RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's finally happened!

I spent all day on the beast and as I was heading home, the clutch lever went limp in my hand and the bike started to buck underneath me, as I was trying to come to a stop at a red light. I realized what had happened, and quickly kicked the bike into neutral and let it coast out of the way of traffic onto the shoulder. Luc was kind enough to run home and grab his truck and help me transport the bike, safely, to my house, and now I'm going to start looking up clutch cables and what-not.

Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
30,408 Posts
That's a mark of a fast thinking experienced rider (plus dumb luck!!) LOL
I'm glad it worked out okay!

Barnett is the only cable stronger and smoother it lasts forever. Check for your 2002 model year here:

http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/cables.aspx?harley=&cruiser=Yamaha&model=&vintage=&misc=

It comes braided stainless or black, both versions have the same internal liner.

No matter what cable you have, remember to WD40 the two lugs at both ends of the cable, at the lever and at the gearbox, when you change oil andafter each bike wash. Its the ends that cause the troubles and makes the pull feel heavier in your fingers too.

If you don't already have a Barnett SR-2 clutch spring kit, this is a good time to get one!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why does tomorrow have to be sunday?!?!?

I have a feeling no one will have the Barnett in stock, so hopefully I'll be able to get a set by mid-week. Maybe this is a good excuse to finally put the SS front brake line on the bike, too? HMMMM!!!

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Barnett take two weeks to make one for you but someone may have a stock length one in stock.

If it broke right at the end you have enough slack in the cable to fabricate a new end. Just go to your local hardware store and pick up a wireferrule. It's like a small thick washer made of fairly soft material. The Ace Hardware up at Estes Park in the Rockies had some for me when mine broke also coasting up to a red light! Put the wire through the ferrule and gently close the ferrule around the wire trying to keep its round shape. We used two rocks to do thisand it lasted a few days!!! Since you're home, you can use a hammer:} They're very cheap so I'd buy several and take a couple with you on your next rides until you new clutch cable arrives.

My well lubed Barnett cable finally broke after about 15000 miles while we were in the Smoky Mountains and I was back on the road in a few minutes with Fraggle1'sold stockcable he had lent me for the trip! The stock, but ugly, cable pulls much easier than even the Barnetts but is much cheaper. Like AZ says above, keep it lubed and it'll last for you...........hmmmm that doesn't sound right, sorry:}

Good luck and tell us how it went:}

·
Premium Member
8,929 Posts
Shawnzilla said:
..... I have a feeling no one will have the Barnett in stock, so hopefully I'll be able to get a set by mid-week. Maybe this is a good excuse to finally put the SS front brake line on the bike, too? HMMMM!!!
Looks like you're running a stock length cable in your gallery
should be able to pick up a new cable w/o a problem.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
How much do those "High Efficiency" cables cost? If it is an easy replacement and th cost isnt to high, why not just do it anyway?

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
The last clutch cable I broke, I was stuck at a car lot, took me 4 hours to convince the sales man that I wasn't going to by a car from him. Fortunatly I had the stock cable at home and a friend came and got me so I could pick it up. Yes it was a Barnett that broke, the cable streched and wore out and frayed away. When I go on road trips, I always carry a spare.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fcwarrior said:
Barnett take two weeks to make one for you but someone may have a stock length one in stock.  

I had no idea that they custom make those per order - that's kind of cool! My bike is pushing 16k miles, right now, and the cable that broke is the original piece that came from the factory, so that's pretty impressive to me. If I end up having a hard time (patience is a virtue, my a$$) waiting for a custom one, I may end up opting for one from Yamaha.

Going to call a dealer that is open today and ask the bored parts guy if he/she knows anything - at all.

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts
Has anybody got more miles than 15,000 on the barnett cable.The reason I asked is because my stock cable has 27,000 on it plus if it is easier to pull than the barnett, I don't understand the change.I have not oiled or sprayed anything on my cables since brand new. The bike is kept in a garage. Every time I wash it I completely blow it dry. Am I just lucky with the stock ones. I'm also thinking about going with the stock belt,because it seems to last longer.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
I have 22k on my stock cable and it seems as good as new. I oil it annualy by using a sandwich bag with about a teaspoon of new motor oil in it. I cut a small hole in the bag. Insert the cable (lever end,) through the hole in the bag. Secure the bag to the cable with electrical tape.Add the oil and leave it overnight. It will seep oil through the entire length of the cable. I got this idea from a Kawasake shop manual.

I also have spare stock cable rolled up and stored under my seat. Been there for 2 years now.

One last thought. When installing or adjusting a cable always make sure the adjuster on the lever has the groove turned toward the front of the bike. If the cable rides in the slot it will wear and break very quickly.

·
Premium Member
8,929 Posts
Reddog said:
Has anybody got more miles than 15,000 on the barnett cable.The reason I asked is because my stock cable has 27,000 on it plus if it is easier to pull than the barnett, I don't understand the change.I have not oiled or sprayed anything on my cables since brand new. The bike is kept in a garage. Every time I wash it I completely blow it dry. Am I just lucky with the stock ones. I'm also thinking about going with the stock belt,because it seems to last longer.
... back in Aug '08'
Here's a thread: http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/115821/940859.aspx#940859

I don't remember the difference in cost, if there is one but it's definitely a better engineered product and won't stretch once adjusted. Their newHigh Efficiency clutch cablesfeature a nylon coated inner wire andare better yet IMO! Here's a couple of photos of the Barrel & swaged ends after 22,000 miles
Just like new... no deformation or twisting

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You guys must be having better luck than me. My bike has less than 9k on it and I'm on my third cable (stage 4 clutch and springs). 1 OEM and 1 Yammi SS. They both broke at the lever. Because of my new front end I now have to get a longer cable. Has anyone had any luck with custom cables from Phats or should I look elsewhere.

P.S. If any one has a SS one that's longer than the OEM and wants to trade for a Yammi SS (stock length) that has less than 100 miles on it PM me.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
That's a mark of a fast thinking experienced rider (plus dumb luck!!) LOL  
I'm glad it worked out okay!

Barnett is the only cable stronger and smoother it lasts forever.  Check for your 2002 model year here:

http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/cables.aspx?harley=&cruiser=Yamaha&model=&vintage=&misc=

It comes braided stainless or black, both versions have the same internal liner.

No matter what cable you have, remember to WD40 the two lugs at both ends of the cable, at the lever and at the gearbox, when you change oil and after each bike wash.  Its the ends that cause the troubles and makes the pull feel heavier in your fingers too.

If you don't already have a Barnett SR-2 clutch spring kit, this is a good time to get one!

Thanks Arizona for the helpful info on lubrication of the cable at every oil change and washing of the bike. I do have the cable lube kit, but havn't even used it on the warrior yet. I have used a similar kit on former bikes i've owned in the past. This is one of those definite "must do's" for extended life and ease of use for the clutch cable.

·
Premium Member
8,929 Posts
RF_WIZ said:
You guys must be having better luck than me. My bike has less than 9k on it and I'm on my third cable (stage 4 clutch and springs). 1 OEM and 1 Yammi SS. They both broke at the lever. Because of my new front end I now have to get a longer cable. Has anyone had any luck with custom cables from Phats or should I look elsewhere.

P.S. If any one has a SS one that's longer than the OEM and wants to trade for a Yammi SS (stock length) that has less than 100 miles on it PM me.
Based on your current gallery photos your clutch cable is way to long

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Of course, now that I'm out of the bike business, all **** bike shops are closed on sunday. Bastards. I'll just watch football and drink beer, instead! See if I care!

Gonna see what kind of availability difference might be between the two different options - since I'm fresh out of patience, it may be my way of deciding which one I buy.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
AlanH said:
Based on your current gallery photos your clutch cable is way to long
Alan, are you refering to this picture? Why 2" extra would affect the performance of a Barnett cable?
I ask this because I plan to get an extra 2" on my cables, just to make them arch better and not be so tight...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I actually just had to replace mine on Friday. One dealer around here had it in stock. At least I was able to tell it was about to go Thursday night. Went out and realized the lever just wasn't right. Looked and saw the fraying at the lever ferrule. It was able to last to get it home again.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
a while back i oiled my yamaha ss cable with motor oil using the taped bag method as mentioned earlier and shortly afterward i noticed how the sheathing turned an amber color probably due to the motor oil( and yes, it was clean oil
) i've since installed a barnett ss cable and have 2 stock cables as back ups as well as a stock belt, better to have more than you need than to need more then you have

1 - 20 of 25 Posts