RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am considering purchasing a Warrior, and am looking for any helpful information you might have about the bike.

What kind of high points and shortcomings does the bike have?
What are the best ways to improve the engine power?
What kind of top speed does it have (also, how fast can you go comfortably)?
How comfortable is the bike on long rides?

I am making a huge jump in the style of bike I am riding (currently have a Vulcan 800), so I am definitely looking for a bike with modest power as the Warrior seems to have; along with the ability to build the engine piece by piece. Any information you might be able to share with me would be great!

Thanks, JS.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Well, this is a great bike, many on this site will say it's the best bike on the market.

That said, its high points are its power and torque are among the best in its class. Along with the power, it's got equally adept handling characteristics. In fact this is the area in which it shines. Of all other power cruisers on the market, the Warrior far and away outclasses any other in its class because of its handling... it pretty much sets the standard.

To improve its already impressive power, there are a few basic mods that will really wake this beast up. These being a Big Air Kit, good exhaust, and the addition and tuning of a Power Commander.

Top speed I can't personally attest to, as I haven't taken my Warrior as high as it will go, however, there are quite a few members that have taken theirs up to 130+ mph.

Comfort level is something that might be lacking straight from the factory, however, there are definitely ways to increase this. I needed to swap out the seat, and install new bars to make it more comfy, but this depends on the individual. Everyone is definitely different. Some people like the riding position from the factory, others like myself have done simple mods like those I mentioned as well as adding foot control extentions, wind sheild of some sort, different grips. These mods also are for aesthetic value as well as comfort, or in some cases in spite of comfort.

These are great questions you ask, but the best thing I can advise you, is ride one, so you can see for yourself... you will see for yourself how great the Warrior is.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Do it! The bike is great... handling, looks, performance. The aftermarket is great and this forum has some of the greatest members on the planet willing to help you at a drop of a hat....

·
Registered
735 Posts
High points-The power, torque, style, fewer on roads than other, crotch rocket handling, light weight cruiser, the respect and envy from most other cyclist no matter what they ride (if they know of the Warrior then, THEY KNOW), endless mods to increase engine performance, looks and comfort, having MOD GODS on this web site who'll help you with anything, this addictive website. [/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

Shortcomings.............for me....not enough $$$ for all the mods I'd like to do. [V]

Speed-my best 110 with no engine mods, Speedstar 2-1-2 pipe, windshield. [8D]

Long rides-more comfortable since I got my Mustang seat but others might tell you they like the stock. I'm planning a 4000 mile trip to Canada this year so we'll find out. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

Closest competitors I consider to Warrior..... V-Rod (not as comfortable) and VTX1800 (way to heavy).

Here's a start......you'll get a lot more posts. Good luck!!! [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Speed w/ SS kit and mini screen 136mph verified by GPS, multiple runs. Of course there was only about a gallon of gas, no mirrors and no scoops on the engine sides.

Max comfortable to sit straight up for me was about 80-85. Bike was okay on long trips, cause you ned to stop about every 100+- miles to refuel.
Stock rear pax accomodation pitiful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. I think I am going to find a dealer that has one ready to ride, and see if I can test it. I was looking at the V-Rod and the VTX1800 for a while, but I think I am definatly liking the look, and the comfort (for the one time I sat on it) of the Warrior.

Word of mouth is the best advertisment out there (good or bad)...please keep it coming.

JS

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
the beauty of the warrior is that you can mod it to your taste. I went for comfort and power. With the proper seat, bars & risers, grips, forward controls, you can make this bike pretty comfy for long rides. But as stated you have to fuel up every 100-140 miles, depending on your speed anyways. On my last major ride, rode 900 miles in on day with no major body pains or aches. Since the warrior is air cooled, it's easy to do performance mods on too. Do a search and you'll find days worth of reading on what people have done and are doing to get the most out of the warrior. Good luck and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pros - sets the standard for "power cruisers". The Harley Rods are technically faster but for half the difference in cost you can set your Warrior up to be faster, more comfortable or both. Plus you will not run into another warrior on every corner. I have had mine up to 120+ and not topped it out. As for comfortable riding 80-90 is about tops without a windscreen. Another nice thing is I personally think the Warrior is best as a "minimalist" type bike. So you are not as tempted to put every silly chrome knob from the JP cycle catalog on it. (another money saving feature)

Cons - just accept that you will drop and extra $1000+ into the BAK, pipes, PCIII upgrade within your 1st year. You really don't need it, but need and want are 2 different things. The only real con is the smallish tank. You only get 100-120 miles between fill ups, but that is a very, very minor gripe.

As for comfort, the stock seat is fine for around the town riding (and looks great if you take the back pillon off). For long distances or riding with a passenger you will want a Mustang or Corbin upgrade.

Get the Warrior, you will not regret it. I went to one from Suzuki Volusia 800 and have not looked longingly at another cruiser-type bike since.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
My Warrior is my fourth street bike I've owned and they've all been cruisers. It's also the first bike I've had to replace the peg feelers on. Top speed on these bike out-of-the box is right around 130 mph. You can run at 85 mph or so very comfortably. At speeds above that the wind makes you have to give a little extra to hold on. No biggie. I like the wind. You could put a windscreen on if it bothers you, but I never _cruise_ at speeds above 85 mph anyway. With the stock seat, long rides are a NIGHTMARE in my opinion. Replace it with an aftermarket seat like Corbin (search the forums to get hundreds of opinions on seats) and you can cruise on it all day long in comfort. I'm not sure I'd classify the Warrior's power as "moderate." Lots of the crotch rockets out there will eat its lunch if you're racing to 100+ mph, but this bike is no joke and will destroy just about anything off of a light including lots of those crotch rockets. If you want, you can go bigger on the motor and really get yourself into trouble. Personally if I want to go any quicker/faster than I can with the simple mods I've already done, then it's time to step up to something like a V-Max. One downfall of this bike is that you'll want to set aside some sort of fund to pay for the rear tires that get eaten up. Overall this bike is BY FAR my favorite bike I've owned. It gets more stares and compliments and questions by people just sitting at a traffic light then you could imagine. Maybe the spiked fenders and the hand grenade side cover have something to do with that, though. [/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
What kind of high points and shortcomings does the bike have?
depends on what your baseline are for both;
as a cruiser, it's top of the heap but can still let you have some fun in the twisties stock.

What are the best ways to improve the engine power?
easy; V-Bak, pipes and Power Comander
harder; big bore kit and/or speedstar kit

What kind of top speed does it have (also, how fast can you go comfortably)?
it will do 125/130 stock but you better be holding on tight!
at highway speeds 80/85 is just right anything above that and your gonna want a windshield to be comfortable

How comfortable is the bike on long rides?
some will say the stocker is ok, I prefer the Corbin and my Phat's Forward Controls. I'm 6'1" and about 280ish and with my setup now I can cruise for a good long way without discomfort.

The beauty of the Warrior is it's versitialty and abundant supply of parts to make it your own. you can set it up to be a canyon carver, a power house cruiser or a tourer it's totaly up to the you. I love mine, does what I want ti to do and looks good doing it [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
539 Posts
This a great bike . I just bought a 05 black cherry I was looking at Vrods myself. I figure for the 5000-7000 dollars you will save you can do alot of mods to make you forget about that vrod .Every mod will make you love it more.I also looked at vtx I used to own a honda but now every one has one no fun that way . No regrets just big smiles[8D][8D]If there is a downfall it would be yamahas clothing line harley kicks are but there .I like to wear my colors proud.I also like the looks iget when i ride people most break their neck trying to get a look as their going by you .Proud owner Yamaha rocks the tuning fork rules.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Warrior! You can set it up to your personal taste. Comfort, power, speed and handling!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Just got mine, an 06, last Saturday. I'm 5'7'' and find the stock seat and handlebars quite comfortable so far. I'm not an experienced rider but got it up to 120mph with no problem and very little pucker factor. Very stable smooth ride. After you fall in love with this bike you will get addicited to this web site! these guys are great!

·
Registered
326 Posts
The only problem with the bike that i have found is that the mod bug hits u hard and fast just be ready for it. besides that it is the best bike out there. if u like turn and want to be different go with it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts