RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've always paid a shop to replace my tires, and it's time my rear tire is replaced. I'm new to working on bikes (aka motostupid) and am learning as I go (now that I have the service manual I'm twice as dangerous!). How hard is it to remove the rear tire and is it possible to be done with standard tools? Or is this a precision job I should leave to a professional? It's $30 cheaper to mount a tire if I remove and install the tire myself first. Would doing this be worth saving the $30?

·
Registered
498 Posts
As far as I can see there is no special tools needed for this job. It all depends on how brave you are and confident in your mechanical skills. As far as saving money it's always good but for just $30 bucks I would personally have some one who knows how to change the tire themselves. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Like everything else ,Having the right tools will make the job easier ,much easier. Can you do it all by yourself -Yes. Will it be an enormous pain in the @ss you bet! Do you have a lift? motorcycle jack? NO! then NO! If yes,I suggest this time if you want, go ahead and take the tire off and carry it in and let the shop do this one . In the future .go to harbour freight and get there set up for changing motorcycle tires. With their tools the job will go much easier. And from that point on you will not have to pay the shop any more for their tire changing services. Numerous members have gone this route with great success. If $$$ isn't a problem No-Mar sells an excellent bike tire changer and if you can get some friends together to offset the purchase price then you will save lots of money and quickly since the warrior eats tires. Good luck if you go the DIY route patience is a virtue and curssing and swearing will result,breaking that bead well you'll see and by the time it's all doneyou will probably wish you would have paid the $ instead of wasting all that time and effort to DIY. But with the right tools I say DIY by all means Good Luck!

No special tools to get tire off bike (tool kit has that) but do you want to mar your rims w/a tire iron or big screw driver etc. I's gittin that tire off the rim and back on that is a little harder Hope this helps!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I removed the wheel, at home, and took it to a shop to have them mount the tire on the rim. They charged $25.00 to mount. If you remove it yourself, make sure you remove the brake caliper from the swingarm. It leaves nasty scratches on rim.. Found out the hard way.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Do yourself a favor and visit Harbor Freight and purchase their tire changer with the Motorcycle attachment. It,ll cost you about $80.00 for both. Mount it in concrete and you're set for life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts