RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have more clutch problems. For some reason i can’t put my bike in neutral and it does a bad like hit noise when I try and put it in second gear from first when rolling. When I try to to put it in neutral from first gear I can’t when I try and put it in neutral from down from second gear I can’t. it skips neutral from first to second and from second to first vice versa. When I’m at a full stop I definitely can’t put it in neutral so I had to just hold my clutch in and leave it in first. I adjusted my clutch cable all the way out and it still does that. My set up is stock clutch cable and a Barnett pressure plate. I used to run it with the 2 plate mod aswell but I changed it back to stock about a months ago. Everything was working fine till yesterday. Thanks for u guys help in advance and for even taking the time to read this long ol message😂

·
Registered
463 Posts
When you set up bpp(barnett)? Have you made photo of bpp before install? If it has red detail in its bearing - check the bpp. If not - check other.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,720 Posts
Not being at the bike to observe, it's guesswork.

My first guess is (because it's easiest) the clutch pack is possibly sticking together. Maybe from sitting too long. Or maybe from installing the wrong motor oil. Ride the bike until it's all the way hot. Put the bike in first or second gear, motor off, hold clutch lever in, roll the bike then dump the clutch to shock the clutch fibers. This is probably not the trouble but do it anyway just to take it off the list. Don't dump your bike over.

My second guess is the stock clutch cable needs to be uninstalled then reinstalled from scratch. Be sure it's routed correctly. Inspect and lube both ends. Observe the little spring down at the motor-end lever attachment point, and also make sure that same motor-end lever is set to the correct angle on its spline shaft into the motor case (see manual for angle illustrations). When physically reinstalling the clutch cable, make the first fit-adjustment using the center adjustment. Then fine-adjust using the handlebar adjuster. Leave only a gap as thick as a credit card at the handlebar lever.

My third guess is the Barnett pressure plate bolts were inadequately torqued, and/or those bolt heads are not all fully positioned on the flat area of the face of the pressure plate.

If none of these fix it, then it's very possible it's an internal trouble. But internal troubles like this don't usually appear suddenly when the bike is behaving fine then suddenly its not fine.

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
@I need help ... My 2 cents follows:
If the issue is ONLY when the engine is Hot then it's the clutch cable adjustment 😏

When the motor heats up the Clutch Pack expands and the cable becomes loosie goosie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It only happened when the bike got hot when it was off or when I first turned it on cold everything worked fine.
@I need help ... My 2 cents follows:
If the issue is ONLY when the engine is Hot then it's the clutch cable adjustment 😏

When the motor heats up the Clutch Pack expands and the cable becomes loosie goosie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
appreciate the help in advance. U say maybe the engine oil isn’t correct what do u recommended I run ? Right now I’m running yammalube 20w-50. I’ve never tried that thing u said about shocking the flute plate I will try it today after work. And perfect I’ll re adjust it step by step as u said again. I had done it when. I installed the Barnett pp but I’ll still redo it again. And I took the clutch apart 3 times before and all 3 times the bolts were sitting flat on the springs toqued to the ft lb that’s said to torque them to on the Barnett instruction paper that comes with the Barnett pp. and u are correct it did kind of happen out of nowhere but I will say I was dogging my bike a bit the day it started acting up. But not to the point where something could mess up. I’ve dogged the bike more before and everything was always working fine.
Not being at the bike to observe, it's guesswork.

My first guess is (because it's easiest) the clutch pack is possibly sticking together. Maybe from sitting too long. Or maybe from installing the wrong motor oil. Ride the bike until it's all the way hot. Put the bike in first or second gear, motor off, hold clutch lever in, roll the bike then dump the clutch to shock the clutch fibers. This is probably not the trouble but do it anyway just to take it off the list. Don't dump your bike over.

My second guess is the stock clutch cable needs to be uninstalled then reinstalled from scratch. Be sure it's routed correctly. Inspect and lube both ends. Observe the little spring down at the motor-end lever attachment point, and also make sure that same motor-end lever is set to the correct angle on its spline shaft into the motor case (see manual for angle illustrations). When physically reinstalling the clutch cable, make the first fit-adjustment using the center adjustment. Then fine-adjust using the handlebar adjuster. Leave only a gap as thick as a credit card at the handlebar lever.

My third guess is the Barnett pressure plate bolts were inadequately torqued, and/or those bolt heads are not all fully positioned on the flat area of the face of the pressure plate.

If none of these fix it, then it's very possible it's an internal trouble. But internal troubles like this don't usually appear suddenly when the bike is behaving fine then suddenly its not fine.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,720 Posts
Yamalube is fine. Since it sounds like the bike is ridden frequently you do NOT need to shock the clutch pack. Also, since you know how to correctly install the clutch pack and Barnett plate you have taken all those things off the table. Concentrate on all the steps in my second guess covering the clutch cable and its route and its connection points etc.

You might find one end of the cable is frayed. If yes then the case lever's angle (where the cable connects to the motor) is even more suspect. The manual is your friend.

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
@I need help ... this might be of interest.

Clutch Component Dynamics 101
  • Item 5 & Item 32 are both listed as PUSH components in the Yamaha Parts Fiche but in the Real World are PULL components as is the Clutch Cable
  • The clutch cable PULLS the Lever 5 CCW which in turn rotates the shaft 7 causing the small pinion near the end to rotate CCW translating the rotary motion to a Linear movement thru the rack gear machined on one face of Item 32 which in turn PULLS against the pressure plate Item 25 via the Bearing Item 30relaxing the clutch plates for shifting.
    • When the engine oil heats up the clutch pack and basket assy also expands and that explains why the clutch cable becomes loosie goosie especially if slipping your clutch while doing a burnout

___
You'll want to adjust the clutch cable when the engine is cold.
Here's some pointers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts