RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's official; I'm an IDIOT. I've had my Svr 14 for just over a year now. I disconnected it from the warrior for winter storage and brought the battery in the house to keep it charged. I hooked it up to my "el cheapo" Schumacher float style maintainer and left it sitting for those few months. Well it turns out that I left the charger/maintainer on the 6 volt setting, apparently a mistake. It is now too weak to start the bike, ofcourse, or to even register any power flow at all. I tested it and it shows 5 volts. So I hooked up the battery to the Schumacher again, only this time on the 12 volt setting. After about 15 seconds the "trouble" light comes on and stays lit constantly and the charging light goes out. Is my battery ruined? If so, any ideas about why? I still have my old battery and I have it on the Schumacher now and it seems to be taking the charge. Since it is only a 1.5 amp maintainer I imagine that it will take quite awhile to charge up all the way, if at all. It has been sitting for over a year now, unmaintained (stock battery). Please chime in to give me any insight or to just tell me what a dough-head I am.

Thanks,

sk

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
I think I would expirement and hook the battery to a regular 12volt charger and see if it will come back. Its worth a try and if it comes back, you have saved the cost of a new battery.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
I think I have that same charger, it's OK most of the time but I've had it tell me a battery had troubles and wouldn't do anything with it. You might try hooking some battery cables to it and hook the other end to your car battery with the car running for ten or 15 minute, letting the alternator charge the svr for a bit. Once there's a little juice in it, the charger may finish the job. Then again, you may waste ten or 15 minutes of your life.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I ditto what everyone else is saying - i'd probably connect it to a charger made for cars - leave it on the low setting if there is an option. and let it charge. ps make sure its set for 12Volts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I will give your suggestions a try. Oh, and 12 volts this time.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Dead batteries are a lot easier to save than a battery that has been boiled.Like the previous poster said, I'd put it on the car charger just to kick it back to life, then try the low amp motorcycle charger to bring it back up the rest of the way. Too much time on a car charger could fry it. Even on a low setting. But half and hour or so probably couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya, they do, 1 year. I bought mine on the 13 of February, so I think I may have just missed the deadline. But I got mine all charged up and working properly now.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A friend of mine has a nifty little charger, the optimate. It slowly charges the battery and then tests it to make sure it holds a charge, and then if it needs, it desulfates the battery, bringing it back to normal capacity. It has auto maintaining so it won't overcharge and it will tell you if your battery is bad. It took about 2 1/2 days to bring it back from the dead. If I have any more issues with the battery I'll post here. Honestly, I've only gotten two short rides in so far. We were teased with 2-3 days of warmer temp (along with gale force winds, but I can deal with a little wind) and then it got cold again along with light snow for the past 5 days.

·
Registered
263 Posts
EssKay said:
A friend of mine has a nifty little charger, the optimate.

that is the best charger around. all the bike manufacturers use it. i have used it to bring back batteries that customers thought were dead after they had charged them. i would recomend them for anyone looking for a charger or a maintainer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts