So sitting for 6 years huh. I would try to drain or siphon all the old gas out first. Then fluids and check under the tank to see how things are looking under there like old lines, hoses, if there is a BAK. What mods does she have done to her?
The bike only has 6k miles and it does not have any mods. I am optimistic that I can just clean or replace the injectors and change the oil. The noise is, hopefully, something minor. And, the CEL is related to the bad gas. Question: Would a Marvel Mystery oil bath be good for the pistons? Oh, prior to starting it, there was no oil on the dipstick?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Sounds like you need a gallon of fresh fuel and you need to add a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil into the motor oil (you might need to remove a pint of the old oil). Be sure air filters are clean and no rats nests. Then ride it until its fully warm then drain motor oil from both 17mm plugs, install fresh oil and filter. Go for a ride. Hopefully the groaning sounds will be gone.

I definitely thought of MMO. When I first checked the oil, there was no oil on the dipstick. I assumed because it had been leaning for so long. Would you recommend putting MMO into the pistons? Only 6k miles on the odometer... Stay tuned for the video. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

No rides. Just waiting to I get my funds right. :confused:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have waited a long time and finally found my Warrior. So, I go check it out and it starts, but it is running rough. The check engine light is on and there's a winding noise coming from the front of the bike. The seller says that it has been sitting up for 6 years. Oh, yeah, the gas is horrible, smells like the gas that came out of VW bug that has sat up for 20 years. Is this normal? (the CEL and winding noise). No ticking or grinding though. Any help will be appreciated. I am middle GA, and if anyone lives near Vidalia/Statesboro and could help me get my bike up and running, let me know. View attachment 248774
So you bought it anyway?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
There is a certain way to check the oil, if it hasn't been mentioned. I would check or replace all the rubber lines because after all those years they are probably dry rotted and leaking causing the CEL light, and will make the bike run bad. Maybe an easy fix for you hopefully.

·
Administrator
28,357 Posts
I definitely thought of MMO. When I first checked the oil, there was no oil on the dipstick. I assumed because it had been leaning for so long. Would you recommend putting MMO into the pistons? Only 6k miles on the odometer... Stay tuned for the video. Thanks for responding.
The cylinders are nikasil lined so likely the rings did not stick. But as you know a wee pittance of MMO in the fuel can never hurt. If it were me, since you already have it running, I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Drain everything, change oil filter, gas filter if you can, air filters. Fill up with new. Plugs should be changed while your at it. You will have a great bike :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was curious about this Marvel Mystery Oil. I found that we don’t have it here in Australia. eBay only shows the US as the selling Country. I did some reading and it’s a bit like the upper cylinder lube I talked about a month or so ago.

·
Administrator
28,357 Posts
I was curious about this Marvel Mystery Oil. I found that we don’t have it here in Australia. eBay only shows the US as the selling Country. I did some reading and it’s a bit like the upper cylinder lube I talked about a month or so ago.
It doesn't lube down-under you are spinning the wrong way hahahahahaha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Drain everything, change oil filter, gas filter if you can, air filters. Fill up with new. Plugs should be changed while your at it. You will have a great bike :)
Thanks for the reply DEC. You said, "everything"... Gear oil and brake fluid too? Again, thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts