RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the more i read about the trans. recall mess the less i know. but given the information at hand it will cost us all $. first we will be without our bikes for the repair, they will be installing new piston rings as part of the recall so that means break-in all over again. which means oil change at 700+_ mi. cost? at the dealers around my town they still have roadstars and warriors on the floor for sale today i asked one sales guy about buying a warrior 02 leftover, if any problems with the bike ...he said no problem he would make me a good deal on the bike. nothing about the recall????????is that good business practice for yamaha. i don't think we're being told everything myself. gkeen

·
Registered
490 Posts
alot of the dealers don't know of the recall yet you may want to tell him to contact yama and find out about it before you buy one

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
There is no cost to you for the recall work, If that is all that they do. If you choose to upgrade some parts while the bike is torn apart that will cost you money. You may choose to upgrade pistons, cams, springs, clutch, oil drive gear, etc...

As for the leftovers, they are all included in the recall and the work will have to be done. The first time one of those bikes showas up at a dealer for service the computer should catch it and put a hold on the bike from leaving the dealership until the repair is made. As it was explained to me, "Your bike will be held hostage as soon as it gets to the dealership..."

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
484 Posts
The recall bulletin from Yamaha says, "Motorcycles that are affected should not be operated until they are modified. It is a violation of Yamaha policy for your dealership to deliver any affected motorcycles to customers until the procedures in this bulletin are performed."

·
Registered
145 Posts
We own our bikes!! A Yamaha dealer can not impound your bike without your cooperation and permission!! If it were only true, we could pick on one area dealer and completely fill his/her showroom and shop with Warriors and RoadStars...this I would participate in!! Might help expedite repair kit order!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Enough already.... there are soldiers dying today in Iraq and all we can worry about is what this **** recall will cost us? Who freakn cares!? That's life.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Skint=broke=up sh$t creek=problem

I just spoke to my dealer and they tell me that Yamaha have only allocated 10 hours for the dealers to carry out the repairs. This isn't very long when you have got to strip the lot down!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Just spoke to Yamaha UK and they say that because my bike is imported from the US they won't pay for the parts or labour for the recall work /emoticons/emotion-1.gif what a nice bunch they are. Wish me luck having some words with them to try and sort this out.

Oh, I was wrong about the 10 hours, now I hear it's 12.5 hours labour.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Oly, that just does not sound right. Never mind what you hear, get it in writing, black on white is what counts and that says 9.5 hrs. O yea....Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
I called my dealer and he told me he can't get the parts until mid Feb, I'm second on the list but I'm real nervous about riding it now. Doing 65 and having the rear wheel lock up does not sound interesting to me. PS apparently I knew about the recall before they did...that does not sound like a good company (YAMAHA) that informs its dealers...

·
Registered
15 Posts
oops...my dealer says Yami alotted 9 hours for a 13 hour job...interesting. I just hope they don't scrunge these things together like they do on monster garage at the last minute

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ok, I don't know if this has been brought up, but if you can't ride it, how do you get it there if you don't have the means? The dealer will gladly pick it up for a charge, but why should we pay or them absorb the cost? I will be contacting Yamaha shortly.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Deep sigh!!! I'm not going to stop riding... We all know about this recall and some of us have even arranged to have our Warriors taken care of once the tranny recall parts get in (as I've arranged with my dealer). And I will ride it there as weather permits (in the south so all I have to worry about is too cold and/or rainy). As far as the oil change after the 700 miles beyond repair... I'm not going to sweat that either... maybe change it then, maybe not... may even DIM (you know DIY). Is skint a condition from boxers getting knotted up (haha)?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My Service Manager has been wrenching yamaha bikes for 20 years and I tend to believe what he says. Here's what I hear........Yamaha is covering their butts but telling us to not ride the bikes until they are fixed. Unfortunately, that has put the fear of god in all of us, and but not rightfully so, in my opinion, but at least they got the word out there, if not the parts yet. From the explanation I got, the breakage has never happened to a Roadie or a Warrior while it was being riden. Company wide, there have only been 5 bikes this has happened to and my mechanic saw it happen to the only O3 Warrior this last summer. It happened the same way it did to the Roadies, pushing the bike! The back wheel did lock up. It is my understanding that the way the tranny is engineered, the clip has something to do with 4th gear and doesnt come into play when the bike is screaming down the road at 70mph. For me.........taking all this, and the fact that, just like everyone else, the Yamaha has NOT supplied the dealers with the parts yet so I am waiting also, I am riding until I get a call that the part is in. Which by the way will not be anytime soon also. But then again it is winter here in Cincinnati so I have couple more months to wait. As far as the time it takes to fix the bike, I hear Yamaha is allowing 8 hours to the dealers but my mechanic says it is closer to 16 by the time they tear the tranny down (and oh, by the way, you get new rings!) and put it all back together again. There should be no charge to us though. I contacted my attorney and the dealer wouldnt have a leg to stand on, nor could they keep your bike. Dont ride if you dont feel comfortable, I am only riding because I just dont feel like it is such a big problem from the info I got. To each his own and ride safe.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts