RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all you guys with the chin spoilers...are you having problems with chipping?i love the look but i am afraid that after about 2 months it would look like toast.unfortuanately the roads less traveled also appear to be the roads less maintained.input and riding conditions appreciated

boogie man

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
I guess that's the down fall of the chin spoiler. I have noticed besides the chipping it collects a lot of dirt on the inside of the spoiler. The one thing that does save the spoiler is it's location. The chips are not really noticeable unless you are down on your hands and knees inspecting it. Still looks tough, so it's worth a few chips.

DarkStar

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a question, too. Does the spoiler have a negative effect on the cooling of the oil in the oil filter? I only ask this question because the "Buckster Oil Cooler" sold on www.roadstarmagazine.com claims this oil filter cover not only protects the oil filter, but also cools the oil.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
leanmuscle,i have one of the covers on order,should be here maybe next week,i currently have the yammie chrome cover and i immediatley noticed an increase in running temp,this is why i ordered bucks filter cover,not sure how it would look with the chin spoiler.i wonder if you could use 3m clear tape on that spolier or clearcoat it several more times with urethane to prevent chipping.i sure like the look. i also wonder if it has any effects on the motor as far as cooling,Darkstar did you notice any before and after changes?the bucks filter claim was 21 degree differential as opposed to with out.i find that very interesting because it is a side benefit,when he designed it i don't think he had that in mind.i plan on painting mine black and then polishing the fin edges so it will match the engine

boogie man

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had the lower cowling on the bike for about six months. Mine is Titanium and if it has chips they are hard to see unless you get down on your hands and knees. The red or indigo may show the chips more.

Don't have any info on the oil temp difference. No oil temp gauge. But, with the funnel shaped hole in the cowling, it seems like the air would be directed to the filter and the front of the engine to help keep it cool. I live in South Texas and have riden in 95°F+ and the beast does good. Yes, it gets hot and cooks my right leg a little at lights. Just gotta keep it rolling. My .02

Tony

·
Registered
394 Posts
I solved the chipping by putting on the clear 3m chip tape on my spoiler. I use this stuff on everything from my truck to the boat trailer and love how it works.
The spoiler is designed to direct more air to the engine. I don't know if it actually works, I didn't notice any significant temp change when I put it on.
It does get very dirty and small gravel collects on the inside, so I think it has to be directing the air in there.
I put it on to protect the oil filter and lower engine from damage. I love the look of it too!
Dsweer1

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
BoogieMan,
Have not noticed any difference with the spoiler pertaining to a cooler engine. It definitly directs air to the lower part of the engine due to all the dirt and such it collects on the inside. I will have to check out that oil cooler you are talking about. Any connection point you can provide me with would be great, email address of who is selling this oil cooler would be great. How much? Thanks!

DarkStar

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yeah, it gets chipped but looks sooo coool! I don't know about the engine temp but it seems to scoop hot air off the road and direct it right at my feet. It's been really hot here and after an hour on the highway its "hotfoot City".I also notice that when I wear lighter weight jeans, my pantlegs get blown up towards my knees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts