RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to give some more advise from my first oil change for my Warrior. I've read several forums on oil changes and could not find a thread that matched my experience.
When I started to add oil about 2.6 qrts, I started my bike like the manuel says and others from this board, turned it off to check my dipstick and nothing was on it. Not surprising though, so I added 3.5 qrts and checked it again after starting the bike again, let it sit for a few minutes and nothing on the dipstick again. I then added 4 full qrts and did the same routine again, and surprising nothing on the dipstick again. So I added the final .3 qrts which would be the total 4.3 qrts required when changing the filter too and started the bike and amazing nothing on the dipstick again. At this time I said "no I'm not adding any more oil" so I road my bike over a friends house in my same subdivision and later checked my dipstick after whipping it off and checked the oil once again and finally there was a quarter of an inch of oil on it which is still not in the middle of the high and low level marks. Later on when I left my friends house I went on a longer ride about 4 miles away to get gas and again check my oil and it was right on the high level mark. When I got home I whipped off the dipstick again and checked it after about 10 minutes and it was at the exact same high level mark. Basically in a nut shell you need to warm up your bike totally hot because oil will expand significantly and if you don't you will get false readings.

I'm using Amsoil 20w 50 for the first time and my bike runs great and shifts smooth. When I bought the bike use from a private party the first owner overfilled the oil way too much and I was leaking oil about the size of a nickel in a (12 hour period) from the crankcase vent tube. So obviously he was probably fooled from the dipstick readings.

BTW My bike does not leak any more oil from the crankcase vent tube since I changed it myself.

I hope my tips can help you out.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
the oil dosent really expand it just takes a full warmup to get the oil into the oil tank under the seat. for some members the oil level will stay that high over night and for others ten minutes after shutoff there will be no oil on the dipstick. in short you are right warm it up fully before you check your oil

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
check the ground and see if you forgot to put the plug in. Either that, you are like some of my black jack players and just can't count. Like said, bike has to be fully warm, and standing straight up, to get an accurate reading. I just always put in 5 quarts and don't worry about it till the next oil change.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Glad you decided to share information that has been extensively discussed on this forum for well over 6 years and might I add you need to go recheck your math, cause how I read it you too over filled the oil by quite a bit....as pointed out by Fred.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts