RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would ya think there would be a problem if you cleaned your VBak filters, re oiled em but then they had to sit before they got air through them? For example, if you cleaned them as a winter project but couldnt ride very soon cause of snow.

I wouldnt think there would be any problems but hey....I f'd up a spark plug change! lol

Just wondering what the group would think, Esp you Woody. lol

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I wouldn't think there should be a problem. I remember a post where someone had two sets

of filters. They would rotatebetween them after cleaning a set.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,718 Posts
Before, when K&N shipped their filters, they would dry out sitting sometimes. Since they've packaged them in sealed plastic they are okay even if sitting in-stock someplace for awhile. If you clean them, you are better off drying them and storing them in a zip lock, then oiling the day before you swap filters. If the oil is bone-dead-dry it won't be tackyand so won't catch particles.

BJMartin said:
Would ya think there would be a problem if you cleaned your VBak filters, re oiled em but then they had to sit before they got air through them? For example, if you cleaned them as a winter project but couldnt ride very soon cause of snow.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, If I clean them and oil them like you normally would for the k&ns, there should be no problem if I didnt get to ride for say 2 weeks to a month?

·
Registered
670 Posts
2 weeks to a month won't be a problem. But if you let it sit from say October until April, the oil might dry out a bit. But it's really not that big of a deal. Even if you ran with completely dry filters it's not going to cause engine damage. But your still better off with freshly oiled filters.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
What keeps them from drying while we are using them between cleanings? How often should they be oiled?

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
After cleaning let the filters dry out.

Reoil & reinstall on the bike. You don't need any mice, bugs, mud dobbers etc making a home in your throttle bodies.

You are putting OIL on the filter media, it does not dry out.

Some K&N products come pre oiled. No way to know how long theproducthas been on the shelf.

If your working on the bike then store your cleaned & oiled filters in a zip lock bag. This is not to keep them from drying out its to keep them from collecting shop dust.

A once a year cleaning & oiling works well for the average bike mileage. If your in a dusty area service the filters as needed.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
Thanks woody, that is the way I had been thinking, but when someone mentioned something about the oil drying out it got me thinking.

Thanx again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts