RS Warrior Forum banner

Correct Helmet Size

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Bismarck 
#1 ·
I have just purchased a new Shoei helmet in size Medium, it fits a little too snug for my taste. Its a full face helmet. Previously I wore a large, it was comfortible, though a little too loose maybe. The guy at the helmet shop was saying that helmet must be fit to your head, meaning hugs it tight.

To be honest I am now doubting my purchase. I think I want something that is most comfortible... Any opinion on this topic from anyone?

Does anyone knows what the sizing charts are?

Bismarck

#2 ·
The guy is correct, the helmet really should be a snug fit to your head for its effectiveness to be optimum. The Shoei website does a decent job of describing what a "good" fit is; bottom line it should be as snug as you can tolerate, definitely should not move around ON your head. Rather, if you try to move the helmet on your head, your scalp and cheek skin should move WITH it. I like to find the one that seems to feel most "comfortable" and then work downwards in size from there.

Often the most "comfortable" fit is too big. Here is a sizing chart that applies to various makes:

http://www.helmetharbor.com/helmet_size.htm

Don't want to go overboard and get a helmet that is so painfully tight it would qualify as an instrument of torture, OK, just a snug fit!

Good luck!

#3 ·
You might look into an Arai helmet, they are the absolute best quality you can buy, plus they are passionate about proper fit. They go so far as to have different shapes for each of the helmet models they offer, so a meduim on a Signet GT will fit entirely different than lets say a RX7-RR. So you don't just go out an buy a helmet based on size, you actually need to get fitted and try on a few different models to see which matches your head size best. I had the pleasure to work besides them a few weeks ago in Long Beach at the International Motorcycle Show and came away with a whole new perspective on what to look for in a helmet. I will say this Arai helmets are not cheap, but there is a reason thay are not.

You know what they say....if you have a $10 head buy a $10 helmet....

Good Luck

#4 ·
It takes awhile to break in a full face. It should fit pretty snug when new & the padding will eventually conform to your head. Winter is the best time to break in a new helmet, doin it myself. I get a new one every 3-4 years as they tend to get loose after awhile.

#5 ·
Well,

I guess then the helmet that I have is the right size. However the one that I bought in 1992 is a Yamaha branded Shoei which was actually a model M49 or M90, it was $400 back then and came with a couple of air shields you would call them, one under the chin and one that goes over the mounth and nose.

That one is a large and is a little too big, any idea on what my options are? Its a beautiful helmet and matches my TZR250, so I would like to keep it if I can.

#6 ·
Bismarck, I had a problem with the fullface Shoei when I was helmet shopping and it just didn't matter what model it was. A medium just felt like it smashed my head, but the next size up was too big. The Arai medium fit perfectly... (I ended up getting a Quantum/f) just snug, but not cutting off the blood supply. I was told that some brands fit better than others depending on the shape of your head. The Shoei fits a head thats more oblong (ie longer front to back than side to side) and the Arai helmet fits a round head. I think you should try the Arai and compare. Bronch

#7 ·
When I went shopping for my first helmet a friend gave me the advice to just try as many as possible before making the purchase, and then get the one that feels right in model, but one size too tight. Different brands and models fit different head shapes, so there is usually a model out there that fits just perfect. And it should be really tight when new, then it will break in and feel right after a month or two. If it feels comfortable when new it will probably be too large after a while, which may still feel comfortable but will not offer the best protection.

I ended up getting the Roof Boxer, which incidentally looks really cool and is a very versatile helmet. Full face with a flip front, and looks aggressive enough for a custom biker (a bit like a helicopter pilot helmet).

#9 ·
And if you do decide to go with another helmet other than your Shoei, be sure to check out the HJC AC-10. Fiberglass, Kevlar, Spectra and ABS combined to give you one of the lightest Snell-2000 rated full face helmets with removable liner on the market.

I really like mine (which is a large), I found it hard to beat for the price ($200 and under depending on how much shopping effort you want to expend).

#11 ·
Bismarck, Rob and others are right. You should look at an Arai helmet. In 1998, I purchased a Shoei RF800. It was a great helmet but I experienced severe pain in my forehead after about 20 minutes of use. I tried the next size up but it was too big. I researched and found that Arai had two (now have three) distinct helmet shapes to fit different type heads. The Arai Renegade and Signet models fit people with a long oval head shape (oblong - or longer front to back than side to side), and the Quantum and I believe RX7 fitting the round oval head shape. I tried the Renegade and it was perfect, great fit and comfort with absolutely no forehead pain. I have heard that Shoei is doing a better job with their shapes but in my experience if you have a long oval head shape, then forget Shoei.

#15 ·
OK,

Tried a few helmets today. Between the Arai, and Shoei and a whole bunch of other ones.... Must admit, it was hard to tell which is the right one as all of them felt tight to a aguy who has been wearing a loose helmet for a decade...

It seems the medium in Arai and Shoe RF900 still seems to fit me best. I also tried a Z91 Shoei but it was not as good. The only thing that I changed is I got the Yamaha factory Shoei, it for some reason felt a little more comfortible... So all this did end up inchanging the helmet, but not the size !!!

Thanks to all who helped out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.