RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Administrator
28,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Re: Chrome Low & Mean Cowling

As referenced in my post above, I might try these to invert intothe countersunk holes to distribute load more evenly, even though they are hollow and not made for the purpose, maybe I can find one that fits good enough.

Added 11-22-2008: I bought a selection of these but none fit well enough so I'm working on another solution. I admit I don't know if its necessary but it seems logical it will be very beneficial so I'm open to suggestions.

Added 9-12-11: Just an update, after several years iunstalled and having been removed and reinstalled countless times, the conical shapes are not needed. All I did was what is shown originally, I put the screws thru the frame with the threads forward, added the rubber washer than came with the L&M, then I put the cowling on, and put another looser rubber washer in front of the cowl, a small chrome washer on top of that rubber washer, then the chrome acorn nuts. I haven't used Loctite Blue 243 except once, its simply not needed. It turns out the cowling is not stressed at these holes, possibly because of the way I've supported the bottom/back of the cowling. It cannot rotate forward and backward, its fixed very well without having to tighten the chrome acorn nuts much beyond finger tight. I go finger tight, then use a short open-end wrench to tighten 1/4-turn, but this will vary depending on the thickness and diameter of the rubber washers used under the acorn nuts. The combination of the rubber washer under the cowling, and over the cowling, works great and as a nice side effect there is zero vibration noise.

·
Registered
337 Posts

That was you? He posted one: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/52181.aspxand told me they made one to show around. Theyposted here on RSW first come and you must be the guy who beat me! Yep they offered it for a $50 discount.Unfortunately I don't think you get $50 anymore except in a group buy or the exhaust buy but yea anyone who wants one should calland ask for $50 off!

bnpain:
I just purchased one of these in chrome and by mentioning my membership (rswarrior) they knocked off $50.00, just a word to the wise when ordering

No Az I didn't beat you out. I did read their post and wanted one from the gitgo. I just called in and mentioned my membership and they gave me the discount. Like you I opted for the chrome, didn't think I could match the flames as Yamaha only sells parts prepainted and will not sell the flame decals. Yours looks great can't wait for mine.
Also just read your post on the rubber washers for the countersunk holes looks good however I would also add those metal sleeves as Alan suggests

·
Administrator
28,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)

I had some time today to pattern the cowling openings and cut the mesh. After looking at both horizontal and diamond for awhile I went with the diamond. Its was a tough choice they both look really good.

I did a cardboard pattern and taped it onto the mesh, then flipped it over and cut it out with a Dremel in about three minutes. I was going to capture the edges but it hung together really well.

I messed with it for about two hours to get it formed. I wanted to try a one-piece grille covering all three openings. It took some time to clear the mounting bolt hole areas and leave space for the frame crossbar I'm hoping it worked out. Right now its siliconed and drying in a makeshift press. And by makeshift I mean rags and two cut boards plus cardboard and two woodworking clamps, and a couple soda pop 12-packs for weight. It looks stupid as **** but hopefully it will do the job!

I'm anxious to see how it turns out and I'm worried my lack of experience with this mod will haunt me by tomorrow. The odds everything went perfectly are remote, but it looked good when I shoved the glue to it. We will see.

·
Administrator
28,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)

Richard's (Redhorse) instructions for layout and the specific silicone adhesive are spot-on. His website is one of our finest treasures: http://home.roadrunner.com/~redhorse/quick_mods.htm

Thanksto everyone who helped me stay positive even when I couldn't get the grillwork I wanted. Maybe my buddy upstairs liked this combo better!

I'm a happy dude right now!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts

I'm glad you did chrome. I was wonderring what that would look like. You did an awesome job AZ!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts

Arizona Warrior said:
Richard's (Redhorse)instructions for layout and the specific silicone adhesiveare spot-on. His website is one of our finest treasures: http://home.roadrunner.com/~redhorse/quick_mods.htmThanksto everyone who helped me stay positive even when I couldn't get the grillwork I wanted. Maybe my buddy upstairs liked this combo better!

I'm a happy dude right now!
CTSV grill? Hummmmmm. Thanks for the idea! On my short list now. Junkyard lookout!

·
Registered
230 Posts

Looks good!!Do you have anymore pics iwould like to see the whole bike to judge it from a distance.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts

that looks great!! got me thinking of doing the same thing
as i've been wanting to paint my cowling and side covers, the chrome would hold up better than paint( i think???) but then i'm still painting the side covers which means the whole bikes getting painted

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts

For those interested, you can order the fairing scoop in 3 finishes:
1) semi-gloss (ready for paint)
2) glossy black finish
3) chrome finish

Great job, Mike. I might add this into my TODO list... It looks amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts

Mike, you got me hooked, I ordered my fairing and the honey comb screen today.

I got the semi-gloss black, so I can paint it to match the new scheme I plan to have it done by Washingtonwarrior.

I think it will look great, once everything done. I like a lot better this shape, compared to the Yami fairing.

What did you used to attach the bottom fairing to the frame, a tie-wrap or a custom bracket?

·
Administrator
28,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)

Sorry for the delay in answering. I'm fiddling with a low-profile channel-shaped stainless bracket affixed with the engine stay nut (link to graphic deleted) and cantilevering forward to support the tail end of the L&M. Ideally I want a rubber pad between the cowling, and to avoid having to bolt-unbolt underneath I'm looking for a little spring-pressure screw. I'll find it, I've seen what I want and know it exists. The rear carries no weight or moment so a quick slip-in support will work fine.

I'm also picking up a pre-drilled spring-steel finger about 5" long and slightly bent by nature. Not as sweet but just as functional. There's got to be a hundred ways to support the back end underneath so I'm not worried. Plus even unsupported it seems to sit just fine.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Arizona Warrior said:
This is the best I can do until the sun comes out. In a few weeks the S* scoops will have matching grilles!
Paranormal said:
Looks good!!Do you have anymore pics iwould like to see the whole bike to judge it from a distance.

Man, usually i dont like the chin scoops or what not because theres already so little room between the cradle and the front tire but that looks really good. Are those 6 degree trees?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts

Arizona Warrior said:
Sorry for the delay in answering. I'm fiddling with a low-profile channel-shaped stainless bracket affixed with theengine stay nut (see items 18 19 20 below)and cantilevering forward to supportthe tail end of the L&M. Ideally I want a rubber pad between the cowling, andto avoid having to bolt-unbolt underneath I'm looking for a little spring-pressure screw. I'll find it, I've seen what I want and know it exists. The rear carries no weight or moment soa quick slip-in support will work fine.

I'm also picking up a pre-drilled spring-steel finger about 5" long and slightly bent by nature. Not as sweet but just as functional. There's got to be a hundred ways to support the back end underneath so I'm not worried. Plus even unsupported it seems to sit just fine.
Great idea, Mike. I will use the same aproach. That should hold the fairing in place rock solid.

·
Administrator
28,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)

Funny you should mention that, I think its an optical illusion from the chrome L&M when looking at it from the front. Its stock but several guys have mentioned the look. From the side it still has some illusion but I notice its greatest from this angle.

Arcinfidel said:
Man, usually i dont like the chin scoops or what not because theres already so little room between the cradle and the front tire but that looks really good. Are those 6 degree trees?

·
Registered
926 Posts

Excellent AZ. I have left mine unattached on the underside. I dont think its a problem but I'm gonna try your mod anyway. Like you said, its simple and secure.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts