RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I'd let everyone know of a potentially very dangerous problem i found with my corbin seat today. The front threaded inserts were almost completely pulled on the front of the seat. I found it by accident. I was just doing some periodic checking and thought i'd put a little grease on the catch. when I did the thing almost pulled out. It's scary to think about this happening while doing 45MPH through some twisty's. I took the seat to dealer i purchased it thru (about 2 months ago). He readily took it back (in fact insisted he would let me leave with it) and promised to have me a new seat.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys know. Only takes a couple minutes to check.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a dual tourer. Connects at the front via a "loop" that engages the catch hook on the bike. It looks like the "loop" on the seat was welded slightly offset such that each time the seat was removed, it torqued the bracket that the loop was welded to.

The rear of the seat is simply slides into a bracket mounted on the fender - It's not positive engagement, just slides in and out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
hi ive just checked mine all seems ok as i got the seat with the bike and it looks as iff its been moded by way of it havining nuts and large washers inside the seat and seems very secure

steve

·
Premium Member
8,920 Posts
... i'm really verysurprised to hear about the failure of the frt hardware inserts. Those 2-threadedpcs are an integral part of the seat pan and are installed in the mould prior to laying up the fiberglass pan! With all the prying and pulling that manymembers have reported with their new Corbin seats, i can't ever remember an incident such as yours

The frt attachment hardwareskewed construction & single rear tab is typical of the Corbin seat pan attachment to the Warrior
... enclosing a couple of photos of the '04' Stinger as received Apr '05'. Initially, until the seat was broken in, it was necessary to install 2-washers acting as shims between the frt bracket & th'd inserts to aid in latching as reported by many members.

My visit to Corbin a year ago with Jaytee and a critique of their manufacturing operation if interested: http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/107325/892761.aspx#892761

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I certainly appreciate the info on corbin, the seat does appear well made, but it is completely unsatisfactory to have the threaded inserts pull out. I've got over 5000 miles on the seat, i would have thought it would be broke in by now. They are making me a new seat, which i will use, but I will make checking the connecting mechanism's a part of my routine checks. I will also take the advise of many members on this forum and try other seats before purchasing my solo...I doubt I'll have the gutsto try corbin again.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Much as I enjoy Corbin's DualTour and YoungGuns, I'll be the first to agree that their quality control is absolutely attrocious. One of the Supervisor's attitude was extraordinarily unimpressive too when I e-mailed Mike Corbin to make sure he knew about it. Anyone buying Corbin has to make sure their seat is VERY hard foam to start with since the workers just pour the two foam parts into the mould. It seems to be purely good luck if the proportions are correct. My YoungGuns came softer than stock and wrong materials and wrong colors. Our site sponsor had 10 returned Corbin seats out of 10 delivered!! Incredible but great for UPS I guess.

Thank you for the heads-up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts