RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. i do not intend to provoke those professional marketing people who tell us to just buy the warrior, but i read a review from 2002 and i am disturbed by the message. i think the warrior looks nice; even the stock muffler intrigues me. please comment on the following -- "The Warrior earned very high marks in specific categories. When it came to rating power, handling, braking and appearance it scored all As and Bs (except for some Cs and Ds in the ground clearance and stability columns). The bike sucked in more everyday departments like comfort and practicality, though. It's like a gorgeous woman who looks good for a hot date, but doesn't cut it for coffee and the Sunday paper. Every time we look at this bike we're turned on...then we get a half-day down the road and want to turn around."

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I have had my Warrior for two and a half years and I have toured Scotland, been over to Europe quite a few times and attended rallies all over the UK. I have no problem with covering big miles and enjoying them also. I changed the seat to a Corbin Stinger as the stocker was not the best. If you want Goldwing comfort then get a Goldwing. If you want a great bike that you can go places, have fun and look cool on then get a Warrior.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Wow...that's the first time I heard any negative comments that bad on this bike....do you know what other bikes they were pinning the Warrior against? If they were comparing ground clearance and stablility between the Warrior and lets say a new Ducati or R1...then maybe our cornering clearance and the ability to flick it in would be substandard....but against other power cruisers the Warrior shines like no other. Comfort??? Who test drove it???? Fat Albert? I know the stock seat isn't the greatest...but it is nice. There's guys going on 1000+ mile trips on the stocker. And the seat height is great for anyone 5' 6" and taller. The taller you get, the more you want forward controls. Some things have gotten better since 2002, but most remains the same.

But.... "The bike sucked in more everyday departments like comfort and practicality, though. It's like a gorgeous woman who looks good for a hot date, but doesn't cut it for coffee and the Sunday paper. Every time we look at this bike we're turned on...then we get a half-day down the road and want to turn around."....Who the **** wrote this stuff??? Sounds like a manufacturing competitor paid off the evaluator.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have owned 10 different bikes in 4 year to include 3 customs I built, and ridden quite a few others. The warrior is one of if not the most comfortable bike I have saddled and this with the stock seat. Motorcycles are like shoes what fits one may or may not fit the other. I agree with Badger, you have to decide what you want and what fits you and your expectations. As for practicality you can't haul what you could on a dedicated curiser, but as for me I am willing to give that up for the looks, performance, style and comfort of the warrior.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
i agree on the seat, the stocker is just not comfortable for anything but around town cruising and if going more than say 30 or 40 miles my lower back started to hurt then i bought the corbin young guns and could probably go to miami and back with no problem though i have yet to do it (a 700 mile round trip) and the lack of any storage is a down fall too but other than that i think the warrior is a great all around machine and dont see myself parting with it any time soon

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
quote:Originally posted by section8

....As for practicality you can't haul what you could on a dedicated curiser, but as for me I am willing to give that up for the looks, performance, style and comfort of the warrior.

When I first got the Warrior I was worried about taking Camping gear etc for a rally but in the end I designed a rack and had it fabbed up and now I can take enough for a week or more away including a very large tent. Where there's a will ..... [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I've had the bike since the spring of 02. I've had a motorcycle for 28 years. The Warrior is what it is. A power cruiser, it's a little mimimalistic there is no place to carry anything, but that's easily cured with a set of soft bags.
Comfort wise I found the stock seat took a really long time to break in, but now that it is it's very comfortable and great looking, I get lots of people asking if it's an aftermarket seat.
Cornering clearance wise, as has already been said in the Cruiser market it's head and sholders above the pack and it will really rail around a corner. I do find that as stable as it feels in a corner it does need constant input. It doesn't just natually flow through a corner at high speeds you need to steer it.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Like others said, it is what it is. If you're wanting to do nothing but long distance rides on it, yes it will do it but it takes some of the fun out of it. I should know, I logged over 40k miles in 2 years on it. But then I realized on what I was missing out. I never really cared for the whole "muscle cruiser" image. I just didn't care. But what I didn't like about it was the feet forward, low ground clearance, small fuel tank, and a PITA to haul a lot of gear for camping. Bottom line, it's still a great bike, just not for what I wanted it for.

I too had designed a rack for it, and with about 10 or 12 bungees (and 20 minutes of rigging) I could get my saddle bags to not rub and keep all my stuff secure. Now with my new bike its now a 1 minute job to pack and unpack. But was the Warrior bad, heck no. It just wasn't meant for what I was doing to it.

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
The Warrior is not the most comfortable. Its not the fastest. It doesnt have sportsbike cornering abilities but it has GOBS more than any other cruiser out there. What it does, it does VERY well and looks **** sexy doing it.

I have an 07 and the seat is my biggest complaint. Foot pegs and handlebars second but once I fix my seat I doubt I would mind the others. Otherwise I havent found one flaw or reason not to love my Warrior.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
The warrior can be made pretty dang comfy. All it requires is a mustang vintage seat w/riders backrest, legends forward controls, bars and risers with more pull back. As fas on board storage goes, I added a trunk, which provides decent storage, for camping, I have a utility trailer, with an ice chest and 20 cubic feet of storage. Can take all the luxuries with me that way.

Insert Image:

·
Registered
776 Posts
ive had my 06 midnight warrior 4 a year now - still crazy about it - no regrets - dont care if the stock seat is not as comfy as some brothers seyz - 3rd bike ive ever owned (1st 1 was a CBR, 2nd 1 was a v-star 1100) still the bestest

·
Registered
288 Posts
as said before, the seat isnt the "most" comfortable, but when you can fly by most bikes out there, your ass doesnt matter. the bike was made to be a tear them all up bike. it sounds awsome, looks even better, and runs like a scalded dawg. i have never gotten anything but compliments on my bike, and the best is when you tell them its a yamahama. thats the best reaction out there. cause it goes like this, "what kind of bike is that?" "its a warrior" "a who?" "yamaha warrior!" "no way, a jap makes that?!" "**** straight" then all they hear is me hauling off in the distance. (long distances away;

Steve

p.s. the warrior CAN tear up the turns, thats me on the dragon(deals gap) i road through it videoing my buddy on his night train( one handed and it kept right there with him the whole time.)

Insert Image:

66.62KB)

·
Registered
214 Posts
i read the same reviews you did but since i rarely ride more than 100 miles on a single ride (the occasional 250 mile ride to vegas) i bought the biking thinking that i could compromise some comfort for hot looking bike. to my surprise the bike is actually pretty **** comfy. it is my first cruiser so i don't have anything else to compare to but my last two bikes were a honda 919 and a triumph speed triple which are two ergonomically correct bikes. it did take a little getting used to, but once i found the correct riding (cruising) position, i don't think i'd have a problem riding a few hundred miles at a time. i don't think you'll regret the purchse. go for it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe it is very comfortable, although I did not try many other bikes, but I mean there are no uncomfotability issue at all. I reckon it is just a little bit heavy on handle bar comparing to other bikes. The only problem I am getting so far is wind when I am riding fast(relatively fast (60-70 for me) (how do you guys even do 100-130 i cannot imagine).
DOnt pay much attention to all that reviews, IMHO they are bespoked. Many of them begin this way : It was nice sunny day and we got..... and so on... you know... My advise is to stick more to consumer discussion like this forum, although this forum will be full of warrior fans only ... hahaha....

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Even though the bike has some comfort issues, there is a large aftermarket that deals with everyone of the issues. There isn't one bike that is perfect... that's what the aftermarket is for. I've dealt with comfort issues bye replacing the bars and the seat. I can ride all day, now, no problem. Comfort, while an issue on a stock bike, can be easily remedied by the aftermarket. Don't let that review scare you away.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I remember the test when Leanne Tweedon said that riding as a passenger on the 02 Warrior was worse than a gynocological exam. I still bought it:}:}

·
Registered
395 Posts
WOW! I think you need a warrior trial ride, if possible go to a dealership a get a trial ride.You'll need insurance card and drivers license. they may want you to sign a release just in case. I think that will answer some of your questions about the bike. you don't sound as though you've ridden a warrior. case closed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When i got my 02 out for the first few rides i would have sold it pretty cheap. I changed up to the yamaha bar risers for the drag bars but used the stock ones . Now it feels very good. It does most things well but takes some time to get to know the beast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts