RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whew! I am feeling pretty lucky right about now. I am living in San Angelo, TX right now, and the roads are so slick that I swear they are polished. A truck pulled in front of me and stopped for a yellow light. The light JUST turned I slammed on my brakes, and the rear immediatly locked up. I haven't had my TPS recall done yet either, so my engine stalled. I was very luckly able to maneuver out of the way of the truck with the rear wheel locked up and ended up half way in the intersection. I must have missed that thing by inches. I thought I was going down for sure.

Anybody else have any close calls lately?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Not any lately, but a few months ago, i had a cager turn left in front of me... not much time to react, i think i needed diapers that day...

·
Registered
926 Posts
I was born in San Angelo!

Back to the topic. I havent had any close calls lately but I stay out of the rain, mostly because of the mess and how hard it is to clean the bike.

Most of time I am staring a cager right in the eyes when they try to get in my lane but that doesnt count as a close call since it should be expected.

Be careful out there.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
No close calls here (knocking on a great big enormous piece of extra hard wood.....). Either I am as careful as I think I am, or I've been very lucky, or a combination of both those. I commute to/from work regularly in Phoenix traffic. Intersections put me on edge every time I ride through one, because I'm just waiting for someone to do something silly. I honestly don't know how well I'm going to react in an emergency situation because I haven't truly tested it.

I need a bigger piece of wood. Gonna go find one.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Since it is still in the low 20s here, the only close call I have had was the other day, I miscalculated how far away the pisser was. ****, that was close.

Glad to hear you are OK though. Be safe.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
If you cant stay off the back brake take a hack saw and cut it off. That thing will get you killed.

·
Registered
590 Posts
i have had numerous close calls that i attribute to the rear brake and the rear wheel locking up, on the freeway in the rain, on streets where there has been gravel, etc. It just happened to me the other day when i hit the rear brake a little to hard on a street where they were doing road improvements and there was gravel or debris on the road. fortunately i haven't gone down.i feel like cutting it off too. but, then again, it is rider error if i hit the rear brake too hard. abs would be nice.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
JamesD said:
If you cant stay off the back brake take a hack saw and cut it off. That thing will get you killed.

+1. The VAST majority of motorcycle accidents I investigate involve riders using only the rear brake or way too much rear brake. Actually, the vast majority of motorcycle accidents period can be attributed to the rear brake.

·
Registered
727 Posts
madav8tr said:
JamesD said:

+1. The VAST majority of motorcycle accidents I investigate involve riders using only the rear brake or way too much rear brake. Actually, the vast majority of motorcycle accidents period can be attributed to the rear brake.

Hey Chuck - serious question, how do you detemine the rear brake to be at fault? I would guess there would be skid marks, but even the lightest pressure on the rear brake with a healthy dose of front brake (which would lighten the rear) would result in a skid. I can even get my Warrior to leave front tire skid marks, when practicing slowing as fast as I can type ofmanuvers...

Please don't think I am advocating rear brake braking only- just curious. I was recently reading the AMAmagazine (worthless for the most part) about motorcycle crashes and didn't recall seeing anything about braking as a cause- which is why I was asking. I have seen a lot of inexperienced riders on the sport bikes yank that front brake in a panic and flip themselves right over. We grew up riding in the dirt - so I have always been awareof brake modulation - not that it would make me immune from a crash mind you!

Have you tried any of the bikes with linked brakes - any thoughts on those?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
fastby250cc said:
Hey Chuck - serious question, how do you detemine the rear brake to be at fault?

Most of the time, if the rider is alive and able to answer questions, I simply ask them and they tell me. That said there are other ways to determine which brake was applied more heavily. An easy way to determine if the rear wheel locking up caused instability is by measuring the length of the skid. While you can lock the rear up while applying heavy front brake, if it stays locked up too long you lose the gyroscopic precession forces that help stabilize the bike and therefore the bike tends to go down. You will typically see rear wheel skid marks in a zig-zag pattern when this happens as the bike will yaw to either side before it goes down. Same thing happens when you lock the front wheel, it just happens quicker since the precession is more important on the front wheel and since the forks are moveable the bike won't yaw but the wheel will turn. You may be able to get you Warrior to leave front tire skid marks but you won't be able to get it leave long ones

fastby250cc said:
I was recently reading the AMAmagazine (worthless for the most part) about motorcycle crashes and didn't recall seeing anything about braking as a cause- which is why I was asking.
Improper braking is the leading cause of single vehicle motorcycle accidents and a contributing cause in the majority of accidents involving a bike and car. even if is sin't listed as an actual cause, studies have shown that even when the accident is considered "unavoidable" on the riders part, in a lot of instances better braking techniques could have reduced the severity of the impact. It's something that we have all witnessed or even experienced, the 1st reaction for a lot folks in an emergency situation is to press the rear brake pedal. Why? We are trained to do it cars and that sadly seems to carry over to bikes. Practicing emergency braking is the only to help retrain our minds.

fastby250cc said:
Have you tried any of the bikes with linked brakes - any thoughts on those?
Yeah, I owned a CBR 1100XX with linked brakes and I didn't care for them. Nothing particular bad about them but I feel that with practice, most riders can do a better job that a simple proportioning valve like the Hondas come with. ABS is a different story and it is one area where I feel the bikes computer can do better than us.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I'm glad your ok and hear to tell the story.I almost dumped mine in front of my house.Just got back together and had to take for a spin.Pulled out carefully over the cinders to where the roads clean, start going and hamer on it.The rear tire brakes loose and slides side to side.Cold roads and new tire,bad combo.I go up road and turn around and go home.

·
Administrator
29,683 Posts
+1 the back brake is not an emergency brake. If you havn'e taken the local motorcycle rider's course, jump in the water is fine. You get to practice heavy-swerving done right. I wasn't there but it sounds like you might have been more controlled to push hard left to swerve left then immediately push hard right to go right (back to straight) and stand thebike up again, and the moment you are vertical grab a handful of front brake and go low in the saddle. Or maybe you did the best thing
only you know for sure!

I'm glad you reacted, cleared the truck, and saved your chrome!

JamesD said:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Glad you came through it. No close calls lately, but it's been cage season here since Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JamesD said:

I have taken the MSF course, they tought me to use both brakes. I use both brakes all the time. I am used to the rear wheel spinning, it happens all the time when I twist the throttle. I guess I have to re-think my braking policy with the slick (polished) roads out here. I just know that once the rear wheel is locked up, you need to keep it locked up until the bike stops, but you MUST also stay off the front brake at that time.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Not trying to be an A-hole like normal but.

You should retake the MSF at an alternate location.

No way they should teach someone to try and use the rear brake in an emergency situation. Most people don't have the kind of control it takes in a panic stop to keep from locking it. No way you should NOT use the front brake. At some point they told you that the greatest majority of the stopping power you bike has comes from the front brake. Some will teach you not to release the rear brake once it is locked because if the bike is out of shape you will high side. Sometimes this is true but I wouldn't use never in this situation.

We average 3 deaths a year at Deal's Gap and almost all of them have one thing in common. A really long skid mark which can only be caused be too much rear and not enough front brake. If you lock the front it will tuck and you will go down, it does not leave a long skid mark. It isn't possible.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
The only times I have locked up the rear brake are when I am going to fast into a situation requiring braking, it was my fault for not starting the braking soon enough. I always use rear and front brake when riding around town. When I don't ride like an idiot, I have no problems. When I do ride like an idiot, I have been lucky.

As far as situations beyond control, you will react as you were trained. I took the 3 day MSFcourse at HD back in 2005 and I had no motorcycleexperience before that, it is a great class.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
lowriderdog37 said:
I just know that once the rear wheel is locked up, you need to keep it locked up until the bike stops, but you MUST also stay off the front brake at that time.

Man, someone is giving you HORRIBLE advice and following it will get you hurt one day. Been through the MSF basic course, the ERC(twice), 2 police motor officer schools and countless roadrace schools and if I overheard an instructor tell students to do that, I would punch him in the mouth. A motorcycle stops more efficiently when both brakes are used properly but the issue is that most people don't use both brakes properly. Most people lock the rear wheel and hope for the best for some reason. I agree with James, I think the majority of riders would be better served if the rear bake pedal was removed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts