RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again!!!!!!!!...........I asked this question a few months ago but considering the information on some of the posts coming back i think its time to re-visit this topic
So far we have warriors coming back from the re-call with loose bolts, oil leaks, strange noises, plug wires not connected and even one with 96mm pistons put in it!
Is anyone else strongly considering NOT doing this re-call? I for one am really considering taking my chances with a tranny that has only 2 possible failures on this board vs the POTENTIAL problems from a complete re-build.
I have OE HC pistons sitting at home waiting for my call, i have been riding non-stop(live in new orleans so its never really cold) with no problems with this bike. i have concluded all along that there is a real risk of a tranny failure but a greater risk of problems arising from this re-build!
any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
All I had was one screw vibrate off and after almost 300 miles, the damned bike is running strong, no leaks (knock wood), all is well.

There are two Yamaha dealers near me. One is 5 miles - the other almost 30.

The one farther away, their service dept. is outstanding. The manager owns a Roadstar and the lead mechanic doing ALL of the recall work has 30 years experience turning wrenches.

The dealer 5 miles from here couldn't tell their ass from a hole in the ground, so I made the decision to take the bike North.

Take your bike to a dealer who has experience,credibility and is going to stand behind you if something does go wrong after the work is done.

You've noted in your post reported "problems" after the recall. There are also a bunch of posts regarding particular dealerships who are relatively clueless.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I still think it's a toss up. Yeah, you can (HOPEFULLY-cross your fingers) get some mods done while they're in there digging around, but there still isn't enough fact based info on the Warrior. There was ONE post where someone had odd wear with just under 400 miles, all the others say they had no abnormal wear on the replaced parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IM going off the old saying "if it aint broke dont fix it". my truck is 8 years old and has 100,000 miles with no problems. then had an internal transmission problem fixed and it has been back to the shop 3 times for leaking oil and its still leaking oil and everytime its been in a different place. so much for "re-build" i quess.
so here we go with my warrior, runds great, not a drip ever and its gonna be torn down and "re-built".
we have seen only 2 possible tranny failures in 2 years but we have seen numerous problems in less than a month since the warriors have been called in for their "kits".
if this was a million dollars, which way would the odds dictate to bet???

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
There have only been a couple of reported service related problems. Most not serious. Nobody got 96mm pistons, go back and re-read that other post. 96 was the die set stamped into the piston.

While I personally believe the warrior recall is mostly CYA on Yamaha's part, I will still be taking my bike in when my kit arrives. But not until I get my HC pistons. Until that happens I will be riding. If it would just warm up.[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

·
Registered
31 Posts
vick, I hear what your saying. yes, not doing the recall has crossed my mind, my rationale was similar to yours - failure rate vs. post recall problems. at this time I'm still riding but, I see myself eventually performing the recall. I've been taking a wait and see approach. the thought of my "baby" being gutted by someone that may or may not have the appropriate skills and resources does not make me feel good. I also have been waiting for some status on the class action solution. good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the feedback, im not saying im not doing the re-call. one of the members of this forum will be the mech doing my re-call. i have spoke to him over e-mail and he seems like hes on top of all this.
i have not spoken to the dealership yet to see how there gonna handle a warrenty or problems later on.
but come on guys, most warrior owners are only getting 30 day warrentys if any, and like i said before, the POTENTIAL for greater problems down the road exist from even the smallest thing not being done properly.
the warrior is the best bike i have ever owned and i have had over 30 bikes. i will be okay with this if my dealer will correct any problems that may come up later regarding the work performed and they may, i have not really talked to them.
just seems like the more i read on this site the more my worst fears seem to be happening to some of the other guys here

1 - 8 of 8 Posts