RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, for some reason my right signal light bulb located into speedo does not blink anymore... I think is burned. Anyone has a guide that tells me how to take that thing apart? Or is there an easier way to check if the light bulb is burned, without taking the speedo in pieces?

Thanks a lot.

Floren

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Are we to assume that your actual right turn signal light works fine but the indicator in the speedo does not?

Just to clarify....

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, the blinker lights work perfect on both sides, front and rear (no fast blinking). The left light blinks into speedo, but not the right one. So I presume is probably a burned bulb... I'm afraid to take it apart, not sure I will break something... I ask you guys first. :)

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
The speedometer assembly is actually not serviceable, but I remember a thread here that someone made to change the background face of the speedometer to a custom pic.

They had step by step instruction on how to take apart the speedo, some cutting a gluing might be needed though.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Sira... so if the bulb is burned I have to replace the entire speedo...
In a way I kind of like that, as I was planning to to re-position it so it does not get blocked anymore by the Carlini bars. I'm going to check it tomorrow, based on your image. There is one thing I'm not clear. The B is the negative and BR the positive. So if I want to check the other bulbs, I connect the negative to LG and positive to Y? Or I just connect the negative to B and then the positive to any other connectors? Just making sure...

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
I think this is a green plug coming off the speedo. (not sure)

Just keep the negative lead as shown in the pic. Then hit all the other pins one at the time with the positive lead wire and each pin should turn on a specific LED.

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
Hi guys, for some reason my right signal light bulb located into speedo does not blink anymore... I think is burned. Anyone has a guide that tells me how to take that thing apart? Or is there an easier way to check if the light bulb is burned, without taking the speedo in pieces?

Thanks a lot.

Floren
Be careful with your tinkering here :rolleyes: The plug in question on the OEM wiring is Green as stated by Eric.
The Brown wire is positive polarity and is NOT used for the turn signal indicators

Not that i'm selling anything but the wiring diagram in my Sig has the polarities and is a very useful tool...

The RH signal led indicator is Dark Green = Positive battery terminal & Negative battery terminal to Black wire

·
Registered
619 Posts
Look in wyomingwarrior's DIY thread for the custom speedo face I did a wright up on taking the speedo apart. The lights are led's that are soldered in but others have changed them out in the past.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Be careful with your tinkering here :rolleyes: The plug in question on the OEM wiring is Green as stated by Eric.
The Brown wire is positive polarity and is NOT used for the turn signal indicators

Not that i'm selling anything but the wiring diagram in my Sig has the polarities and is a very useful tool...

The RH signal led indicator is Dark Green = Positive battery terminal & Negative battery terminal to Black wire
I will be careful Alan, thanks. And I know your advice is always priceless, you are not selling anything. Feel free to educate me any time you see me doing something wrong. Better be safe than sorry. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys. Not sure if this is the right place so here it goes. Installed front led turn signals and have rear integrated rear led as well. I've ran a small bulb into the headlight bucket wired along the blue running light wires and ground to solve COD, however! Both turn signal indicators (left and right arrows) remain on in the instrument cluster when flashers are off. For context; the front led signals are 3 wire for blinker, running, and ground. I've already assigned the blue wires as running light and the corresponding turn signal wire to each side. Any ideas where I could check to resolve the display issues? Thanks guys!

·
Administrator
28,573 Posts
So the COD solution is already done. Its a separate circuit so its a separate fix from the turn signal flash rate. It will not flash because you now have all led's. No where near enough resistance.

When you have all led front and rear turn signals you need to replace the missing electrical-load so the stock flasher can work.

The options:

If you do not care about the stock auto-cancel feature for turn signals (which is a great feature imo) then buy a 12v ELECTRONIC signal relay. It electronically sets the flash rate. But if you forget to turn them off then another driver might pull in front of you expecting you to turn first. Oops.

Or instead get LOAD EQUALIZERS. One for the left and one for the right. They also come as both Load Equalizers inside one enclosure. This replaces missing electrical load so the flasher can flash. Buy based on replacing front and back and you will get a good enough flash rate.

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
however! Both turn signal indicators (left and right arrows) remain on in the instrument cluster when flashers are off. For context; the front led signals are 3 wire for blinker, running, and ground. I've already assigned the blue wires as running light and the corresponding turn signal wire to each side. Any ideas where I could check to resolve the display issues? Thanks guys!
I suspect that the root cause of this issue is that there is an electrical feed back through the new 3-wire led lights to the T/S indicators in the cluster from the running light circuit.
You can try several things to prove this out. Be sure the T/S switch is physically cancelled at the switch box housing:
  1. Disconnect the running light wire, in the new device, which should eliminate the feed back for a test.
  2. Temporarily swap the current turn signal and running light wire configuration to see if it changes.
Lastly, a small load resistor in the T/S circuit assuming you're content with the flasher frequency.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks team, I will try this today. The turn signals themselves flash (hyperflash) but the visual indicators (left and right arrows) remain lit - Quite strange but if all else fails, I may just eliminate the front turn signals all together and leave the bulb in the bucket. I saw lots of post about turn signals but not much on the indicators lights.

You guys are great. Thanks again for the priceless info and fast reply. You all kick ass.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Opening up the speedo isn't easy but can be done, I've replaced the dial plate. not sure how the indicator LED's are mounted there though, the pics i took when i had it open don't show that.. but replacing them will prob require some soldering on a tiny scale.
your best bet is as stated checking the wiring thouroughly cos that's the most likely place for the failure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update: kept it stupid simple (k.i.s.s) removed the runing light (blue wire) from the front assembly and the indicators no longer remain on. This means no front running lights at all. Flash rate remains rapid, but i rather have this - Here in Florida is best to be seen and heard (drivers here are on mad max level). Now, onto a different issue! Just found my intergrated tail lamp assy from clear industries has a wire that has rattled loose inside the housing - as i move the wire, the rear right turn signal losses contact. This housing lens is glued to the LED board making it non-serviceable. I now have to find a way to unglue the lens (good luck...) from the housing and re-solder the bad connection, or simply buy another... anyone here have one for sale? Cheap?

·
Premium Member
8,823 Posts
I don't have one to sell you but this failure is 'A' Typical of some of the aftermarket integrated T/S's :(

There use to be Lots of Press on this Forum of the DIY repair for this particular failure. You'll need some patience, a Dremel tool or equivalent, X-ACTO knife, solder iron & silicone sealant!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts