RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my service rep at the Yam dealer who said the recall kits have been changed. He said they do NOT include new rings now so the rebuild process should not take as long. Has anyone else heard this?? What does everyone think??[?][?]

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
No break in, you wouldn't have to worry about seating new rings.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The pistons have to come out. Replacing a ring or two on a piston is not an all-day affair. More like about one minute per ring (or less). Sounds like a bit of blarney to me.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Sounds strange. I think you would create more problems by not replacing the rings. Maybe he's just feeding you a line.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I've just got my kit and can't find any new piston rings - should I buy some? I have ordered the OE HC pistons, to they come with new rings?

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Troyus

Who cares, 108 kits rule! I need a new tire now.

I second that emotion!!!

·
Registered
22,677 Posts
I haven't heard anything official, but I saw it mentioned somewhere in the forum that they did not actually have to remove the pistons from the jugs and that was why they weren't going to put new rings on. I don't have enough experience to know better, but it sort of sounds bogus to me.

Maybe someone like churchkey can chime in?

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is a difference between the UK/European kits and the US.
US kit part number 90891-10119-00.
UK/European part number 90891-10120-00.

The European kits do not contain the piston rings, 4th gear wheel and corresponding circlip.
I've checked with Yamaha UK and spoke to one of there Technicians.
His reasoning, although nothing official, was that most of the European bikes had just come out of the crates and would have very low mileage, any wear in the tranny / engine would be minimal.
The 4th gear wheel runs against the Pinion gear etc with the problem circlip, any abnormal wear to the gear due to alignment would only occur on higher mileage bikes.

Mine's a US import and I've covered 10K miles. So I have purchase the additional gear for the rebuild, just in case there are any problems with wear.

Ghostdog
Ride to live
Live to Ride

·
Registered
248 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Bulldog234x

I was talking to my service rep at the Yam dealer who said the recall kits have been changed. He said they do NOT include new rings now so the rebuild process should not take as long. Has anyone else heard this?? What does everyone think??[?][?]

Yea, all good mechanics put used crap back in a motor when they rebuild it, and then they can save even more by putting in the same oil and filter they drained out of it before tearing it down![:0]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts