RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a daft question, but does the front drive pulley nut have to be removed when fitting the new CPS ? I have had a quick look at my bike and cannot see any reason why it should have to. I have heard some members saying it does. Which is the correct answer?
Can any one post up some pictures of the CPS in its place if possible. ......Thanks......Frec......U.K..

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
You don't need to remove the front pulley nut to remove the CPS, it is another recall in conjunction with the CPS. (look up front pulley red dust, there is a problem with the pulley nut coming loose)

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Its yamaha way of bunching yet another recall in with the fourth.. Five recalls in as many years.. Ohh my.. My wife said "I thought you said yamaha's were bullet proof".. After she froze from my look I said all but this one...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I recently had my 02 warrior with 5200 miles on it in the shop and they found out my pulley nut was loose and I have to buy a new driveshaft and pulley -- 4-500 dollars later I am ready to go. Does anyone know if they were including anything in regard to the pulley for the recall or just tightening it?

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
There replacing the NUT but since they have admitted the problem it can't hurt to ask for check for that $500.

·
Registered
62 Posts
the dealer told me they dont have to take the pulley off to do it. and that they havent been taking it off. is there an updated pulley nut they need to be putting on there as part of the recall.

·
Premium Member
8,866 Posts
You guys DON'T have the story correct IMO. This is not a pulley nut recall also [^] so humor me and read the enclosed as well as the recall bulletinIf you read the factory service recall they are removing parts from the left side of the bike to get at the harness straps that retain the CPS cable on the frame of the bike. I call this open heart surgery [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]If you check the mat'l req'd you will see that for earlier bikes they call for the tabbed washer (02~05) and later bikes (06~07) they call for the new design locknut.If you download the bulletin and read it completely it's obvious.When i replaced my CPS last year i had to cut the electrical connector under the seat to pull the cable out. I tried coming from the left side engine cover to get at the harness tie strap but to no avail. It would have been necessary to set aside the aux gas tank [:0]The new CPS could have been snaked through the harness, time permitting, but i chose not to as i was anxious to get the bike up and running to prove out the failure. I've revisited the cable routing after many miles and there is no problem.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My pulley nut came loose and the shaft/pulley need to be replaced. I wonder if Yamaha is keeping track of how many are screwed up? I wonder if I can get them to pay for the replacement? If there are enough of us in the same boat there may be hope. As they do the cps recall they are going to see any bikes that have a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,866 Posts
Only if the bike is still under warranty will they replace the middle shaft. Mine '04' went out at approx 7800 miles within the 1st 12 months of ownership so i was covered [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]
quote:Originally posted by grady

My pulley nut came loose and the shaft/pulley need to be replaced. I wonder if Yamaha is keeping track of how many are screwed up? I wonder if I can get them to pay for the replacement? If there are enough of us in the same boat there may be hope. As they do the cps recall they are going to see any bikes that have a problem.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Alan, I will ever doubt your knowledge becuase you are the one of the great gurus on this forum. But I can not see why they are replacing anything pulley related. When the Yamiha Regional Tech did my CPS replacement after deal's Gap last year, we went through the manual to replace the CPS and there was no need to take the pulley cover off. He did take of the aux tank's cover.

I am having my new bike being built now. I will try to get a comparison of the new nut vs the old nut. I wonder what is the difference in the components?

I am also the type of guy who wonders why the glass is half full, even though I've been drinking from it since it was full[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
I did a cps replace on my brothers warrior (05 model) and did not remove the auxillary tank nor the drive pulley. I cut the wire ties and fished it through the frame and wires with a piece of coat hanger. It worked well.

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
Does the whole harness get replaced?
The previous owner did't know how to work on the bike and cut the harness to remove the cover for a repaint. If it's replaced I won't bother buying a new one.
Boy, he felt like a dumbass when I lifted the ECU and said you disconnect here... I purposely left mine loose after doing my trans recall for clutch work. I did the same for Onager. (I hope he can appreciate this).

·
Premium Member
8,866 Posts
JPWARRIOR... i guess i'm ready for clutch work then [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]
quote:Originally posted by JPWARRIOR

I purposely left mine loose after doing my trans recall for clutch work. I did the same for Onager. (I hope he can appreciate this).

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Jon_Cocktoastel

A nut check is not a bad thing

Just checked my nuts and they feel just like they always do. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts