RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone contemplating replacing their clutch plates should read the May 2008 Motorcycle Cruiser SHOP TALK HOW-TO Clutch Replacement article starting on page 82!
Edited: CPS Recall & Barnett SR-2 Pressure Plate - a set on Flickr

Their articles on the WEB appearto have some type of roaming IP address, so the url's don't work

The enclosed jpeg photos and information is taken from an earlier article on their site but is essentially the same info!

Here's a really good pointer IMO that's not in the shop Manual!

The steel plates are usually made of stamped metal, with one rounded edge and one sharp edge. Some mechanics say to make sure the steel plates are installed with the sharp edge facing the pressure plate, or excessive outer hub wear may result.
Barnett says it doesn't matter if the sharp edges face in or out, but all of the steel plates must be installed facing the same way.

·
Premium Member
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Clutch plate replacement pointers - Pull Lever Adjustment

The following is not to beconsidered boiler plate but has proved beneficial for my '04' bike with the SS Barnettcable

I found that the factory 1.23 inch dimension to vary between 1.125 - 1.375 inch on my bike over the years. The difference being 1-spline or tooth on the clutch pull shaft lever. If you run to the minimum dimension, such as 1.125", the pull lever spring is under more tension/pre-load and will help alleviate or reduce the sloppy lazyclutch lever if the cable is lubricated properly.

By going to the smaller dimension requires correcting the additional cable slack at the middle adjuster or at the clutch lever. If and when the clutch pack wearsthe lever can always bemoved back 1-tooth.

NOTE: Adjustments to be done with engine cold

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts