RS Warrior Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,738 Posts
Yes. It's undocumented.

Start with the charger unplugged from the wall. Connect the wiring between the battery and the charger. Then connect the wiring between the charger and the wall-plug (plug into wall power last). The charger will do its thing.

I've had mine for years. I do this when I put it to bed for winter every year. The charger will run its battery recovery steps without having to mess with the charger buttons. That conditions the battery before putting it into store mode.

·
Registered
2002 Roadstar Warrior 1700
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So this is taken right out of the user manual
For the charger. “Note- If a button is not pressed within 30 seconds the charger will power down”. So if i do the steps as you say charger turns itself off if no input (button press) is received after plugged in and turned on. Charger model BMS01. Now it does mention battery diagnostic on in “charge mode”. Here’s what it says “Charge Mode - The BMS01 charge mode charges at 2A peak rate, while balancing the internal LFX cells and performing battery diagnostics. Charge completion will typically occur within 30 minutes to 4 hours, depending on the size and state of the battery at charge start. When the battery voltage reaches ~14.4V the charging process is complete and the BMS01 unit will beep several times, the light will turn solid green, and then power off within 30 seconds. Important- after charging is complete disconnect the charger from the battery to help maintain a high state of charge.”.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,738 Posts
If that actually shuts off when you do it like I do it with mine then Shorai has made a change to the charger software without changing the part number. Only you can test this. You would need to manually put it in store mode when the green light appears. That doesn't make sense but you can accept it or you can simply test it.

I originally got the tip from Shorai at a mc event shortly before buying. The first time I watched to learn, and in all these years every time it works. If it does not work on yours then you should report it here, and you will have to mess with buttons or you'll just not be able to use the feature without messing with buttons.

Heck, you're spending more time typing than it would have taken to try it, and I for one am interested to know if the software has changed for some incomprehensible reason!

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,738 Posts
I connected mine to my bike 4 minutes ago and it has NOT shut off. I expect it will begin its program shortly like it always does.

I pulled-out my instruction sheet which hangs in plastic on the wall near the charger. And I downloaded the current instructions off Shorai and I see they now have the language you mention (in red). That language does not appear on mine (see both attachments). But you should test in the connection order I suggested and report back here too. The undocumented feature might still exist, although from the added wording they may have capped it for some strange reason. That would be astounding. Test it out on yours. Nothing to loose. It either shuts off or it sits with both red and green lights illuminated for some time, like mine, then it goes into which ever mode it finds is needed but either way it ends up in store mode with no button pushing at all. It's undocumented, and I have used it for years.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I tried briefly this morning. Appears to not shut off. Only had a couple minutes before work. Both solid yellow and green light. Plugged in it beeped, after a few seconds it beeped again and both lights stayed on. After work today i’ll plug it in and leave it that way for a solid time period

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So I’m home from work so I’ll try the charger box out and see if it is any different. One theory I’m also testing is maybe I’m not leaving the electronics on the bike on long enough before I hit the starter giving the computer time to boot up. I used to turn the key, flip the engine switch and immediately crank the bike. The last two times I turn the key on waited five seconds, turn the engine switch on, waited five seconds and then I hit the starter. I’ve had two successful starts with this method within 1-2 cranks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I connected mine to my bike 4 minutes ago and it has NOT shut off. I expect it will begin its program shortly like it always does.

I pulled-out my instruction sheet which hangs in plastic on the wall near the charger. And I downloaded the current instructions off Shorai and I see they now have the language you mention (in red). That language does not appear on mine (see both attachments). But you should test in the connection order I suggested and report back here too. The undocumented feature might still exist, although from the added wording they may have capped it for some strange reason. That would be astounding. Test it out on yours. Nothing to loose. It either shuts off or it sits with both red and green lights illuminated for some time, like mine, then it goes into which ever mode it finds is needed but either way it ends up in store mode with no button pushing at all. It's undocumented, and I have used it for years.

View attachment 254352
So i tried mine out. Let it sit for 10 minutes just plugged in without pushing buttons. It just stays with both yellow(store) and green(charge) lights illuminated. Had to leave the house for some errands so I unplugged it. Side note, i read out stator and its reading good, and im getting 14.1V at idle. I did blow out(with air) my tank vent lines and got a little crud out of them. Checked my power commander connectors. Nothing was loose. So far 6 successful starts with the delay ignition procedure

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Well after about 45 minutes of arguing I got the bike shop to swap out the battery for a new one. Storekeeper swears up and down there’s nothing wrong with the battery but I got them to exchange it anyway. Kept saying it has to be the bike causing the starting issues. Going to charge it up today and see how it goes. Bike started to stumble again earlier today while starting

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
With new battery fully charged and installed I let the bike sit for two days before I tried to start it to see if it would bleed off. Just took it for 150 mile ride today. Multiple start and stop points. Bike starts up very easily. Shocker…But the storekeeper kept swearing up and down the other battery was just fine. I’ll continue to monitor and report back

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Well im at a loss on this. It’s frustrating. Slow crank, clock reset, and multiple attempts to start this morning. Connections are good, stator voltage is good, voltage at battery at idle is 14.1-14.2, all fuses check good for continuity, been through 2 new batteries, decompression solenoid. Could the actual starter be the problem? When it does stutter i can watch the voltage on the battery drop to about 6-7 volts like it’s pulling too much power

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Question, when starting the bike or charging see if the wiring pos/neg get hot to the touch.
I have found when working on older cars & machinery that wiring can rot/corrode from the inside out so from the outside it looks great but the inside is trashed. I replaced my positive and negative wires to a much heavier 2 gauge wire I had laying around here at work. Look at this company who makes a kit to help you visualize the wiring and they have a couple of videos to help out as well

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,738 Posts
+1. If the starter has internal troubles it seems possible the symptoms might appear. Also when you have it open check the magnets are still adhered inside the starter's case. These are not as common, but its where the path has steered things. Remind me, did you measure for parasitic battery drain?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
+1. If the starter has internal troubles it seems possible the symptoms might appear. Also when you have it open check the magnets are still adhered inside the starter's case. These are not as common, but its where the path has steered things. Remind me, did you measure for parasitic battery drain?
Yes. Battery is not draining. Read for Ma from
Battey ground to ground cable, with the pos+ still hooked up. Showed no amp draw. Its only sometimes drawing a bunch of power during start. Its intermittent or im getting lucky with some starts. Leaving for Alaska tomorrow for work for a couple weeks so it’ll be a little while before i can keep looking at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,738 Posts
Ok.

Where in AK?

I always liked Anchorage and surrounds, Fairbanks for the Pump House and North Pole, and both air bases (Elmendorf and Eilsen) plus the entire pacific coast and the chain, and Barrow except after October. The slope was hard work and boring. But watching the sikorskys flying on their nose towing floated-in loads across the ice was interesting. So was elk piss on the pipeline mount bolts, but that was somebody else's job lol.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Ok.

Where in AK?

I always liked Anchorage and surrounds, Fairbanks for the Pump House and North Pole, and both air bases (Elmendorf and Eilsen) plus the entire pacific coast and the chain, and Barrow except after October. The slope was hard work and boring. But watching the sikorskys flying on their nose towing floated-in loads across the ice was interesting. So was elk piss on the pipeline mount bolts, but that was somebody else's job lol.
I’ll be in Anchorage Alaska working out of the Air Force Base there. My units going up there for some training. I’ve never been before to Alaska so it’ll be a nice new adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,738 Posts
Are you flying commercial or military? I went flying tigers milk run but sometimes Alaska Airlines up the coast. Gotta see Sitka and Juneau and Ketchikan. Popcorn. Swinging-doors too.

While there, take pains to go see glaciers. The blue is incredible it never shows up on film only to the human eye. They will soon be gone so experience it while possible.

If you get to Eielson at fairbanks go bar hopping plus go to north pole and send your kids Santa letters. And if the pump house restaurant is still there, go.

Plus the mountains. Everywhere. Just go.

The skeeters are big as school busses bring Deet lol. Seriously. Buy a shirt. If you stay into October for the salmon run, the skeeters go away by about mid month. That's my favorite time. Post skeeter pre snow.

Grab the experience. Bring lots of socks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Are you flying commercial or military? I went flying tigers milk run but sometimes Alaska Airlines up the coast. Gotta see Sitka and Juneau and Ketchikan. Popcorn. Swinging-doors too.

While there, take pains to go see glaciers. The blue is incredible it never shows up on film only to the human eye. They will soon be gone so experience it while possible.

If you get to Eielson at fairbanks go bar hopping plus go to north pole and send your kids Santa letters. And if the pump house restaurant is still there, go.

Plus the mountains. Everywhere. Just go.

The skeeters are big as school busses bring Deet lol. Seriously. Buy a shirt. If you stay into October for the salmon run, the skeeters go away by about mid month. That's my favorite time. Post skeeter pre snow.

Grab the experience. Bring lots of socks.
It’s a military transport into Elmendorf. They want us to stay fairly Local so we’ll see how far we can get out and about. I do wanna explore and experience the different scenery

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,738 Posts
Well then head straight to the Captain Cook hotel, where I stayed most of the time . . . in days gone by. Staying there is probably not the same as it was. But go up to the lookout restaurant called the crows nest. That will give you a good view beyond town. I checked. It's still there. Dunno about access. Google their phone number and ask about access to crows nest restaurant and bar.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts