RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my bike back this morning from Phat Performance after they finished installing my new Legend Forward Controls. They don't normally do the installation but since this was the prototype, they did it to make sure everything fit like it should. Let me say the quality on these controls are top notch. Absolutely beautiful finish all the way around. The photos I took real quick at work really don't do them justice. They definitely kick your feet further out and provide a very comfortable riding position. These controls also get rid of the problem of the rear mount for the rear brake cyclinder. It is all a nice neat setup up front on the right control assembly. Matt at Phat Performance was great! He did everything he promised he would and did it in the time frame he said he would. Nowadays that seems rare. Anyway very happy with the product and Phat Performance. I've posted photos in the gallery and will update those with better quality ones later.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess 4-6 inches further out. When I get home tonight from work, I'll compare on my wife's Warrior. She is getting floor boards mounted this weekend, but still has the stock mounts on now.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Moto, Details man, details. There are about a thousand of us that are lookin for the lowdown. Phat is pretty weak with their stats on the foot positioning. I'm gonna send my chick over in her bikini, you take her pic on your old lady's bike, then on yours with the new controls and then we'll get an idea of the positioning.

Tim

·
Registered
145 Posts
Motoenthusiast

Thanks for the props and thanks again for lending us your bike! We had a blast running up and down the 405 last night with it! LOL, just kidding!!! /emoticons/emotion-5.gif

In all seriousness, the controls do look immensely better than the photo's suggest. We design the controls to fit riders between 5' 10" and 6' since that's the average height in America. We took some measurements last night and if I remember correctly it moves the pegs forward roughly 4 to 4.5" and keeps them roughly the same height. I measured from the stock shift rod tab at the transmission/clutch area to the center of the stock peg, if I remember correctly it was 11 or 11.5". After the controls were mounted it was roughly 15 or 15.5". Here's some side shots that should help determine the positioning as well.

[url="http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/forumpics/Warriorside1.jpg>http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/forumpics/Warriorside1.jpg

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Timmymorg that will work. Give me advance notice so I can send DirtyGirl to the store. OK, I just went out with a tape measure and the Legend foot peg is almost exactly 6 inches further out than the stock pegs on DirtyGirls Warrior. They are at the same height as stock.
They are cut out of 1/2 inch thick aluminum billet for the mounting plate and then chromed. I saw the machine at Legends that cuts these out. Nothing is touched by human hands once they set the hunk of aluminum billet in the computerized machine. Awesome setup and Rick at Legends was a super nice guy. He took me on a tour of the facility and showed me everything they do. Very Cool.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phat Performance probably got a more accurate measurement than I did. You know how guys measure six inches anyway.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Glad to see all the positive feedback about these forward controls. I placed my long awaited order yesterday, and at 6'2" they can't get here fast enough.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Any chance of having controls made up for us shorter guys (5'8") I am not so sure I will fit if the pegs are 4-4.5" forward of the stock controls at the same height.
-peter

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They do look sweet on the bike! I don't think anything else I've done on the bike give it that finished "custom look" as these controls. My wife just put some floor boards on her Warrior and they are super comfortable but these Legend controls just LOOK awesome. I keep staring at them each time I park the bike.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Got my controls from Phat on Friday. Look great! I installed them to test fit on Saturday... no go. I'm 5'8" and they are just too much of a stretch. What makes them particularly unuseable is the stock left-side AIS scoop and I have the Thunder teardrop on the right-side. You just can't get to the shift/brake levers. Phat said they have a longer set of shift/brake pedals, but I just think I'm too short. I almost cried because they look so **** good. Then I really cried with I broke off the banjo bolt pressure switch in the master cylinder when tightening it.... what a #$%^& pain in the #%^. If Phat won't take them back, they'll be up for a discount sale here in a few days. I still need to get that banjo bolt out, but a replacement is only $20. What a nightmare...

Moral of the story... if you have side airbox/ais cover still on your bike, and your not well over 5'8", these controls may not be for you...B

P.S. Matt and Terry at Phat have been great through all of my tragedies...B.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bdogg,
This is my concern as well as I too am 5'8". I also have both my side panels permanetly removed but I am still hesitant to buy these controls as i feel that even with the side panels removed they will be too far forward(at 4-4.5" forward). I am thinking though of buying a set and then modifing the mounting spacer so that they will move forward perhaps about 2". I would try to do this by using a special spacer (to replace the spacer they provide.) The spacer could be designed to move the controls towards the rear though I suspect you may have to still modify the control's big aluminum plate. I do want billet controls though in the worst way so I HAVE to find a way to make it work.
-peter

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I will write a full review of these things in the next day or two, but here are my first impressions...

I installed them on Friday night/Saturday morning and rode 200+ miles on them so far.

1. I am 6'7" and they feel great! My legs are at a pretty good angle now as opposed to my knees being at a 90* angle. And if I want, I can rest my ankle on the pegs and dangle my feet with my legs straight! Wth the stock pegs I was worried about hitting my feet on the ground.
2. If you are 5'7" or less do not even think of getting them! My Girlfriend is 5'7" and she can barely keep her feet on them, nevermind shift of brake.
3. Matt at Phat Perf was cool. He handled everything I needed!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bdog,
D&D will do a custom version of their legends forward controls that will work for us 5'8" guys. See http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4234
-peter

1 - 18 of 18 Posts