RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the cheapest 240 wheel kit out on the market atm?

With kit, im talking about rear and front rim + swing.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
The cheapest is a DIY (do it yourself) mod. You can modify the swingarm yourself, but the rim will need to be widened to accommodate the 240 tire.

The least expensive way to go on the rim/tire is to send it to Kosman Specialties in California and have them do a "raw" finish. This will leave the welded bead in the rim (visible) but it's a clean looking weld. With shipping to and from Kosman you're looking at about $650. If you want the welds turned down smooth, add another $200.

You have a couple of options on the tire. If you can be content with the Dunlop 240, you can specify an 8" wide rim. If you feel you may want to go with the Metz 240, or possibly go to a 260 later (which will requireanother swingarm mod) you should go with 8-1/2" wide. The difference in price on the Dunlop 240 verses Metz 240 is about $70 with the Metz being the more expensive one.

Bottom line: Kosman modified wheel (raw) with Dunlop 240 and DIYswingarm will be approx $825.00

Do a search for DIY 240 or DIY Swingarm Mod to find details.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
you might want to check this out:

http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/119691.aspx

gives you room for a 240 up to a 260 if you decide you want to run bigger. Also, if you win the raffle, your cost on the swingarm is free!

BTW, it's not my business, I am just a firend and customer of Jim's...

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
That's a heck of a deal! If anyone is going to do the phat tire mod this winter, I'll vouch for Jim's knowledge, quality, and value. I'm running the 260 swingarm with hidden caliper and love it. Thanks for a great job, Jim!

·
Registered
370 Posts
At what width do you have to modify the swingarm? Just curious but I've been thinking more and more about doing this too but don't want to go any farther than a 240.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
If you're doing it yourself, you first need to decide if you want to do the Dunlop (using an 8" wide wheel) or the Metz with an 8-1/2" wide wheel). The Metz requires a little bit more modification than the Dunlop plus the metz costs about $70 more. If you determine you want to go 8" wide with the Dunlop you need to send your wheel to Kosman. If it's an 8-1/2" w/Metz that you prefer, you can send your wheel to Jim at Crown for an exchange. Either way you're going to pay about the same price for the wheel mod. Jim can also furnish the tire if you like.

When you get the wheel back and have the tire installed, remove your swingarm and assemble the wheel/tire on it. It won't go completely on but it will allow you to mark the areas where you need to use an angle grinder to remove stock. Remember if you go with the Dunlop/8" you will be removing very little stock.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Why not just save your money and do it right. Wait till you can afford the 280!!! it will suck to widen the wheel twice.

Aaron

·
Registered
893 Posts
personally i like the 260 best. but my buddy does have the 280 and it is PHAT. i went with the 8.5 wheel, so if i did want to go to a 240, i could. so that is another option you want to consider if you do want to start with a 240. jim ,aka crown, only does a 260 swingarm mod to accomodate both a 240 and 260.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
I've been considering the 280, but only if I have two bikes. The 240 handled fine. The 260 was a bit more of a challenge, but not too bad. I can imagine what the 280 and 300 would be like. I ride the twisties a lot and anything above the 260 will probably be too much. In fact I'm dropping down to a 250 next year. Only about 3/16" narrower and more fender clearance.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Pep said:
The cheapest is a DIY (do it yourself) mod. You can modify the swingarm yourself, but the rim will need to be widened to accommodate the 240 tire.

The least expensive way to go on the rim/tire is to send it to Kosman Specialties in California and have them do a "raw" finish. This will leave the welded bead in the rim (visible) but it's a clean looking weld. With shipping to and from Kosman you're looking at about $650. If you want the welds turned down smooth, add another $200.

You have a couple of options on the tire. If you can be content with the Dunlop 240, you can specify an 8" wide rim. If you feel you may want to go with the Metz 240, or possibly go to a 260 later (which will requireanother swingarm mod) you should go with 8-1/2" wide. The difference in price on the Dunlop 240 verses Metz 240 is about $70 with the Metz being the more expensive one.

Bottom line: Kosman modified wheel (raw) with Dunlop 240 and DIYswingarm will be approx $825.00

Do a search for DIY 240 or DIY Swingarm Mod to find details.

Good reply - should be a sticky...

·
Administrator
29,678 Posts
I had this handy:

http://www.kosman.net/

[*]WHL-WUP

[*]Base Price $425.00

[*]Add $70.00 for diameter increase
[*]Add $75.00 for asymmetrical offset
[*]Add$100.00 for additional width beyond 1.5",
subject to feasibility - typically requires a 1" increase in diameter [/list][/list]

http://www.performanceedge.us/predpricing.htm

Wheel widening 18 x 8.5 service:
Bearing removal and installation is included at no charge.
Raw finish
(weld bead exposed) $625
Raw finish
(weld bead removed) $825
Midnight finish with pin stripe $1050
Stock finish with clear coat $1050
Chrome finish $1275

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've been slowly adding to my paypal account and am hoping that by spring, there'll be enough to cover it. Test rode a rocker the other day and didn't mind how the 240 felt. It's going to come down to either looks or performance. If I go looks, then Ill have to be happy with the performance of the bike and won't do the motor up kit. I'm getting too used to the slightly more power than stock feel and am ready to go faster. If I go performance, then the fat tire look will probably have to wait until I buy another bike someday. 300 is too wide looking for me. I'm not even sure about the 280. I like it on bikes with a more raked front end.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Be carefulkeeping money in a PayPal account. They are scoundrels as far as taking money out if you have soem type of 'disagreement' with an ebay sale. If that is how you are adding to it. Under a mattress, cookie jar or wallet may be safer IMHO.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I lust went to jim (crown) That guy is awsome!!! I did 260 cost wasnt bad only took 5 days sent my stuff out got back all within 5 days he had the parts on shelf good chance he may have widened rim contact and check it out

·
Registered
370 Posts
Went through that with Paypal once, but good advice still. Who is this jim crown? Is he on here or does he have a website?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts