RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'09 Midnight Warrior - (yes it was the last one - flew out to Ohio for it)

+/- 19,000 miles

Started shifting incredibly hard. Wants to go past neutral. 1st to 2nd. 2nd to 1st. And a ton of play in clutch lever all of the sudden. Play worsening as shifting worsened. I adjusted the clutch cable and took most of the play out. Shifts a lot easier(not perfect but improved. But still wants to go straight through neutral. Also, at a stop, in 1st with clutch pulled in it still wants to walk forward on me.

I plan to rebuild the clutch and do the 3 plate mod along with Barnett's clutch spring conversion kit. And a new clutch cable.

However. I know these are known for transmission failures. I don't want to mod the clutch and then find out it was the transmission all along.

1) Has anyone encountered these same "symptoms"?

2) Any diagnostic/troubleshooting advice?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,506 Posts
Not likely a clutch problem so much as a cable problem. All known transmission issues were on the early models so an ‘09 shouldn’t be affected.

Inspect your clutch cable at both ends as well as the sheath or jacket at the bracket mount on the business end. We’ve seen a couple of cables where the sheath started to buckle. My hunch is that’s where your problem is.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Check the clutch lever return spring hasnt broken. Its at the engine end of the cable. There is a small chrome lever that the bottom of the cable connects to. Under the small chrome lever there is a spring that breaks. Check this as I had a similar problem in the past and the spring was broken. Replaced spring and
adjusted cable, job done. Hope this helps. Frec 🇬🇧

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,870 Posts
These Beasts are not known to have transmission troubles. Yes, it's possible to do damage by constantly shifting badly but that would display a range of symptoms that would often be hard to misinterpret. These motors and transmissions and middle drives have proven to be hearty strong and in fact many here call it nearly Bulletproof.

I agree with those here who suspect your clutch cable, it should be removed and inspected end to end including the spring Frec mentioned.

The cable should have a center adjusting point that is used to take up most cable slack first. Then the handlebar lever end is adjusted to fine tune. Be aware of whether the motor is fully warm or cold, techniques vary but if you understand that a hot motor means a hot cable connection on the motor end then you can compensate and learn to find the sweet spot.

Not being there at the bike, its always possible the clutch assembly needs attention. That would be second in line. But from your description, which does NOT mention any recent repair or modification, it seems remote it has failed.

The 'tell' on this one is you are not missing any drive gears and the bike wants to walk in gear even with the clutch lever fully pulled at a stop.

Get the free e-copy of the service manual with both supplements. There is a link in Documentation forum's manuals section. Completely remove the cable and inspect, then set-up and reinstall or replace if needed with identical mid-cable adjuster design. Your answer is 99% certainly there.

Cable adjustment is an art. It's cool to learn.

Occasionally WD40 the sockets at both ends.

Lots of great help in the manual. Dig in. You will learn things that will serve you well the rest of your life. Seriously!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not likely a clutch problem so much as a cable problem. All known transmission issues were on the early models so an ‘09 shouldn’t be affected.

Inspect your clutch cable at both ends as well as the sheath or jacket at the bracket mount on the business end. We’ve seen a couple of cables where the sheath started to buckle. My hunch is that’s where your problem is.
Thanks for the info and the quick response. Been out of town for a few days. Ordered just the cable first and holding off on the mod for now. Loved hearing your thoughts that it's the early models. My buddy's failure was on his '04 with roughly 14k miles. Happened years ago. It was then that his mechanic told him these are known for that. Love hearing Arizona's thoughts about it being highly unlikely/bulletproof, etc. Thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the clutch lever return spring hasnt broken. Its at the engine end of the cable. There is a small chrome lever that the bottom of the cable connects to. Under the small chrome lever there is a spring that breaks. Check this as I had a similar problem in the past and the spring was broken. Replaced spring and
adjusted cable, job done. Hope this helps. Frec 🇬🇧
Just got back in town. Thanks for the quick response. The spring seemed in tact. Gonna throw a new cable on it and hold off on the mod for now. Very reassuring all of your posts. Appreciate all of you guys

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These Beasts are not known to have transmission troubles. Yes, it's possible to do damage by constantly shifting badly but that would display a range of symptoms that would often be hard to misinterpret. These motors and transmissions and middle drives have proven to be hearty strong and in fact many here call it nearly Bulletproof.

I agree with those here who suspect your clutch cable, it should be removed and inspected end to end including the spring Frec mentioned.

The cable should have a center adjusting point that is used to take up most cable slack first. Then the handlebar lever end is adjusted to fine tune. Be aware of whether the motor is fully warm or cold, techniques vary but if you understand that a hot motor means a hot cable connection on the motor end then you can compensate and learn to find the sweet spot.

Not being there at the bike, its always possible the clutch assembly needs attention. That would be second in line. But from your description, which does NOT mention any recent repair or modification, it seems remote it has failed.

The 'tell' on this one is you are not missing any drive gears and the bike wants to walk in gear even with the clutch lever fully pulled at a stop.

Get the free e-copy of the service manual with both supplements. There is a link in Documentation forum's manuals section. Completely remove the cable and inspect, then set-up and reinstall or replace if needed with identical mid-cable adjuster design. Your answer is 99% certainly there.

Cable adjustment is an art. It's cool to learn.

Occasionally WD40 the sockets at both ends.

Lots of great help in the manual. Dig in. You will learn things that will serve you well the rest of your life. Seriously!
Lots of great info. Thank you! Really appreciate it. Gonna slap a new cable on first before I even worry about a clutch mod. Save a couple bucks for now. Very reassuring too your thoughts on the reliability or bulletproof transmissions. Agree with the tell you mentioned too. Many thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts