RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
29,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[added 5-27-2009 by ArizonaWarrior] - see the rear support pics here: http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/121978/1054325.aspx#1054325

[original post follows]

This turned out nice - thanks to Martin at VacuCoat Technologies, and thanks to Low & Mean for pointing me in their capable direction. Shamless Plug - he earned it: Martin Goldsberry - VacuCoat Technologies, Inc. - ph. (586) 791-1117

I'll post an installed pic too, once the screen is installed in a couple weeks.

·
Administrator
29,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: Chrome Low & Mean Cowling

To whoever asked - sorry I got busy and didn't respond before deleting the email -several of us got a small discount in a semi-group-buy for the Low and Mean cowling itself, and I paid the normal price for the chroming ($100) however I suspect if they chrome several at the same time the price would be less. Low and Mean will ship direct for chroming if you want.

Edited 11-16-08 by ArizonaWarrior: I've learned the chroming price I paid was already discounted.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts

BJMartin said:
Wheres the pics of it mounted?
+1 ....
TheForum guide lines hereare For completed and installed mods only!!!.per JPWARRIOR!

You have96 hrs to post the completed installed and documentedphotos of the L&M cowling else this postwill be moved to the Vendors Forum

I don't know the complexity of theprocess used to chrome the L&M cowl mat'l but $100.00 is an excellent priceIMO.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts

Trick said:
would love to see this mounted. looks good!

#1 - as you've beenawol for a few days [that means less than 20 posts per day - i'm counting...] i'd at least have expected to see that ruddymesh saga installed? if not the beast wearing it's new shiny coat [ducks.. i'm just tooo quick for ya - lol] - so far so good my friend - looking forward to seeing the whole box of new kit fitted asap - ok ok so you wouldn't have anything to do in the long winter months [i hear you] but hey 'we' need you here
[as 'bruce' doesn't want it]

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts

tomba said:
i'd at least have expected to see that ruddymesh saga installed

am i allowed to quote from my own post? - just to add if ya asking, i prefer the square looking mesh in pic2 - just saying

·
Registered
337 Posts

I just purchased one of these in chrome and by mentioning my membership (rswarrior) they knocked off $50.00, just a word to the wise when ordering.

·
Administrator
29,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

That was you?! He posted one: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/52181.aspx and told me they made one to show around. They posted here on RSW first come and you must be the guy who beat me! Yep they offered it for a $50 discount. Unfortunately I don't think you get $50 anymore except in a group buy or the exhaust buy but yea anyone who wants one should call and ask for $50 off!

bnpain said:
I just purchased one of these in chrome and by mentioning my membership (rswarrior) they knocked off $50.00, just a word to the wise when ordering.

How are you guys doing? LOL yes I agree I need to get busy. The coils arrived today, and I pick up the wire kit this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion on going horizontal with the screen, I'm cutting screen both ways and deciding. I like the way some of the guys did the diamond shape and plus I want both the speedstar scoops to have diamond shape. Anyway the screen goes in this weekend one way or another so the goo can set. I'll install it onto the bike, snap pics, then pull it off again when I pull the tank to start dovetailing all kinds of cool stuff into the beast's innards (soon now!). In the meantime I think bnpain has his in his gallery?

tomba said:
Trick said:
would love to see this mounted. looks good!
#1 - as you've beenawol for a few days [that means less than 20 posts per day - i'm counting...] i'd at least have expected to see that ruddymesh saga installed? if not the beast wearing it's new shiny coat [ducks.. i'm just tooo quick for ya - lol] - so far so good my friend - looking forward to seeing the whole box of new kit fitted asap - ok ok so you wouldn't have anything to do in the long winter months [i hear you] but hey 'we' need you here
[as 'bruce' doesn't want it]

·
Administrator
29,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

I picked up some Mothers SynWax FX while over west of town today, its hard to find but a Schucks AutoSupply in McMinneville Oregon happened to have some on the shelf. The local stores on my side of town are out of stock. It comes highly recommended. We will see tomorrow!

·
Administrator
29,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I waxed the chrome cowling last night using the suggested Mothers FX SynWax and all I can say is WOW it pops! Wifey and I went for a ride up the mountain for lunch today and messed around for a few hours. This evening I did a little fastener mod so the cowling would be easier to install after I do an oil change, or other maintenance where the cowling might get damaged.

So far here's how it looks (see why I need to deep clean during winter mods!):

Test Fitting to Fasteners:

And the finished work:

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts

Just a heads up here from where i'm sitting

L&Mdesigned the fiberglass part for a Flat Head Fastener with the 2-countersunk holes.

Yoursmall ANSIflat washer is going to cut the chrome and fingerprint the part because of the small contact surface if it's residing within the countersunk hole. If that's the case you might considera couple of smalltapered spacer washers from nylon/aluminum etctofit in the hole and destribute the load evenly and protect it from cracking.
Yamaha uses compression limiters(bolt liners) to keep plastic (ABS)components from gettingcrushed when bolts are tightened as shown below for their cowl with a rubber grommet

·
Administrator
29,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

I ordered a few clear semi-pliable 'cushion washers' (I don't know material or the part nomenclature) used for similar purpose and will adhere one to each chrome flat washer as a moldable-pad. That should stop any marring of the finish chrome, however I question if its pliable enough to meld to the countersunk holes properly. I have two white nylon conical coned countersink washers that I may be able to invert into the countersunk holes to distribute load more evenly. Bolt liners would have to be perfect length to allow the chrome acorn nut to sit flush on the cowling hiding the under-fasteners and the hole, possibly just use grinder, but in that event would be a good solution, good catch.

The L&M instructions suggest using wire ties to fasten the lower-aftcowling to the bottom of the engine or frame. Since these ties would have to be cut every time the oil filter is changed (etc) I'm cutting a stainless bracket to support the TOP of the cowling from rotating aft. The top of the tail of the cowling against the frame keeps the top of the cowling from rotation forward. Earlier static testing showed good results even in the absense of frame mounting holes in the needed location. I like the solution better than cable ties because there will be only the two acorn nuts needed to be removed for maintenance underneath.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts

AlanH said:
Just a heads up here from where i'm sitting

L&Mdesigned the fiberglass part for a Flat Head Fastener with the 2-countersunk holes.

Yoursmall ANSIflat washer is going to cut the chrome and fingerprint the part because of the small contact surface if it's residing within the countersunk hole. If that's the case you might considera couple of smalltapered spacer washers from nylon/aluminum etctofit in the hole and destribute the load evenly and protect it from cracking.
Yamaha uses compression limiters(bolt liners) to keep plastic (ABS)components from gettingcrushed when bolts are tightened as shown below for their cowl with a rubber grommet

The reference to the Yamaha Lower Cowlmounting hardware was submitted for FYI & others who are interested and nothing more and wouldn't be desirable for the L&M. It's just an example of some good enginering in the aftermarket Yami part IMO.

ACE hardware has lots of plastic parts and even a nylon tapered faucet seat might work if drilled out. For something like this i would use my 3/8"-1/2" chuck electric drill as a lathe to taper the part with a file

If i couldn't chuck the washer i would use a screw and anut as a mandrel and mount the screw in the drill chuck if you get the picture!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts