RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share a few details of my recent experiences with Clear View Integrated Tail Lights. The saga starts when my bike starts blowing the lighting fuse - this fuse powers the lights, the speedo, tach., and neutral switch (maybe some other stuff too, the service manual is very descriptive). I disassembled the rear tail light to start my troubleshooting. I narrowed down the culprit by connectinga set of jumpers - positive and negative leads, with a fuse installed in the positive lead - I connected the jumpers to a 12 volt source, then to each of the cicuits in the tail light assembly. Turns out the tail light was the offender. I should have probably known that, b/c the the fuse blew on my bike each time I turned the ignition to theON position, before the breaks / signals were applied.

I took thelight back to the stealer that sold it too me. It was part of the "package" when i bought by bike new - 6 months and 5000 miles ago. Reluctanly, he gave me a new one. However, the sad story continues. Afterwiring up the new light, i found that the left side tail / brake lights don't work
. So now, I'm looking for another replacement. I'm sure i could shame the stealer into another replacement, but my experience with this brand of integrated light indicates that I'll probably just be replacing it again in a few months. Further, the lack of quality with this manufacurer is pretty well documented on this site. Until I find something new and better, I guess I'll be using hand signals

Not that I'm necessarily into bashing stealers - but i will also say that the original wiring job they performed was pathetic, no connectors, solder, etc. Just basically wrapped bare wires around each other and about 10 pounds of electrical tape. If there is a positive note to any of this, it's that i now have all the bike-side wires with proper crimp on connectors. Additionally, i made a few mods to my license plate and plate frame to better accommodate the license plate light wiring. When I figure out how to add pictures, I'll post those too.

There's no moral to this story, i just needed to vent to an understanding crowd. THANKS!

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1zfpo4j&s=4

I cut a notch in the license Plate to accomodate the wires for the license Plate Light wires.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2up4sc7&s=4

Here's the notch in the Frame to allow room for the wires

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Sorry to hear your problems with the Clearview Taillights. I read simular problems before on the forum. Personally, I like the stock taillight! It hasnt given me any problems. I too had to notch my licence plate when I installed a chrome LED licence plate from Phats Performance. The thing works great!!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I'm with Chris on this M.D. Wright is the only way to go

·
Administrator
30,093 Posts
Clear Alternatives has a history of stepping up to the late and providing a factory new light so you should call them. Their quality has dropped a lot in the last couple years from comments on this forum, but mine continues to work perfectly after about three years. I sometimes wish it were brighter. If I did it again today I would follow the advice of members here and go with MD Wright I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts