RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the post about other people having trouble getting an accurate oil reading. I too am having this problem. A couple of weeks ago I changed my oil, using the method stated in the book. For reasons I won't go into I had to wait a week to change my filter. I added a little extra to make up for the change.

Yesterday, after a day of riding I checked my oil, it appeared to be low; bottom of the dipstick. So I added a bit, middle of the stick.

Today I let the bike idle for a bit. Checked the oil, nothing...what! So I add a bit, at the middle. Take it for a quick spin and it's all the way to the top...so I get out a turkey baster and take some out, middle of the stick. Go riding tonight, get to my friends house, it's all the way to the top! Arrgh! Is this normal? I don't want it to be over or under filled, but at this point I'm baffled...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The oil will slowly drain out of the oil tank into the crankcase, so you have to check it after the bike has been running. Secondly, make sure the bike is full upright when you check it, not on the stand, that can cause low readings. Last, The oil will expand as the bike gets hot, so if you only run it for a few minutes and then check it it will be lower, mid to bottom of stick, but will be full when it's at operating temperature.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do I want it full or mid stick at operating temp? I was just going by the service manual which said to let it run for several minutes and check it, at which point it should be mid stick.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I, too , am stumped on this oil checking thing.

I checked the oil after a couple of hours of riding, and it seemed even below the min mark.

Today, I checked the oil after idling the engine for 5 minutes, it seems bone dry ! ! I even screwed in the stick, but absolutely no oil.

I got the bike from a guy two months who had changed the oil and tires begining of summer.
Is the oil gone? I noticed the engine block a bit greese when i was washing the bike. Is the motor leaking the oil?? I am freaking out [/emoticons/emotion-6.gif!]
Help !

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
your bike probably did not get warm enough. you are PROBABLY fine. if you want total peace of mind then you could always drain your oil and refill

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
If you run it five minutes and check it... It will certainly read low.
It's a dry sump system. When cold, the oil is slow to run down from the rockerboxes, so is not available to the scavenging pump that sends it back UP to the tank where you can check it.

Check it when it's hot! After at least a 20 miute ride is best.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In my case, after 5 minutes, the stick was dry.

okay i followed the instructions on video: https://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/service/viewservicetip.aspx?ls=star&yr=2006&lid=2&mid=60&tid=8

Basically, i rode for about 12 mintues - couldn't do 15 becuase it started to rain
Idle for 30 seconds and checked the oil a minute after shutting the motor.
When I took the dip stick out the first time, oil level was half. I wiped it off, dipped it again, and dry.
The motor doesn't sound like its without oil. Runs smooth.
I guess I'll have to drain it and put 3.7L in. I don't know if the previous owner screwed it up or the motor is burning the oil or something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I drained the oil over the weekend - and it was over 3 Liters -which just wouldn't register on the dip stick every time I checked!

I added 4 L (manual says 3.7 L) of Castrol 10W40 as I couldn't find 20W40 anywhere and I didn't want to pay dealer four times more for it.

The oil now registers full on the dip stick.

We were trying to open the crankcase drain bolt with the wrench from the tool kit, and during the adventure, we put a couple of deep scratches to the chases and engine block. Is there anything I could/should about that? Maybe touch up the paint or something? Or there is no harm in leaving them like that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Northern_Warrior

So I drained the oil over the weekend - and it was over 3 Liters -which just wouldn't register on the dip stick every time I checked!

I added 4 L (manual says 3.7 L) of Castrol 10W40 as I couldn't find 20W40 anywhere and I didn't want to pay dealer four times more for it.

The oil now registers full on the dip stick.

We were trying to open the crankcase drain bolt with the wrench from the tool kit, and during the adventure, we put a couple of deep scratches to the chases and engine block. Is there anything I could/should about that? Maybe touch up the paint or something? Or there is no harm in leaving them like that?

Thanks!

I hope your not using regular car oil.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Northern_Warrior

In my case, after 5 minutes, the stick was dry.

okay i followed the instructions on video: https://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/service/viewservicetip.aspx?ls=star&yr=2006&lid=2&mid=60&tid=8

Basically, i rode for about 12 mintues - couldn't do 15 becuase it started to rain
Idle for 30 seconds and checked the oil a minute after shutting the motor.
When I took the dip stick out the first time, oil level was half. I wiped it off, dipped it again, and dry.
The motor doesn't sound like its without oil. Runs smooth.
I guess I'll have to drain it and put 3.7L in. I don't know if the previous owner screwed it up or the motor is burning the oil or something.

Thanks for that link, I learned the correct way to check the oil, Nice.......

·
Registered
40 Posts
Glad i could help you, 06_warrior.

No, its four stroke motorcycle oil.

Though Castrol expert recommends to stick to whatever grade the manual suggests : 20w40.
And we all know we only have one option for that grade.
Well, I am riding on 10w40 this summer. Next time its Yamilube.

·
Registered
581 Posts
That video was great. But how would you do it after an oil change? Would you recommend doing an immediate 15min ride? What if there is not enough? Just put in 4L blind and then ride?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know what you mean.

This is exactly why I drained the oil Just to see how much was left in the motorcycle - instead of just adding some more.
I didn't know if previous owner screwed something up or motorcycle was burning it - and how much had it burned.

If your dip stick is not registering any oil after following the instructions on the video, just add quarter L and check again.
I drained just over 3L but my dip stick did not register anything!

BTW: Do you put 4L with or without filter?

·
Registered
581 Posts
The manual says 4.3 with a new filter / 3.9 without.

The first time i did this, i accidently overfilled it b/c i didn't know how to accurately check it. Draining it afterwards was not easy to do. I also didn't drain both plugs correctly too, so i didn't get all the oil out the first time.

Just wish there was a step by step.

·
Registered
581 Posts
NICE!

Wish i found this when i was 1/2 way through and had oil all over my hands (and laptop keys).

I found other ones that didn't have the picture.

So i guess after filling the rest, you'd do the 15 min ride, 30 idle, then check oil.

GOT IT!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Or just use a turkey baster to get the excess oil out. No mess !
I bought an active product utility lift to make this job easier.

I think I can use the lift for storage during winter.

The service manual i read (written in 2001) recommends 3.7 L without cartridge and 4.1 with cartridge replacement.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts